The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Way of Kings (2010)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight Archive (1), Cosmere (6)

3,8301691,913 (4.43)2 / 245
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (167)  French (1)  All languages (168)
Im becoming a huge fan of Sanderson. I just finished the first two books in the series and must say that I'm very impressed. My understanding is that this is going to be a long running series. For a first installment, this does an excellent job of setting things up and I am very invested in the characters already. I can't wait to see what comes next, hopefully the entire series lives up to the standard set in the first book. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Scratching my itch for some epic fantasy. It isn't terrible. Sanderson is good at writing action. He is not good at writing characters. There is no depth. Everyone thinks like a thirteen-year-old. I don't know that Sanderson is trying for a YA sensibility, rather I think this is probably all he can write. The magic system is amusingly imaginative. The geopolitical situation is implausible (an endless war fought between a coalition and aliens, on a natural arena—a plateau crisscrossed by wadi, set up this way to allow for an underclass of soldiers who carry portable bridges).

There is lots of foreshadowing. Great Things are going to happen, and the main character will be ready. I'm happy enough to stop here. ( )
  breic | Sep 19, 2018 |
The start of an epic fantasy in a very well fleshed out world and interesting magic system. This book is for someone who wants to know and understand everything with a fantasy world and its magic system. The characters are great and the story is interesting, but the wonder of the world is the most compelling. The author does a good job of explaining everything slowly throughout the book that it doesn't bog anything down. The plot is more of a starter point and gets very good at the end. The 2 main characters have their main story of an empowered slave and a family supporting thief that get completed in the book, but it constantly hints at there be something more which I'm sure will be expanded on later in the series. The prose is a bit basic but didn't take away the enjoyment of the book. ( )
  renbedell | Sep 10, 2018 |

The Way of Kings clocks in at 1007 pages in hard copy, which makes it the third longest book I have read so far this year (after Gone With the Wind and Islandia). It’s a decent epic fantasy, with three main characters - royal prince, disgraced but talented soldier, young woman who is deciding between theft and scholarship - in a world where humans battle non-humans atop very peculiar geology, with magic oozing from the pores of a lucky (or unlucky) few. The detail is good and the conclusion dramatic, with matters well set up for the next volume, but it’s a very long journey to get there. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 1, 2018 |
**The Stormlight Archive** looks like it's going to be outstanding Fantasy – *Brandon Sanderson* starts out with a nearly flawless first volume with **The Way of Kings**. We get a fascinating, complex world, with slow, steady, and subtle worldbuilding (except for a bit of on-the-nose "I'm explaining the rules here" in the first five pages). This world has a lot of distinct cultures, with histories, and mythologies (partly connected, partly separate), and we get to figure it out mostly for ourselves! The story is fairly unpredictable (at least for more than a hundred pages at a time or so), the characters are distinct, mostly lovable or at least understandable, and not Mary Sue-ish at all. One of the protagonists has to deal with explicit depressive episodes, for example. It's a long book, but it's very much worth it, and while at times characters seem like Fantasy archetypes (is that Ned Stark? Is that Hermione?) – that never lasts long, and instead they evolve to be distinct characters that I can't wait to read more about. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

Too kindly
And too wonderful
For words
But I try anyway.
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible