The Way of Kings (2010)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight Archive (1), Cosmere (6)

5,8292301,296 (4.45)2 / 287
Introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery, and a woman who is desperate to save her impoverished house.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (227)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (229)
I'm going to have to review my list, but this might be the best book I read (or at least started) in 2010. It might also be the best book I've read in 2011 and we're only 1 week in. I love the way this book made me think and question, not just what was happening in the storyline (and that's good too) but the way it presented topics and ideas that really spoke on a much deeper level than just "telling a story".

The initial hook in the prelude was excellent and caught my attention immediately. Sanderson has done an excellent of job of having fantastical magic alongside side of fantastical technology with creative uses for both.

This weekend, I listened to the author on a podcast talking about ways in which authors can unintentionally offend readers - one that was pointed out specifically was the concept of "open moralizing" - of preaching to the reader a particular set of values or ideas without giving the characters in the book any kind of real buy-in of those ideas. The authors discussing this topic mentioned that one way around it is to have the characters naturally figure out the "moral" of the story on their own.

Sanderson did an excellent job of this - by the end of the book, you know the moral and ethical beliefs of the main characters of the book and you know exactly the message Sanderson was giving with it. But it never once felt preachy or contrived. All of the characters have real struggles, real conflict that they must overcome before coming to their own personal realization of that message and what that message means for them. It was this process of looking through the conflict of the characters that really led me to questioning and examining things on my own.

Great book - I'm just bummed that I have to wait so long for the next one. ( )
  youngheart80 | Jun 15, 2021 |
This is the first book of Brandon Sandersons, The Stormlight Archive series -- which at the time of this writing has only 2 books released for it with about 10 total to be written. The story follows a number of characters involved in a world at war with the Parshendi, a mysterious race close by. Like other Sanderson novels, there is a magical element which is slowly revealed. Although I enjoyed Mistborn more, I identified with the characters in Way of Kings more. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I gave 4 stars because it takes way too long to start, but overall it is a very good book! ( )
  EricLamontagne | May 21, 2021 |
This book is a truly amazing adventure; masterful storytelling.

I am not going to say that this is the best high fantasy book ever written, because Tolkien exists. However, I can honestly say that it had been a long, long time since I read a book that completely transported me into a whole different world like the Way of Kings did.

I mean... I couldn't even sleep! I was able to control myself during weekdays, I have to work after all, but on the weekends I could barely breathe. I couldn't sleep at night, because I was so anxious for morning to arrive, just because I wanted to keep on reading. I felt like a child waiting for Christmas morning. This is how impactful this book was on me. ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
Ha sido una de las mejores experiencias leyendo de mi vida, este libro no sólo se ha convertido en mi libro favorito de fantasía, sino que además ha pasado a ser uno de mis libros favoritos.
Personajes: 10

Too kindly
And too wonderful
For words
But I try anyway.
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,036,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible