The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Way of Kings (2010)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight Archive (1), Cosmere (6)

4,0951751,780 (4.43)2 / 256
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (172)  French (1)  All languages (173)
9/10/17 review
I enjoyed this book the first time through, but it's so much better on second reading. Now that I'm not working so hard to get to know new people and get a handle on the worldbuilding, I have brain space to concentrate on other things. Like how masterfully Sanderson writes these characters. Foreshadowing I didn't notice before. Sanderson has improved so much as a writer. This is the series he's waited years to publish, and I'm glad he waited to get it out into the world; it's all the better for it.

3/22/14 review, 5 stars
Add me to the group of people who read this book and thought it was really good. Actually, is there even a group of people who read the book and didn't like it? They must be a sad, lonely group.

I joined the Stormlight party a bit late. I believe I was in the middle of a Wheel of Time re-read when this book came out, and when I finished it I needed a break from epic fantasy, so I decided to wait until the 2nd book came out to read this one. As expected, I spent the first few hundred pages feeling overwhelmed with yet another complex Sanderson world and mixing up characters. But around page 300 or so, things clicked into place for me and it was basically pure entertainment from there.

Sanderson has shown us once again that there is so much that can be done in the epic fantasy genre. My favorite thing about this book is that it didn't remind me of any other fantasy book I've read (except for Sanderson's own books, including Wheel of Time). It's a truly unique world with very interesting characters. I'm excited to see where Sanderson takes this massive series. ( )
  AngelClaw | Apr 5, 2019 |
I recently finished the first of Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series, and as with his other work that I have read (mostly the Mistborn trilogy) it really pulled me in. It took me a little time to get into it at first, but after that it was difficult to put down, even the supposedly “slower” parts. Sanderson has created a large, complex, and very interesting world, and I’m now eager to read the rest of the series!

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Jasnah Kholin and Kaladin are my two favorite characters so far, although I like Shallan and Dalinar as well. Jasnah is a very interesting person, and I like her thoughts and attitude, her deep love of learning, and her determination to get to the truth about her world. I like Kaladin for his determination to not give up, and to make the most of whatever situation he finds himself in. Revelations at the end of this first book now make me especially eager to know what happens next.

Sanderson does a good job of building different cultures in the different geographical parts of his world, and showing how they vary depending on their distance from some of the world’s dangers (such as the highstorms), and how they interact with each other and have influenced each other over time.

I would recommend this to anyone who like long, epic fantasy stories, with many characters and complex world-building. ( )
  ethelindaw | Mar 23, 2019 |
One of my favorite books. ( )
  Nick_G | Feb 19, 2019 |
With Words of Radiance out, I realized I needed a reread to get all of the characters and events straight.

The Way of Kings is the first installment of a projected ten book epic fantasy saga by powerhouse professional* writer Brandon Sanderson. Most fantasy novels have such an aura of cheese around them I can't bring myself to invest increasingly valuable time with them - but Sanderson's tasteful completion of The Wheel of Time peaked my interest.

The setting, the continent of Roshar, possesses a sense of history and culture, which is to be expected, but what I felt set Roshar apart from most fantasy settings is the approach Sanderson took towards an alien culture and a foreign biology. Sanderson doesn't trifle with the usual stands of iron oaks and medieval castles (and 'inspiration' from historical events as plot) to set a scene. Sanderson crosses boundaries and treats his fantasy world the way the best science fiction authors do: as a thought experiment. How would our world look if it was beset by fierce unpredictable storms that could toss boulders, what species would survive, and in what forms and how would people adapt? That is just one of the aspects of Roshar that Sanderson has set into place, a foundation that he builds his nations, religions and people onto.

Sanderson takes many of the stock characters of fantasy: the determined princess, the fallen knight, the old warhorse, and the chosen-one and twists them enough to give them new meaning and prevents events from becoming too predictable. I enjoyed his use of epigraphs from fictional in-world texts before each chapter a la Dune and the illustrations coming from characters' own hands or future scholars. This being my second read, a few flaws came out - the boredom of invincibility being one - but all in all I was really taken in.

In part because of that, Shallan, as the most vulnerable of the protagonists, remains my favorite. A lifestyle of scholarship and jam-dates doesn't hurt either. Could have used a lot less of her wit though. Wit, on the other hand....hooked.

*Thank you for keeping your self-imposed deadlines! ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I'm not a reader who has to finish every book that I start - if a book isn't holding my attention, I won't bother reading until the last page. The fact that this book of 1200+ pages kept me hooked right until the end is a strong recommendation. It's epic fantasy, with lots of sword and sorcery, and has an excellent balance between world-building and action. I also thought that the characters were portrayed with a realistic mix of both admirable characteristics and flaws. Sanderson sets up a lot of questions that aren't answered by the end of the first volume, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  Erratic_Charmer | Jan 27, 2019 |

Too kindly
And too wonderful
For words
But I try anyway.
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible