The Black Prism by Brent Weeks

The Black Prism (2010)

by Brent Weeks

Recently added byprivate library, wattenhr, Erina39, atkinseh, reginaplove, aratiel, bluechill, Mocate

The story was very original, highly detailed and well executed. It just wasn't quite to my taste. However, I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read it rather than listened to it in 1/2 hour installments while commuting.
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
Unique magic system, awesome twists, very cool. ( )
  TalinW | May 6, 2018 |
Kip is the son of a drug-addicted mother and absent father, a nobody from nowhere (a village called Rekton). Gavin Guile is the Prism, a man of incredible power and prestige but who holds a terrible secret. And Karris is his former betrothed, now a woman in the elite Blackguard that serves the Prism. Their land, where magic is wielded by some who can bend light of certain colors to their will, is in jeopardy when one of the seven satraps makes himself King over a land that has been trampled every since the Prism War sixteen years before.

This sprawling, epic fantasy has it all: world-building, great characters, complex history and storyline, and a unique magical system. Though it's a massive tome, the pages read quickly and I was entirely invested in what happened to the characters. It is pretty violent - this is war, and the author doesn't hesitate to describe what happens in battle - but I found myself so immersed in what was happening that most of the time I was able to overlook or skim gruesome details. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 24, 2018 |
dnf ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |
I loved this book. The Black Prism has everything needed for a great and compelling fantasy series. Brent has a new fan. ( )
  grouchygrammarian | Mar 19, 2018 |
To my wife, Kristi, Who's spent the better part of a decade proving me right
Kip crawled toward the battlefield in the darkness, the mist pressing down, blotting out sound, scattering starlight.

When Gavin Guile--high priest and emperor, the most powerful man in the world known to all as the Prism--discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.… (more)

Orbit Books

3 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316075558, 0316068136, 0316246271

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,925,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible