Mistborn: The Final Empire

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Cosmere (2), Mistborn (1)

9,246365642 (4.29)1 / 596
Experiencing an epiphany within the most daunting prison of the monstrous Lord Ruler, half-Skaa Kelsier finds himself taking on the powers of a Mistborn, and teams up with ragged orphan Vin in a desperate plot to save their world.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    Boundaries and other tales of Valdemar by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (359)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (365)
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. ( )
  MinaSmith12345 | Jan 26, 2022 |
This is a review for all three parts of The Final Empire

This has been a magnificent experience. Not only is this my first Sanderson book, it's my first Graphic Audio book and I am amazed by the quality of both. I don't have much to say that hasn't been said before by others better than me at this, but I just want to share how much I loved this book.

First, the atmosphere created by the audiobook felt perfect for the book (I know, duuh, but I've tried to listen to audiobooks that didn't feel like they embodied the work so I've learnt to appreciate it). This is one of my first experiences with a full cast book, since I usually prefer a sole narrator, I thought it would be bothersome, but I really enjoyed the acting. All in all, now I want to listen to all Graphic Audio books.

Second, the story. I think Sanderson is brilliant at describing character's motivations and thoughts and waving a story through them. Vin and Kelsier and all the secondary characters had really distinct personalities and motivations and they were fascinating. The way the story went with its twists and turns until we get that final reveal was fun. I may have spoiled myself a couple of key elements about this universe but I am still very curious to know how what happens next happens.
I know I am new to "serious" fantasy books, but this one felt original and exciting, the worldbuilding was cool and I am really curious to know more about allomancy and feruchemy work. What I most excited about though is reading any more books from this author. If this is was his first trilogya nd I am enjoying it this much, I can't wait to get to his latter work. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
*** ITA/ENG ***
Mi è piaciuto parecchio, cosa non frequente per i fantasy 'mattone', che ultimamente soffrono di eccessiva lunghezza rispetto alla storia che vogliono raccontare.

Questo romanzo resta lento in alcuni punti, qualcosina in più si poteva tagliare, ma, pur facendo parte di una saga, ha un arco narrativo che si conclude in maniera più che soddisfacente all'interno del primo volume, per cui continuare è una scelta, ma non una costrizione per capirci qualcosa.

La trama è ben costruita, con pochi 'luoghi comuni' e qualche bella sorpresa. La storia d'amore è forse un po' affrettata, ma è perfettamente perdonata vista l'assenza del triangolo amoroso inutile! Giubilio!, e sebbene di alcuni personaggio secondari non ricordi già nemmeno il nome, nel complesso è stato molto godibile.
**************

Considering the plot/length ratio, I can say to be satisfied of this novel. Lately, fantasy have become too long for the story they want to tell, especially if they are parts of a series. but in this one there is an arc that ends with the book, and to keep going feels more of a choice than the only way to know "what in the world is going on with these people".

I found the secondary characters quire forgettable, unfortunately, and the story dragged a bit in some parts, but if you love the genre I think it's a worthy read, with some decent twists and not too many cliches (the useless love triangle I was fearing did not happen, whoo!).

Letto per le sfide
1. Trim your TBR - Libro #09, per la task Un libro che avete in comune con la Mod, ma che nessuno dei due ha letto.
2. Alphabet 2020 per Un libro di un autore di cui il cognome inizi per H
3. Extra-Large 2020 - Modalità difficile (2/9, #704 pagine).
4. Esimio sconosciuto 2020 - (5/5!) ( )
  JaqJaq | Jan 7, 2022 |
I really loved the novel ways of magical powers Sanderson comes up with. They're not exactly magical, though, they're supernatural powers that have a source, and that source can run out.

In this sequel, the world is set for things to unfold, and we get to know the main characters.

I struggled with the narration at first, thinking it didn't have enough emphasis, but it got better and better in the course of the story. It matches the story wonderfully. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
I just finished and was very impressed, this is the first Sanderson novel that I've read. I liked the characters especially Vin she was complex and troubled, sometimes with characters like her their internal monologue can get annoyingly repetitive thankfully I think Sanderson handled her beautifully.

I liked the setting the world that he created, I have a question about the city Luthadel did it evoke a Victorian London as portrayed in the Difference Engine, with the ash being the coal dust and the mist the oppressive fog in London. Did anyone else feel that way if not how did you picture the city?

I particularly enjoyed the magic system, I hate magic that doesn't follow any rules, where the hero defeats the villain with some spell that shows up at the end. Allomancy and Feruchemy made sense they complemented each other and Vin's final solution makes sense

Now onward to book 2 hope it's just as good. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |

Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,361,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible