Dune (1965)

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (1), Dune: complete chronology (13)

32,38451856 (4.28)4 / 917
Here is the novel that will be forever considered a triumph of the imagination. Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'Dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family-and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream. A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what it undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.… (more)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    The Word for World Is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Duncan Idaho is not so unlike Kit Solent
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    Marrow by Robert Reed (Sandwich76)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington (Sandwich76)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.

1960s (21)

English (507)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (514)
AMAZING.
  valeyardx91 | Apr 22, 2021 |
As Frank Herbert's son pumps out a Dune novel nearly every year with co-author Kevin J. Anderson, I'm constantly reminded by how good this book is and how its power will never again be replicated.

This novel is one of the greatest novels of all time. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I've put off reading Dune for such a long time and honestly I don't know why. But with Villeneuve's epic looming, I thought it would be a great time to knock one off my reading list and the completely expected thing happened. I loved it. Surprise. ( )
  althomas39 | Apr 20, 2021 |
An absolute classic in every sense of the word. Truly a wonderful piece of art. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
Dune by Frank Herbert. Noted by many as a masterpiece in the sci-fi genre. When I first picked up the book and saw how thick it was, a jam packed 800 page epic, I thought to myself "holy crap what have I gotten myself into??" But as I read page after page, I was plucked out my world and tossed into the dangerous and mystical planet of Dune.

The story follows the life of Paul Atreides, a young prince and son of Duke Leto and his queen the Lady Jessica. They are one family of royalty out of a group of Houses, which are families which rule their own planets. After some events unfold, the family inherits a planet called Arrakis, which is also known as Dune. It is a desert planet, dry and humid that has a valuable spice in which the other imperial Houses wish to control. Baron Harkonnen, the miserly and barbarous ruler of House Harkonnen wants to rule the spice and this is where the feud begins.

I will admit it was a bit tough to get into at first. Herbert shoves a whole lot of information down your throat in the first 2 chapters or so and barely gives you time to chew! I'm glad I continued because once it clicks it clicks.

The themes touched upon are a mix of politics, environmentalism, mythology and religion. Some vocabulary used by Herbert is made up so first time readers aren't going to know what they mean however the very back of the book has a glossary defining those terms. Many science fiction books are this way and this one is no different.

This is a definite re-read for me. This story is damn epic and amazing and energetic rolled up into a ball of awesomeness. Herbert does a fantastic job at making the story play visually like a movie reel in your mind as the pages are turned. The characters are engaging and you'll be rooting for Paul Atreides the whole way. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
Why is Blanch’s influence on Dune worth recognizing? Celebrating Blanch is not a means to discredit Herbert, whose imaginative novel transcends the sum of its influences. But Dune remains massively popular while The Sabres of Paradise languishes in relative obscurity, and renewed public interest in Blanch’s forgotten history would be a welcome development.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy was famously inspired by Edward Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. J. R. R. Tolkien’s background in medieval languages helped shape the mythology of Middle Earth. Frank Herbert’s Dune is no different, and rediscovering one of the book’s most significant influences is a rewarding experience.

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labors go beyond ideas into the realm of "real materials" - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,

Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herbert, Frank, 1920-1986.
Ο πλανήτης Dune-Τόμος 1 / Φρανκ Χέρμπερτ · μετάφραση Γ. Κουσουνέλος. - Αθήνα : SPACE Ε.Π.Ε., 1989. - 277σ. · 18x11εκ. - (Cosmos: Επιστημονική Φαντασία · 022)
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: Dune, 1965
(Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Εξαντλημένο]
813.54
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,939,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible