Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri

Empire of Sand (2018)

by Tasha Suri

RGG: South Asian mythology based fantasy. Strong female character, complex and unusual choices about vows and balance. Worth the read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Jan 1, 2019 |
Mehr has lived a sheltered life as the daughter of the governor of Irinah, half Ambhan (ruling class) and half Amrithi (a hated group). Her mother left her and her sister Arwa behind when she was exiled years ago, and Mehr deals with the slights of her stepmother. Her father, though, has still given her much freedom, allowing her to perform the Amrithi rites. But then one of these rites brings her to the notice of the Emperor, and a group of people come to Mehr for a marriage contract. Mehr knows there's probably something sinister behind it, but with her family on the line, what choice does she have?

This debut fantasy has gotten a lot of hype and as soon as I knew about it, I knew I wanted to read it. The imaginative worldbuilding is well done. I sometimes wished for even more, but because the location and Mehr's understanding of events is so small we can only know as much as she does. The narrative is third person, mostly staying tightly with Mehr's point of view and occasionally switching to show us another character's actions. The plot moves along at a good clip and the growing romance between Mehr and her husband is well done. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Dec 27, 2018 |
A decent girl with something special is joined with perfect for her guy and saves herself by reshaping the world story. The pacing is somewhat uneven as it takes master level skills to endurably focus the reader's attention while the sympathetic characters are being ground down for a good part of the narrative. ( )
  quondame | Dec 5, 2018 |
Thank you Orbit for the opportunity to read and review Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri. This fantasy novel is a slow burn. It, at times, feels tedious. Once the action and story start to pick up, it improves greatly. The story played out in an unexpected way, and I loved the ending and the hopeful note it gives. I do feel that the relationship between Mehr and Amun felt rushed and didn't evolve in a believable way at first. It would have been nice to see their relationship develop in a meaningful way, versus being left to feel like they "fell in love" solely due to a shared experience. I thoroughly appreciate where they stand at the end. There were a few plot points I would have appreciated answers on, but those were left intentionally vague so I get it. I'm not sure if this is due to be a series, or a stand-alone novel, but I do find myself with questions and wanting to see how things develop in the future of this world and these characters, particularly in regard to Mehr's family (I'll leave it vague). I'd like to know more about the Daiva and these gods that dream. I feel as if those areas are ripe for the picking and would offer a wealth of meaningful plot to any future additions. The novel could use a good polish before release. There are still a fair amount of typos and errors that need to be fixed (double words, omitted words, funky punctuation). The errors didn't detract as much from the reading experience as they have for me with other books, and I think that's a testament to the strength of the story and this world. Overall this was a very enjoyable and read and I would recommend it to anyone who would like a quick, fantasy read in a world they may not be familiar with. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Dec 4, 2018 |
I loved the setting and the characters, I only wish the story had done something new, rather than following such a well-trod path. ( )
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible