Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Moby Dick (1851)

by Herman Melville

25,90540473 (3.81)6 / 1396
    The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex tells the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick.
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (_eskarina)
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Jr. Dana (knownever)
    knownever: A more enjoyable, shorter, and less allegorical story of sailing life, although there aren't any whales. The author of this one kind of looks down on whalers. All together a more jaunty sea tale.
    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe (caflores)
    The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare (chrisharpe, John_Vaughan)
    Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick (John_Vaughan)
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (caflores)
    Genoa: A Telling of Wonders by Paul Metcalf (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Melville's heir struggles to close his relationship to his preceding literary genius. Click the link above, read what you can, and get yourself hooked on one of the most critically-adored yet criminally-underread novels written in a century defined by self-analysis and experimentation.… (more)
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (ecleirs24, AriadneAranea)
    ecleirs24: Cause this novel is based upon a passage from Mobi Dick......
    The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex by Owen Chase (meggyweg)
    The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade by Herman Melville (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Compared to Moby Dick, The Confidence Man is a much lighter read. But after ploughing through Moby Dick, this may be a welcome change. It is not as profound, but you also don't have to struggle through any of it. This is worth reading.
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (caflores)
    caflores: Para amantes del lenguaje náutico y de las descripciones detalladas.
    Railsea by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An imaginative, affectionate pastiche of the novel's themes, imagery, and characters.
    The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays by Albert Camus (WilfGehlen)
    WilfGehlen: Camus was greatly influenced by Melville and in The Myth of Sisyphus mentions Moby-Dick as a truly absurd work. Reading Moby-Dick with Camus' absurd in mind gives a deeper, and very different insight than provided by the usual emphasis on Ahab's quest for revenge.… (more)
    The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky (John_Vaughan)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (ateolf)
    The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Ronoc)
    Oil! by Upton Sinclair (edwinbcn)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (JGKC)

Romans (14)
Read (13)

English (365)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (6)  German (6)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (404)
You may be wondering, how does one shelve a book as both fiction and non-fiction? Well, that is what is somewhat unique about this book. Although the main story is about a man's fanatical quest to take revenge on an animal that did him wrong, the other half of the book is a surprisingly detailed account of the whaling industry in 1850 or so. This is why it warrants both fiction and non-fiction in my eyes. Now this is mainly from memory, since I haven't read this book in a while.

You may not have read the book, although if you read this review, perhaps you are waffling about whether or not to undertake the task of slogging through this literary classic. It is possible to skip the parts on whaling and just focus on the story of Captain Ahab, Ishmael and the crew of the Pequod. Doing this would probably cut the book into half of what it seems to be as I mentioned before.

Starting out with one of the most iconic opening lines in all of literature; "Call me Ishmael," we are introduced to the characters through this particular set of eyes and ears. His current state has left him broke, and due to his constitution, Ishmael resolves to go to sea. For even though the Earth was pretty well mapped, the sea had a romantic sort of air about it. So he finds an inn that gives him a bed for the night. The Innkeeper might or might not have mentioned that there was someone else rooming there, but I don't remember. In this, the young man is introduced to Queequeg, an islander that makes his living off of harpooning whales. He also sleeps in the buff and has a little Tiki idol that he worships. Ishmael shows himself to be pretty tolerant though, since he still befriends Queequeg and comes along with him to the Pequod.

On the Pequod, we are introduced to; Captain Ahab with his leg of ivory, the first mate Starbuck, the second and third mates whose names I do not recall, and the other heathen harpooners. When Ahab is first introduced, I believe we find that he has a nice family, but I don't really recall all that well. The first thing Ahab does is nail a coin or doubloon to the mast for the first person to spot Moby Dick. This is the first mention of the whale but it is not the last.

All the while, we get little interludes with the whaling industry. The author includes detailed drawings of whales, or as they called them, cetaceans. He describes where the oil comes from, how the meat of the whale is used, and tons of other things. Drawings of the tools might occupy one chapter, while another might have some other far-flung piece of knowledge.

This whole thing goes on for a while, finally culminating in a battle of man and beast. They find Moby Dick despite the protestations of Starbuck on using the ship and its crew as Ahab is, and attempt to kill the whale. However, I am pretty sure that Moby Dick kills the whole crew of the Pequod besides Ishmael, which is how you are even reading the account. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
The most beautiful modern edition of an undisputed masterpiece. Stranger, funnier, and more varied than I imagined, this edition literally stopped people on the street. A homeless man in San Francisco stopped and admired the book, smiling as he told me he "needed that". ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Worth a reread soon. I still remember a quote - "Sleep! Sleep! It's worth a man's while to be born if only to fall asleep! and, come to think of it, that's what a man does when he's born." ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
No one ever seems to discuss this, but there are parts of this exquisitely written tome that are hilarious! ( )
  tennisfan2 | Apr 26, 2019 |
I give up. I've tried the book multiple times, the audiobook, the graphic novel, etc. I just don't like this one. I can't make myself care. Everything about it bores me. I'm never, ever going to make it through this book. I wanted to very badly because one of the books I love dearly - Blood Meridian - is inspired by Moby-Dick. I would love to understand Blood Meridian more deeply by reading Moby-Dick. This will never be. :(
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Forfatter: Herman Melville

Moby Dick I
«Kall meg Ismael. For noen år siden - akkurat når det var, er likegyldig - bestemte jeg meg for å gå til sjøs og lære verdenshavene å kjenne. Jeg hadde lite eller ingenting å leve av, og ikke noe særlig som interesserte meg på land. Gå til sjøs - på den måten har jeg ofte drevet tungsinn på flukt og regulert blodomløpet.»
Slik begynner verdens kanskje mest kjente roman, romanen som stiller de vanskeligste og viktigste spørsmål; om det ondes og godes natur og om viljens mulighet til å trosse skjebnen.

Moby Dick II
Historien om kaptein Akabs glødende hat til den hvite hvalen fortsetter:
«Riggen levde. Mastetoppene var som høye palmer, var vidt behengt med armer og ben. Enkelte av sjøfolkene klynget seg til spirene med den ene hånden, mens de utålmodig viftet med den andre. Noen satt ytterst ute på de gyngende rærne og skjermet øynene mot det skarpe solskinnet. Hele riggen var full av dødelige mennesker, rede og modne til å ta imot sin skjebne. Å, hvor de stirret ut gjennom det uendelige blå, for å oppdage det vesen som kanskje skulle ødelegge dem!»

Herman Melville
Herman Melville (1819-1891), amerikansk forfatter, essayist og poet. Melville blir ansett å være blant de fremste amerikanske forfattere gjennom tidene, og hans hovedverk Moby Dick (1851) regnes som en av verdenslitteraturens største romaner. Samtidens forfattere hadde gått på de «riktige» skolene, mens Melvilles bakgrunn var annerledes. Han ble født inn i en rikmannsfamilie, men måtte tidlig greie seg selv. Som ung gutt gikk han til sjøs og sa senere; «havet ble mitt universitet». Melville hadde store reiser og merkelig eventyr bak seg da Moby Dick kom ut. Han hadde seilt i over fire år, var to ganger rundt Kapp Horn og hadde levd blant kannibaler etter at han deserterte på Marquesas-øyene. Melville kjente virkelig til det livet han beskriver i boken, et farefullt liv i jakten på havets gull, spermasetthvalens verdifulle olje.
added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.
I’ll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.
...so at nightfall, the Nantucketer, out of sight of land, furls his sails, and lays him to his rest, while under his very pillow rush herds of walruses and whales.
...Heaven have mercy on us all—Presbyterians and Pagans alike—for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending.
‘Whale-balls for breakfast—don’t forget.’ (Stubb, second mate)
And with what quill did the Secretary of the Society for the Suppression of Cruelty to Ganders formally indite his circulars? It is only within the last month or two that that society passed a resolution to patronize nothing but steel pens.
Please do not combine adaptations or abridged editions of Moby Dick with unabridged versions. Versions aimed at children are normally abridged editions and should not be combined here. Also, books ABOUT Moby Dick (such as study guides) should not be combined with the unabridged nor the abridged novel. Please keep such books as an independent work.
The ISBN 9025463312 is shared with a different work.
The Penguin Classics 150th Anniversary Ed (ISBN 0142000086) is not abridged, although that word has appeared in some user's data.
Norton Critical editions, Longman Critical editions and other scholarly editions should not be combined with the unabridged novel. The scholarly-type editions contain much additional material so they should be considered as separate works.
Call me Ishmael.
Score: Whale 1, Ahab 0.
I alone returned.
(bertilak)

Over a century and a half after its publication, Moby-Dick still stands as an indisputable literary classic. It is the story of an eerily compelling madman pursuing an unholy war against a creature as vast and dangerous and unknowable as the sea itself. But more than just a novel of adventure, more than an encyclopedia of whaling lore and legend, Moby-Dick is a haunting, mesmerizing, and important social commentary populated with several of the most unforgettable and enduring characters in literature. Written with wonderfully redemptive humor, Moby-Dick is a profound and timeless inquiry into character, faith, and the nature of perception.

@greatwhitetale Call me Ishmael. You could call me something else if you want, but since that’s my name, it would make sense to call me Ishmael.

Captain obsessed with finding a whale called Moby Dick. Sounds like the meanest VD ever, if you ask me. Sorry. Old joke. Couldn’t resist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

Looking for adventure and a new life, Ishmael, the story's narrator, decides to find work on a whaling boat. On arriving at the Massachusetts harbour to begin his search, the only bed available is already half occupied by a "cannibal" named Queequeg. Although Queequeg has limited English, a friendship forms and the two men sign up for work together aboard the Pequod under the infamous Captain Ahab.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible