Ulysses (1922)

by James Joyce

21,466312135 (4.03)8 / 1427
Considered the greatest 20th century novel written in English, in this edition Walter Gabler uncovers previously unseen text. It is a disillusioned study of estrangement, paralysis and the disintegration of society.From the Trade Paperback edition.
    The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil (roby72)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    The most dangerous book: the battle for James Joyce's Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Othemts)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    Omeros by Derek Walcott (TheLittlePhrase)
    Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellmann (aprille)
    aprille: Ellmann is the daughter of Joyce scholar Richard Ellmann and Ducks, Newburyport (shortlisted for the Booker) is 21st-century American housewife's stream of consciousness with more contemporary cultural allusions
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    Stephen Hero by James Joyce (KayCliff)
    Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay (charlie68, charlie68)
    charlie68: Book has section on Modernism in literature that includes a section on Ulysses.
    charlie68: A section deals in criticism of James Joyce and specifically Ulysses.

Books (59)
1920s (5)

English (274)  Spanish (10)  Italian (5)  Dutch (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (312)
Dubliners (Penguin Modern Classics) by James Joyce (2000)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
This is my desert-island book, and I will never tire of it. ( )
  jdegagne | Apr 23, 2022 |
Overall, I really like this oversized, illustrated edition (from Other Press). I jumped right into a re-read immediately when it arrived. I read Ulysses the first time in my 20s, far from home, with seemingly endless amounts of time on hand. I barely finished, struggled through it, and had to stop until I could find a reader's guide.

Fast forward a quarter century and I barely finished after struggling through it, again. I have developed less tolerance for 'working' through anything - if it doesn't hold my interest I am less likely to see it through.

The initial chapters were fine, I barely finished creepy old man at the beach, and skimmed the endless page after page of dialogue.

I kept going because I remembered Molly's final chapter, and it again delivered.

Leaving this in case I chose to re-read later in life, better off to just skip to the final chapter, even if you don't 'earn' it by suffering through the rest of the 700 pages.

The illustrations were wonderful. ( )
1 vote kcshankd | Mar 30, 2022 |
I had started - and abandoned - Ulysses several times in the past - certainly I am not the only one to whom that happened. Now, 100 years after the first publication with all the publicity given I was determined not to give up and succeeded ! (but was nevertheless frequently tempted to put it aside).
It is certainly an extraordinary work but requires determination, stamina and commitment from the reader, even then it will be impossible to follow more than a few of the (probably) thousands of hidden references. One could spend years, a life-time, with this book but that is not for me but once I met somebody who had a large facsimile of a proof-print with Joyce’s handwritten corrections for which he had made a special stand to place it on. Perhaps one needs to be a Dubliner or at least Irish (although that person wasn’t) to fully appreciate this perambulation around Dublin streets a hundred years ago each section written in a different voice and style. (II/III-22)

Some links to interesting contributions:

and a good review: https://www.librarything.com/review/12094263
  MeisterPfriem | Mar 21, 2022 |
Another great Irish writer, Kevin Barry, says Joyce “put everything on the page,” comparing him to Beckett, who took everything off. Joyce does put it all down here. Everything, and more. The writing is lyrical, dense, and all-inclusive. Too much, almost, to take in at once. Ulysses needs to be savored, given full attention, and read at leisure. It’s probably best read in prison or on a long sea voyage.

I'll probably have to read it again to get the full picture of life in Dublin on June 16, 1904, as lived by Stephen Dedalus, Leopold Bloom, and Molly Bloom. ( )
  Hagelstein | Mar 14, 2022 |
For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.
Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
The bard’s noserag! A new art colour for our Irish
poets: snotgreen. You can almost taste it, can’t you?
With?
Sinbad the Sailor and Tinbad the Tailor and Jinbad the
Jailer and Whinbad the Whaler and Ninbad the Nailer and
Finbad the Failer and Binbad the Bailer and Pinbad the
Pailer and Minbad the Mailer and Hinbad the Hailer and
Rinbad the Railer and Dinbad the Kailer and Vinbad the
Quailer and Linbad the Yailer and Xinbad the Phthailer.
As we, or mother Dana, weave and unweave our bodies, Stephen said, from day to day, their molecules shuttled to and fro, so does the artist weave and unweave his image.... In the intense instant of imagination, when the mind, Shelley says, is a fading coal, that which I was is that which I am and that which in possibility I may come to be. So in the future, the sister of the past, I may see myself as I sit here now but by reflection from that which I then shall be.

Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Current discussions

Thornwillow's Ulysses in Fine Press Forum

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,090,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible