dismiss

Dubliners (1914)

by James Joyce

Series: Norton Critical Editions

15,940178222 (3.92)1 / 434
Published in 1914 after 10 years of argument with publishers over charges of "obscenity," these stories were once described by Joyce as "a chapter in the moral history of my country." Their collection in one volume offers a unified vision across the Joycean literary landscape, where a claustrophobic and "paralyzed" Dublin spirals outward to a wide ranging, boundless universe.… (more)

English (168)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (177)
After reading Dubliners, I have a much greater appreciation for Joyce's decision to go literarily off the rails with his later novels. If I ever wrote a short story even close to as good as "The Dead" is, I'd either just retire or I'd lose my mind trying to duplicate it. It takes a real talent to master something and then, at least to a certain degree, abandon it in an attempt to push your medium further.

It's hard to say whether Dubliners is a truly fair assessment of the people of Dublin just after the turn of the 20th century. Joyce certainly believed it was, and it feels to me as if much of the modern perception of what it means to be "Irish" (e.g. rampant alcoholism, fervent nationalism) can be traced back to these 15 stories. I'm reluctant to fully accept this account as scripture due to my own ignorance of Irish history as well as Joyce's relationship with his home nation. The tragedy of many of these stories lies in the characters' desire to leave Dublin and their inability to due so. When you take into account that Joyce left Ireland for good shortly after Dubliners' publication, you have to wonder just how much of Dubliners is Dublin and how much is Joyce.

Beyond all that, many of these stories are fantastic. I particularly liked "An Encounter" "Araby" and "A Painful Case," but the whole thing is put to shame by the closer, "The Dead." It's up there with the best 44 pages I've ever read. The story, like its protagonist, Gabriel, is insightful, pained, confused, and sincere in all the right ways.

Whether or not this was the real Dublin, Joyce made this Dublin real, and more importantly, he made this Dublin my Dublin. Joyce said that he wrote about Dublin "because if I can get to the heart of Dublin I can get to the heart of all the cities of the world." He's right. These Dubliners are New Yorkers and Chicagoans and Tegucigalpans and Wherever-You-Live-ians. Cities are made up of people, and the people Joyce wrote about are in Dublin and everywhere else. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
823.912 JOY
  alessandragg | Apr 17, 2020 |
823.912 JOY
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
My interest ebbed and flowed throughout reading Dubliners. As a whole, I felt like the style and trajectory of the pieces fit, but there were only a few that really commanded my emotional attention such as A Painful Case. More than anything, I was in awe of Joyce's ability to render characters of depth in such a condensed way.
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
I read this strictly for fun, and since I met my reading goal for the year: no review. : ) ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |

Senn, FritzEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zet, ApfelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.
Traversando il Grattan Bridge abbassò gli occhi con compatimento sulla fila dei miseri aborti di case lungo le rive del fiume. Gli apparivano come un branco di vagabondi ammucchiati gli uni addosso agli altri sulla banchina, coi vecchi pastrani fuligginosi e infangati; vagabondi stupefatti dal panorama del tramonto, che attendessero il primo freddo notturno per alzarsi, riscuotersi e partire.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,283,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible