Dubliners (1914)

by James Joyce

16,691197229 (3.91)1 / 441
Published in 1914 after 10 years of argument with publishers over charges of "obscenity," these stories were once described by Joyce as "a chapter in the moral history of my country." Their collection in one volume offers a unified vision across the Joycean literary landscape, where a claustrophobic and "paralyzed" Dublin spirals outward to a wide ranging, boundless universe.… (more)

English (181)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (192)
As soon as I finished I realized that I was going to be re-reading these stories, probably many times. I will probably get more out of them with each and every time I revisit them. This is a masterpiece and I can see why we still read Joyce. The raw emotion combined with deep analysis of these real characters--no, real people, make these stories as illuminating as they are compelling. These characters lived and live in every city and their Irish experience is not a cultural anomaly. It is universal. When the husband in "The Dead" ponders his own superficiality and wonders whether he has been important in his wife's life--worthy even, of the life and the part of herself that she has given to him, this is any man in any time. Each story deals in universals yet takes these characters out of the vague imagination and gives them local habitation and a name. These stories have happened, are happening now, and will continue happening as long as people live and share their lives together. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
I read (most of) these short stories for my OU course. This particular edition has an absurd number of 'helpful' footnotes, which I gradually learnt to ignore unless I was really struggling with the meaning. I came to this collection with the idea that Joyce was difficult to read, but these were not that difficult really, other than one about an election, which I gave up on.

I can see that they are good, but I didn't particularly enjoy them and the mood was so depressing throughout. ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 28, 2021 |
I liked these stories, but read them very slowly. Many of them were a bit too subtle for my taste, or featured a bit too much talk about religion. But I really loved the evocative and grim descriptions of Dublin, the vivid insights into how people lived. And the writing was very good, so, tack a star on just for pure joyful wordsmithery. ( )
  krtierney | Feb 6, 2021 |
Vignettes from pre-WWI Dublin. Interesting, often somewhat disturbingly, but frankly, I remember I had enjoyed Ray Bradbury's 'Irish' stories in some anthology much more. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Feb 4, 2021 |
I was somewhat curious to read this after having read "The Dead" in high school, but that was the only one of these that managed to make any impact on me - the rest is just alright. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |

Senn, FritzEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zet, ApfelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.
Traversando il Grattan Bridge abbassò gli occhi con compatimento sulla fila dei miseri aborti di case lungo le rive del fiume. Gli apparivano come un branco di vagabondi ammucchiati gli uni addosso agli altri sulla banchina, coi vecchi pastrani fuligginosi e infangati; vagabondi stupefatti dal panorama del tramonto, che attendessero il primo freddo notturno per alzarsi, riscuotersi e partire.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,836,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible