Dubliners (1914)

by James Joyce

17,327201227 (3.91)1 / 449
Published in 1914 after 10 years of argument with publishers over charges of "obscenity," these stories were once described by Joyce as "a chapter in the moral history of my country." Their collection in one volume offers a unified vision across the Joycean literary landscape, where a claustrophobic and "paralyzed" Dublin spirals outward to a wide ranging, boundless universe.… (more)

English (188)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (200)
- The Sisters ⭐⭐⭐
- A Mother ⭐⭐⭐
- Grace ⭐⭐⭐
- The Dead ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
I don't feel equal to commenting on this, but here goes:

Basically, if you are looking for a word-based photo album of vignettes of industrial-era Ireland, this is your book.

Textbook modernism. The end of the final story--the Dead--has me angsty and depressed! ( )
  djlinick | Jan 15, 2022 |
This is one of my all-time favorite short story collections. The stories I like best are “An Encounter,” “Araby,” “Eveline,” “A Little Cloud,” “Clay,” “A Painful Case,” “Ivy Day in the Committee Room,” and “The Dead.” I read it when I was fifteen and my mother had to explain “Clay” and “Ivy Day in the Committee Room” to me. She also asked me not to read “The Dead” because it was her favorite story and she thought I wouldn’t like it because I was too young. But I did read it and I did like it so everything turned out okay. ( )
  jollyavis | Dec 14, 2021 |
Update: so I need to reread this. I’d listened to an audiobook while swimming and don’t think that was conducive to getting the real feel for this type of work (based a recent experience of listening to Chekhov short stories while not swimming)

In certain circles I presume that it’s blasphemous not to adore Joyce and hold his works in the highest regard. This high regard of his works is the reason I decided to read Dubliners, figuring it would be a good introduction to his work (ok, re-introduction since I read Dubliners decades ago - with no recollection of it before this re-reading; and back then had made several attempts to read Ulysses, each without success. )

This rating is really more 3.5, maybe 3.75.

I found some stories very engaging - Eveline; A Painful Case; & The Dead. The others struck me to be...unfinished? Maybe more along the lines of vignettes? I thought of them to be more like paintings - still lifes - where the artist is working on honing his technique.

(Librivox) ( )
  jimgosailing | Nov 18, 2021 |
This is my first reading of Joyce’s “Dubliners.” I know, shocking, everyone else read it in high school or collegiate undergraduate literature courses and were forced to author papers on Joyce’s themes and symbolism. I read it for pleasure and for background on a project I’m working on. It’s considered one of Joyce’s more accessible works, certainly when compared with “Ulysses” which has a reputation for everyone claiming to have read it, but no one actually does. Anyways, I did find it readable, even with it being over a hundred years old and full of references to cultural and colloquial phrases which are beyond me. Anyway, I’ll try my hand at a short analysis of this collection of fifteen short stories.

The first thing that strikes me is how pedestrian and mundane the characters and even the plots of these tales are. This is the dreary, everyday life of Dublin commoners. It’s also largely filled with horrible people – thieves, drunks, and abusers to name a few. Most of the tales either end tragically (e.g., suicide) or at best – an unresolved melancholy stalemate. As I was reading it, I wasn’t sure if Joyce was going for a realistic expose of Dublin (sort of a 107-year-old version of a modern reality show) or something else. But when you step back and look at the whole of the book, it shows a stunted Dublin filled with people going nowhere and unable to break out of their gloomy routines and lives. And knowing a little of the history of Ireland, it makes me wonder if this was a delicate cut on the impact of English colonialism and maybe even to a lesser extent the restraints of the Catholic Church. About the only positive you’ll take away from 1914 Dublin is the pride in Irish hospitality.

Still, despite the dismal subject matter, Joyce writes with beauty. His ability to rapidly create complex characters with realistic needs and desires is extraordinary. He describes everyday life, but with such a fine blend of place, dialog, and narration, it feels all too real. Character’s display little notions, quirks, and thoughts that feel authentic, like Joyce is reporting on what’s going on around him, but able to jump in everyone’s head. The last story is particularly beautifully told, about an annual dance, that spins characters and motivations and songs, food, and drink until you’re dizzy. The prose is lush and vivid, but still with the same underlying sadness and cold themes. Although I probably don’t have the proper context of 1914 Ireland and Joyce’s intentions, I was still able to appreciate this impressive classic. ( )
  Kevin_A_Kuhn | Aug 23, 2021 |

Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.
Traversando il Grattan Bridge abbassò gli occhi con compatimento sulla fila dei miseri aborti di case lungo le rive del fiume. Gli apparivano come un branco di vagabondi ammucchiati gli uni addosso agli altri sulla banchina, coi vecchi pastrani fuligginosi e infangati; vagabondi stupefatti dal panorama del tramonto, che attendessero il primo freddo notturno per alzarsi, riscuotersi e partire.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,295,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible