To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway

To Have and Have Not (1937)

by Ernest Hemingway

English (50)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
Hemingway is the ultimate manipulator. He gets a lot of flack for his straightforward writing but I have found myself enjoying it. It doesn't always take flowery language to make a scene or a character. To Have and Have Not is up there with Farewell to Arms in the Hemingway upper echelon. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Jul 30, 2018 |
We were recently in Key West, and of course had to visit the Hemingway House and Museum (and the polydactyl Hemingway cats. I chose this as the one book purchase from the museum store, because it was Hemingway's only novel set in Key West, and one of a few novels written during his twelve years living there.

It's been a long time since I last read Hemingway, and even so I could tell this is not one of his stronger novels. There's a lot of racist language (I can't recall if that was as prevalent in other Hemingway works) by the characters , which I found off-putting, but the story itself moved along to keep me going to the end. Harry Morgan, the main character, is living in Key West during the Great Depression, and to support his wife and family, he takes on a lot of illegal activities such as rum-running (due to Prohibition) and human trafficking. There's also unhappy rich people here. All rather depressing, but the desperation certainly comes across throughout this novel. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Jul 6, 2018 |
The raciest language is a little hard to take in this one. I could take it if it was germane to the story or even if the story was a bit more compelling. But as it is, the story is pretty bland and not good enough to get over the language. ( )
  ZephyrusW | May 4, 2018 |
I technically finished this yesterday (9.23) (because I only had about 4 pages to go when I got to to work) ironically at work; where when I didn't get the promotion I was told I read too much on my breaks and I should be spending that time socializing with my co-workers.

But anyway.... the book..... is just not good. It screams amateurish and first-time writing. Its not that its Hemingway's style that is bad; its just the execution of it in this book. The various chapters that are POV and then are omniscient, the going back and forth, the things like Harry losing his arm basically happening off-screen, the bad way that he tried to show the intersecting lives of the rich and the poor.... it all just comes off as .... so bad.....

Its funny, I have a hate/love relationship with Hemingway. Sometimes I find him deep and insightful and love his prose, and then others it just comes off as poor and amateur hour. I also mostly feel like the characters are him; so their actions and dialogue is his actions and dialogue, like surrogate characters, rather than their own entities. So things like racial language (the n-word and the Asian c-word) in the book more comes off as thats how E. Hemingway talks rather than thats how Character X talks. Especially how it transcends just this book and its in multiple works of his (books / short stories). Ultimately just none of the characters felt great in this either, Harry comes off as flat. We're told how amazing he is by his wife, we're told how handsome he is by an ugly woman at a bar, etc. The back blurb also doesn't do this book much justice (which luckily I only read after being 2/3rds of the way through the novel). The back blurb mentions an "amazing love" (I'm assuming Harry and his wife's, which is piss poor blurb-writing if I ever saw it), and it says he's caught up in a love affair (he barely sees two of the characters, one time at a bar, who THEY have the affair - not him). That back book blurb has about as much to do with the actual novel as a Bud Light can has to do with beer.... (hint, BL is more like water than beer.... and bad water at that). ( )
1 vote BenKline | Nov 3, 2017 |
I enjoyed this- in large part because it of the Hemingway novels I have read, it seemed most akin to the way people think and talk about Hemingway today. Very macho, man vs. man, man vs. world. I read The Sun Also Rises a year or so ago and in many ways, To Have felt like an apology for the privileged sulking of that book. Harry Morgan, the protagonist, has very real problems as do most of the other characters trying to make their way in the Depression. But then he also shows that the rich aren't so happy either- no win, I suppose. It's more 3.5 but I had to round down given the bleak world view. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
". . . a turbulent, searching story of Key West and Havana in these strange years of grace. . . . stronger than 'The Sun Also Rises,' not as good as 'A Farewell to Arms' . . ."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Charles G. Poore (Oct 15, 1937)

Hemingway, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrata, GiansiroEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koning, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Low, WilliamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monicelli, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You know how it is there early in the morning in Havana with the bums still asleep against the walls of the buildings; before even the ice wagons come by with ice for the bars?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684818981, Paperback)

First things first: readers coming to To Have and Have Not after seeing the Bogart/Bacall film should be forewarned that about the only thing the two have in common is the title. The movie concerns a brave fishing-boat captain in World War II-era Martinique who aids the French Resistance, battles the Nazis, and gets the girl in the end. The novel concerns a broke fishing-boat captain who agrees to carry contraband between Cuba and Florida in order to feed his wife and daughters. Of the two, the novel is by far the darker, more complex work.

The first time we meet Harry Morgan, he is sitting in a Havana bar watching a gun battle raging out in the street. After seeing a Cuban get his head blown off with a Luger, Morgan reacts with typical Hemingway understatement: "I took a quick one out of the first bottle I saw open and I couldn't tell you yet what it was. The whole thing made me feel pretty bad." Still feeling bad, Harry heads out in his boat on a charter fishing expedition for which he is later stiffed by the client. With not even enough money to fill his gas tanks, he is forced to agree to smuggle some illegal Chinese for the mysterious Mr. Sing. From there it's just a small step to carrying liquor--a disastrous run that ends when Harry loses an arm and his boat. Once Harry gets mixed up in the brewing Cuban revolution, however, even those losses seem small compared to what's at stake now: his very life.

Hemingway tells most of this story in the third person, but, significantly, he brackets the whole with a section at the beginning told from Harry's perspective and a short, heart-wrenching chapter at the end narrated by his wife, Marie. In between there is adventure, danger, betrayal, and death, but this novel begins and ends with the tough and tender portrait of a man who plays the cards that are dealt him with courage and dignity, long after hope is gone. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

A broke fishing-boat captain agrees to carry contraband between Cuba and Florida in order to feed his wife and daughters.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,807,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible