The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)

by C. S. Lewis

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch, who has cursed the land with eternal winter.
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
  4. 2013
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    A Walk out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    The Storm Keeper's Island by Catherine Doyle (MissBrangwen)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)

1950s (8)

English (638)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (655)
So I love this book and it’s great but I find the end so unsettling. Like, I get that it’s a fairy tale wrapped inside of an allegory wrapped around folklore but the idea of living my life basically to the point I am now, being a grown woman with grown woman concerns and then stumbling through a wardrobe back to being ten again is a nightmare. Susan and Lucy had princes trying to marry them and then they had to go through puberty again, this time not in a magic fairy land but in war-torn England? Nightmare stuff. Also Edmund is my favorite because he started out a tool and Learned A Valuable Lesson about not being a douchnozzle and those are always my favorites. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Mi primera saga, recuerdo que me gustó mucho con su mágica temática y lazo entre los libros. Lucy ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
The chronicles of Narnia explores the adventures of four rambunctious children when they discover that their wardrobe is a portal to a whole new world on the inside. Teaming up with a lion named Aslan, they embark on a journey to free Narnia from the clutches of the cold White Witch. This book is generally recommended for middle school children between 6th and 8th grades as the religious motifs present offer a great learning opportunity to learn about the main ideas of Christianity through modern fantasy. ( )
  amassa1994 | Apr 25, 2021 |
I don’t have wonderful childhood memories involving Narnia like some people do—although I certainly heard about the series from other friends as I grew up (and, invariably, was able to shock them with my lack of knowledge about them!). But recently, when I saw friends had the complete boxed set of the books, I decided to borrow them to see what I think of them now.

Although they are clearly aimed at children, I can’t tell you how much some aspects of these stories delight me. I think I must have some whimsical bones in my nature, because the playfulness in some parts was just plain delightful. I loved the mystery woven into the story, as well as all the big and little things the animals were and were not able to do.

My favorite part, by far, as I’m sure is other’s favorites as well, was the allegorical portion. I loved seeing what Lewis did there!

A fun book altogether; recommended for those who love fantasy with a Christian slant. ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Mar 18, 2021 |
Started audio with kids. Again. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

Lewis, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dan San SouciIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Birmingham, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp-Gordeau, Madeleine van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Til Lucy Barfield

Kære Lucy

Jeg skriver denne historie til dig, men da jeg begyndte på den, havde jeg ikke gjort mig det klart, at piger vokser hurtigere end bøger, og at du allerede er blevet alt for gammel til at læse eventyr, og at du vil være endnu ældre, når den engang er blevet trykt og udgivet. Men en skønne dag bliver du gammel nok til at begynde at læse eventyr igen. Så kan du tage den ned fra hylden, støve den af og fortælle mig, hvad du synes om den. Til den tid er jeg sikkert for døv til at høre, hvad du siger, og for gammel til at forstå det, men jeg vil stadig være
din hengivne gudfar
C.S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
Der var engang fire børn, som hed Peter, Susan, Edmund og Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do not combine with any abridged edition.

Please do not combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do not combine The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe with The Chronicles of Narnia.

ISBN 0001857010 is also an abridged version.

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,850,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible