The Thief of Always (1992)

by Clive Barker

Series: Clive Barker's The Thief Of Always (Original Novel)

2,610514,172 (4)1 / 75
After a mysterious stranger promises to end his boredom with a trip to the magical Holiday House, ten-year-old Harvey learns that his fun has a high price.

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
This book surprised me! It was equal parts children's book/Rose Red/Pleasure Island (Pinocchio)/Neverland. It wasn't too childish to read as an adult but it was still something I could have read as a kid. I really enjoyed it and am surprised I had never come across it before. The only reason I stumbled upon it at all was a reading prompt for a nostalgia readathon. So glad I did! ( )
  Alli_Kelsey | Jan 28, 2021 |
Harvey is a 10 year old boy who is bored and tired of the cold, damp February. Until a creature comes along and promises to take him to a place where he will always be made happy, where it's spring and summer and Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas every day. He soon discovers, of course, that seeming and being are not the same and that a happiness for always isn't what's being offered at the Holiday House.
Barker's imagination is incredible and he has the writing chops to match. I loved this always-slightly-creepy-but-never-outright-terrifying story with it's interesting characters and fairy tale feel. Barker comes close to Gaiman in storytelling abilities for me, which is high praise. ( )
  scaifea | May 17, 2020 |
This was a fantastic children's book, for the right kid. Quite dark, but in a way that doesn't glorify the evil but it does to some creepy places. The illustrations by Barker really put it on another level.

I bought this when I was twelve years old at a bookstore in Regina and it was hidden away in a box on my shelf for the last 19 years. Finally read it and I'm glad I did. An enjoyable read for anybody, but like seeing the Goonies in your twenties, best enjoyed as a youngster. ( )
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |
I've never read any of Barker's YA and at first I thought this book was a little too juvenile for me. The main character Harvey Swick was just a little too annoying in the beginning, but maybe that was on purpose? I kept with it and it turned out to be pretty good.

Harvey is bored to tears with the February blues - Christmas was too long ago and Easter is too far away. He's hoping and wishing for something to happen, and of course it does - he gets invited to the Holiday House, where he gets everything he wishes for and more. And of course, there's a catch. ( )
  LisaMorr | Mar 25, 2020 |
This was a great novel: a fable for both children and adults. It managed to keep me entertained, on my seat, and thrilled throughout its duration and the lasting effects, characters, and plot-line proved to be inspiring and worthwhile. There is much to like here, and Clive Barker proves himself to be a master of prose here.

4.25 stars- well worth the read! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Mar 15, 2020 |

Clive Barkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinert, KirkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To M.S.S.
The great gray beast February had eaten Harvey Swick alive. Here he was, buried in the belly of that smothering month, wondering if he would ever find his way out through the cold coils that lay between here and Easter.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,471,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible