Something Wicked This Way Comes (1963)

by Ray Bradbury

Series: Green Town (3)

9,504251586 (3.96)4 / 518
Few American novels written this century have endured in th heart and mind as has this one-Ray Bradbury's incomparable masterwork of the dark fantastic. A carnival rolls in sometime after the midnight hour on a chill Midwestern October eve, ushering in Halloween a week before its time. A calliope's shrill siren song beckons to all with a seductive promise of dreams and youth regained. In this season of dying, Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois, to destroy every life touched by its strange and sinister mystery. And two inquisitive boys standing precariously on the brink of adulthood will soon discover the secret of the satanic raree-show's smoke, mazes, and mirrors, as they learn all too well the heavy cost of wishes -- and the stuff of nightmare.… (more)

English (246)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (250)
Horror, suspense, what have you, has generally not been my thing since I read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark in grade school. The scariest thing I'll allow myself to read is awful writing, but that's usually unintentional and often cut short as soon as possible. I am a reader because I have an hyperactive imagination, books provide a great balance for that, and I have discovered over the years that I cannot allow myself to read spooky work, no matter how hokey it is, because I will let it consume what little rationality I might have. Something Wicked isn't some souped-up modern devilish slasher--at nearly 50 years old, it's fairly calm in comparison to what I suspect is more riotously horrifying out there nowadays (of course, I wouldn't know since I don't read the genre, but I have seen my fair share of Stephen King made-for-TV movie adaptations, which are also often corny, yes, but also give me the heebie geebies). After reading this, I am profoundly more curious about the genre and style.

I wasn't overly thrilled by it. In fact, if I hadn't had some obscure faith for it to pick up the pace (along with the personal need to read more than one novel by Bradbury, just 'cause), I would have put it down. I'm not sure I'm totally down with Bradbury's style. It's too disconnected, sometimes too dreamy, and characters often veer into verbose and redundant cerebral declarations that it gets corny. I have a hard time figuring out what is happening with which character, which I wondered might have been intentional considering the chaotic and demonic subject matter, but in the end it just got in the way.

I also get more critical with a novel if I want to quit it early on but feel some sort of obligation to read it all the way through, like it's the book's fault for my not moving on to another. This, of course, almost always sets me up for an inevitable let-down. BUT. Something Wicked proved one of the few exceptions. In the end, I'm glad I stuck to it. The cliche good-over-evil stuff doesn't really fly with me, the laughter-and-love-will-always-triumph seems like such an easy way out, but there was something else. I think I started getting hooked on the plot once they trapped Mr. Cooger on the carousel. From there on out, it was a pretty fun read. And this being my first experience in many years reading anything remotely of horror/suspense, I really started to think a lot about the genre stylistically and how it plays to the reader's psyche. I dreamt a halfway nightmare about teaching horror to high schoolers while other vague spooky things were taking place; I admit I got a little edgy one or two times while reading this alone in an unfamiliar setting; and I found myself considering on a few occasions to keep away from carousels and House of Mirrors when I happen to encounter them (even those weren't really the scary parts of the novel to me). Yes, I'll admit to being lame. But if I can handle it, I'd like to explore more...perhaps delve into scarier stuff (this registers pretty low on that scale). Or maybe I'll just read about reading about it. Haha.

Anyhow, as a story, this was alright. What it provoked it me, pretty neat. That's my rating. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Creepy book. I felt vaguely unsettled the entire way through. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Metaphors and Similes galore! Each more beautiful than the last. I found I kept getting distracted from the story because I would still be thinking about a beautiful turn of phrase that Bradbury had used and the narrator (Christian Rummel who was fantastic!) was continuing on.

The boy I once was, thought Halloway, who runs like the leaves down the sidewalk autumn
nights.

...right now I feel like I just ate a cold snail raw.

Why he's the last peach, high on the summer tree.

'Dad,' said Will, his voice very faint. 'Are you a good person?'
'To you and your mother, yes, I try. But no man's a hero to himself. I've lived with me a
lifetime, Will. I know everything worth knowing about myself - '

The story itself was quite an interesting debate on good and evil and the desire to be older or younger set during a late October carnival with some rather spooky characters. Very glad I finally took the time to enjoy this classic. ( )
  she_climber | Apr 12, 2021 |
Basically each sentence has the style and energy of a "wham" sentence-- you know, the kind of sentence that'd usually be the culmination of the energy of an entire scene, or even of an entire book. The kind of raw poetics that gives an author the panache to head into a chapter break. So I can see why people could be off-put by a book made up of almost nothing but that kind of phrasing and style. It's a lot. That being said, I enjoyed reading it immensely and wish I could write a book like this. ( )
  scoutmaria | Apr 5, 2021 |
I'm not going to pretend that I enjoyed reading this book just because it's a classic.
Too dense for ESL like me.
Better if I read it for a book report; I can manage to make longer and more thorough review of this. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
康雄, 大久保Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foy, GrayIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wölfl, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man is in love, and loves what vanishes.
W.B. Yeats

They sleep not, except they have done mischief;
And their sleep is taken away,
  unless they cause some to fall.
For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And they drink the wine of violence.
Proverbs 4:16-17

I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.
Stubb in Moby Dick
With gratitude to
Jennet Johnson
who taught me how to write the short story
and to
Snow Longley Housh
who taught me poetry at Los Angeles High School a long time ago
and to
Jack Guss
who helped with this novel not so long ago
With love to the memory of GENE KELLY, whose performances influenced and changed my life
Prologue
First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys.
The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.
Why love the woman who is your wife? Her nose breathes in the air of a world that I know; therefore I love that nose. Her ears hear music I might sing half the night through; therefore I love her ears. Her eyes delight in seasons of the land; and so I love those eyes. Her tongue knows quince, peach, chokeberry, mint and lime; I love to hear it speaking. Because her flesh knows heat, cold, affliction, I know fire, snow, and pain. Shared and once again shared experience. Billions of prickling textures. Cut one sense away, cut part of life away. Cut two senses; life halves itself on the instant. We love what we know, we love what we are. Common cause, common cause, of mouth, eye, ear, tongue, hand, nose, flesh, heart, and soul.
"Sometimes the man who looks happiest in town, with the biggest smile, is the one carrying the biggest load of sin. There are smiles and smiles; learn to tell the dark variety from the light. The seal-barker, laugh-shouter, half the time he's covering up. He's had his fun and he's guilty. And men do love sin. Will, oh how they love it, never doubt, in all shapes, sizes, colors, and smells. Times come when troughs, not tables, suit our appetites. Hear a man too loudly praising others and look to wonder if he didn't just get up from the sty. On the other hand, that unhappy, pale, put-upon man walking by, who looks all guilt and sin, why, often that's your good man with a capitol G, Will. For being good is a fearful occupation; men strain at it and sometimes break in two. I've known a few. You work twice as hard to be a farmer as his to be his hog. I suppose it's thinking about being good that makes the crack run up the wall one night. A man with high standards, too, the least hair falls on him sometimes wilts his spine. He can't let himself alone, won't lift himself off the hook if he falls just a breath from grace."
And, Will thought, here comes the carnival, Death like a rattle in one hand, Life like candy in the other; shake one to scare you, offer one to make your mouth water. Here comes the side show, both hands full!

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible