Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Dandelion Wine

by Ray Bradbury

Series: Green Town (1)

5,385136811 (4.07)1 / 435
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (infiniteletters)
    Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury (section241)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (allenmichie)
    The Summer Book by Tove Jansson (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interconnected stories abour childhood and endless summers. Bradbury is more fantastical, while Jansson leans more to the realistic and understated, but both books runs over with wonderful and lyrical prose, and both captures a sense of childhood and summer in a way that is very rare.… (more)
    Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (allenmichie)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee (Michael.Rimmer)
    Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences by Barbara Holland (bertilak)

English (131)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (136)
Before today, I had read 3 Ray Bradbury novels. Based on those books, I decided to divide his works into 2 camps: Best Shit I Have Ever Read and Martian Chronicles Redux.

Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes both fall into Best Shit I Have Ever Read. The Martian Chronicles make me wonder how that boring book came from the same mind as the other 2 books.

Today, I finished Dandelion Wine. And before I got to end, I knew what camp it was going in - Martian Chronicles Redux. It didn't enthrall me. It didn't wow me. It didn't transport me to a wonderful place. It was just there. I am amazed the man who churned out Dandelion Wine also wrote Fahrenheit and Something Wicked.

However, my love of Ray Bradbury is unchanged. So please enjoy this tribute to his greatness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM ( )
1 vote writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
I loved it then and I love it now. ( )
1 vote kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Some people adore Bradbury's work. I can take it or leave it. More often than not, I leave it. His early darker fantasy works can be interesting. But as the years went by it looks like he started reading his own reviews and convinced himself he was a "great writer" and a "poet" and from that point his writing went steadily downhill, all of it centering about remembrances of the good old days. One thing's for sure: he wasn't a sci-fi writer. Bradbury became an old man early in life, his work resembling Rod Serling's Twilight Zone where he has to sledgehammer a moral or a message into his prose. Dandelion Wine might make nice reading for a sweet little old ladies sewing circle, but for me it was just bits of pretty fluff strung together around a gossamer center. Cotton candy prose that passes the time but leaves nothing memorable in its aftermath. Still, he has a wide fan base so obviously somebody likes that sort of thing. ( )
1 vote jameshold | Jul 22, 2017 |
This coming of age story is set in the summer of 1928. It's a fascinating look at the carefree summers of yesteryear and the memories made of small things--things as simple as "dandelion wine." Bradbury has a way with words, and he does an excellent job evoking the time and place. A series of vignettes give the novel its form. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 17, 2017 |
An enchanting coming of age story. While "magical realism" became THE term for describing South American writers many years after this book came out, it is the best description for what Bradbury does here. Everyday people with everyday problems in a small sleepy town, live in a world of fascinating psychic and moral possibility. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, AmosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Walter I. Bradbury
neither uncle nor cousin but most decidedly editor and friend.
It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed.
"Gardening is the handiest excuse for being a philosopher. Nobody guesses, nobody accuses, nobody knows, but there you are, Plato in the peonies....Dig in the earth, delve in the soul. Spring those mower blades and walk in the spray of the Fountain of Youth."
"Dawn, then, was a time where things changed element for element. Air ran like hot spring water howhere, with no sound. The lake was a quantity of steam very still and deep over valleys of fish and sand held baking under its serene vaports. Tar was poured licorise in the streets...."
Douglas's mouth was slightly open and from his lips and from the thin vents of his nostrils, gently there rose a scent of cool night and cool water and cool white snow and cool green moss, and cool moonlight on silver pebbles lying at the bottom of a quiet river and cool clear water at the bottom of a small white stone well.
.It was like holding their heads down for a brief moment to the purse of an apple-scented fountain flowing cool up into the air and washing their faces....They could not move for a long time."

Some favorite passages:  Moved to quotes
    -------------------------------------

The summer of '28 was a vintage season for growing boy. A summer of green apple trees, mowed lawns, and new sneakes.
Of half-burnt firecrackers, of gathering dandelions, of Grandma's belly-busting dinner.

It was a summer in the life of a twelve-year-old boy named Douglas Spaulding - remembered forever by the incomprabel

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553277537, Mass Market Paperback)

World-renowned fantasist Ray Bradbury has on several occasions stepped outside the arenas of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. An unabashed romantic, his first novel in 1957 was basically a love letter to his childhood. (For those who want to undertake an even more evocative look at the dark side of youth, five years later the author would write the chilling classic Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

Dandelion Wine takes us into the summer of 1928, and to all the wondrous and magical events in the life of a 12-year-old Midwestern boy named Douglas Spaulding. This tender, openly affectionate story of a young man's voyage of discovery is certainly more mainstream than exotic. No walking dead or spaceships to Mars here. Yet those who wish to experience the unique magic of early Bradbury as a prose stylist should find Dandelion Wine most refreshing. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

In a small town in 1928, a twelve-year-old boy savors the magic of childhood and the wonders of summer.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,654,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible