Breadcrumbs (2011)

by Anne Ursu

Other authors: Erin McGuire (Illustrator)

"Hazel and Jack are best friends until an accident with a magical mirror and a run-in with a villainous queen find Hazel on her own, entering an enchanted wood in the hopes of saving Jack's life" -- Provided by publisher.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Brave girls who love to read and stories that come to life; one parent close and another distant; a supernatural arch-enemy; and a daring rescue mission inform these highly descriptive and enthralling fantasies.
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    Crossing the Wire by Will Hobbs (jshonk)
    Red Glass by Laura Resau (jshonk)

children's fiction; fantasy/fairytale. A modern version of "the Snow Queen" with the heroine being an adopted 11-year-old from India (whose dad has left and is remarrying); the rescuee is her best friend, a boy whose mom suffers from severe depression. Numerous references to C.S.Lewis, Tolkien, Gaiman's Coraline and L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, among lots of fairytale-type creatures and beings. A really well told story; recommended for curling up with on a cold winter night. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
A beautiful, absorbing twist on the tale of the Snow Queen; a perfect read for middle school readers. I really wished the book was longer, I wanted to spend more time with Hazel and the author's lush prose. I'm looking forward to reading Ursu's trilogy of books. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Beautifully written. I enjoyed the tie-ins to classic fairy tales and other stories. I loved finding references to books like A Wrinkle in Time and When You Reach Me. I am curious if most middle grade readers pick up on those clues, but that would be a great thing to discuss with them. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
I am just starting this. My 8 year old gave it this *recommendation* " When I read it mom, time stopped." Pretty high praise from a 3rd grader...we'll see what mom thinks... ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
Read for 6th-8th grade book club... I enjoyed the book. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |

Anne Ursuprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGuire, ErinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuire, ErinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It snowed right before Jack stopped talking to Hazel, fluffy white flakes big enough to show their crystal architecture, like perfect geometric poems. It was the sort of snow that transforms the world around it into a different kind of place.
Hazel could not help put stop and stare at it- this, the biggest tree in the world. There was a flickering within the leaves, birds that made their universe inside the mammouth cloud of branches. She wondered if they even knew about the sky. p.174
Jack hesitated still, and Hazel wanted to say something comforting, to give him some bright plastic flowers of words, but Jack would see them for what they were. Jack knew how to see things. p.310

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,415,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible