I Kill Giants (2009)

by Joe Kelly

Other authors: J. M. Ken Nimura (Illustrator)

Series: I Kill Giants (1-7)

Barbara is an angry elementary-school girl who is known as a freak and claims to be a killer of giants. She faces bullies and storms with no fear, but cannot face what she hides from at home.

English (48)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
Book to Movie Review/Comparison: https://youtu.be/IOPMw_70L-c

(WHAT?: I LIKED THE FILM MORE!)

Wow, that was something. Something good. I have to say I'm the movie was quite faithful. This is similar to [b: A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485991317s/8621462.jpg|13492114] in the message but I enjoyed this a bit more. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Well, that wasn't what I was expecting. Which, frankly, is a good thing. Really, really well done. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
For a graphic novel that seems on the surface to be a simple adventure novel, our predisposition is quickly stripped away by the complex themes revolving around cancer, growing up, and a child's coping mechanisms. Kelly's protagonist is at once endearing because of her (slightly deluded) bravery, wit, and foolishness that stem from her inability to deal with her mother's sickness. Using her created mythical giants and titans as a metaphor for cancer isn't even that cleve, but Kelly makes it work in this context by blending them with a real life storm which she faces as she realizes that she can't actually fight a disease. All she can do is overcome her own foolishness, which she does triumph over in the end. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Rating this is difficult, as I liked parts of this and not others. The story itself is effective and emotional, though I was expecting something a bit more in the end. The portrayal of bullying was realistic, but again, the villain was problematic and the result slightly unrealistic. I loved Barabara as a character and her place in the D&D world, as well as the giants of the book. However, I really disliked the artwork and was confused during most of the action sequences. The dialogue balloons were just as confusing and I had to reread some parts to figure out who was actually speaking. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
I cried and cried and cried and cried. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |

Joe Kellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nimura, J. M. KenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Columbus, ChrisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To those fighting their own giants,
You're stronger than you think.
"It was a time of darkness..."
It was a time of darkness where the cities of the damned were stacked high with the bones of fallen heros.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,032,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible