Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted…

Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (2002)

by Ted Naifeh

5203929,681 (3.96)13
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, gildedspine)
    The Field Guide by Holly Black (FFortuna)
    Tithe by Holly Black (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (FFortuna)
    Kin by Holly Black (FFortuna)
    Skim by Mariko Tamaki (Anonymous user)
    Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers by John Harris Dunning (FFortuna)
    Serenity Rose, Vol. 1: Working Through the Negativity by Aaron Alexovich (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both are about small-town witches and strange creatures. Kind of the same, but also very different. Both are very good, and among my personal favourites.
    The House of Klaus by Chris Grine (FFortuna)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (FFortuna)
    Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton (thewalkinggirl)

Courtney Crumrin just moved into a new town with her parents in her Uncle Aloysius big spooky mansion where there are tales and rumors surrounded her uncle and what really goes on at his house. Courtney doesn't know what to really make of it she just knows that her uncle gives her the creeps. She is an instant outcast because of this and she's just an outcast herself. She isn't rich like the other kids and she doesn't suck up to them either.

She soon discovers that her new home and the woods around her new town are filled with many dark secrets and many dark creatures. Her Uncle has strange books around about the strange dark world and they form a bond because of their knowledge while her parents are the suck up types and have no clue what's going on.

Our young heroine Courtney has got gumption I'll give her that. The way she's drawn though... I don't know. I really feel like she needs a nose. But she grew on me. She goes out of her way to obtain control of the dark creatures. There are a couple in her room and I'm still wondering what they are for. I mean can she use them to do things? Why do they hang around her? The book is narrated by one of them which is a nice change of pace especially in a graphic novel like this. The book isn't ridiculously scary so it should be just fine for some kids. The heroine is in Junior High so... She is another one of those children who are the underdog. No one really pays attention to the quiet ones which is too bad if you don't want to be eaten by a goblin.

This is a special edition because it now comes in color so it must be very well liked which isn't surprising. I like horror books. Books with things that go bump in the night from time to time. I don't understand why how the only person who was paying any kind of good attention to her just disappears and there's no real mention of it anymore. That's pretty messed up how nobody cares and then there is this baby who gets taken away. She tried to get him back but the Uncle says that these things happen. His going to turn into a slave! So this isn't as you can tell a very happy touchy feely book. Courtney might not get a happy ending and if she does she's going to deal with a lot before she does. I just hope for her sake that she doesn't get eaten by an even larger smarter creature. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Wow, ich war sehr überrascht. Hab den Comic in der Bibliothek nur wegen dem Cover mitgenommen und wenig erwartet. Das unglaublich unsympathische Vorwort hat meine Erwartungen noch weiter gedämpft. Aber es ist eine total unterhaltsame Geschichte, schön gezeichnet, detailliert aber trotzdem nicht unübersichtlich, der Stil hat mich ein wenig an Coraline erinnert. Es passiert genug, um nicht langweilig zu werden, und obwohl die Fantasyelemente mehr so sehr klassischer und wohlbekannter Feenkram sind, hat mich immer wieder etwas überrascht. Mein Herz hängt jetzt nicht grad an den Charakteren, aber ich wäre durchaus gewillt, das weiterzulesen. ( )
  kthxy | Feb 16, 2017 |
A cool idea for a graphic novel. The book itself is gorgeous and the stories are interesting.

This was a fun read, a little bit spooky and a little bit silly.

Country's character is headstrong and doesn't let anyone stand in her way, which makes her very likeable. She is a strong lead character.

A good book for young readers interesting in scary things. ( )
  CareBear36 | Jan 16, 2016 |
COURTNEY CRUMRIN AND THE NIGHT THINGS collects, in black and white, volumes 1-4 of the comic series. Great story, great graphics - my only complaint is that the smaller size makes some of the reading difficult. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
This was about a girl who sees herself as an outsider. Her and her ditzy social climbing parents move into her great uncle's house so that they can live rent free (and also so her uncle can change his reputation; he wants to be perceived as harmless). Courtney encounters all kinds of mysterious night creatures and gets herself into some serious scrapes one of which her uncle gets her out of. The story pulls from many old celtic fairie myths, such as changlings, and goblins. At the end of the book I still felt as though there was a lot of mystery surrounding the uncle and who/what he really is. I also felt there were some questions surrounding Courtney and why her parents are so odd. Hopefully these will be explained in further volumes. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
The viewpoint here is fresh and funny while keeping its edge. There aren’t any fairy godmothers or sudden happy endings, because nobody’s on her side, not her relatives, her teachers, or the magical creatures.

To Magic, for helping awaken my imagination, and to Ron, for telling me of the Night Things.
Careful now.

Courtney Crumrin is not a happy camper. Her mom and dad, after years of living beyond their means, have at last found a solution to their financial difficulties. They're moving to the burbs, into the home of their rich uncle. Professor Aloysius Crumrin. Old man Crumrin's huge Victorian mansion is par for the course in the well-to-do neighborhood of Hillsborough. However, as Courtney soon discovers, Uncle Aloysius has a sinister reputation throughout the district, and he and his home are shrouded in dark rumor. And while this new arrangement allows her parents their much-desired boost in social status, Courtney feels as though she's landed in a nightmare. one where she is an outcast among her new spoiled classmates. And if that weren't bad enough, the moldering old mansion seems to house even stranger creatures than Mom and Dad or Uncle Aloysius.

They crawl about the dark corridors, just out of sight. They crunch bones in the corner. And sometimes they'll climb up on the bed and watch Courtney while she sleeps. Mom and Dad don't notice them. He calls them "the Night Things."

Presenting the initial Courtney Crumrin miniseries in a new diges-sized format. Courtney's parents have dragged her out to a high-to-do suburb to live with her creepy Great Uncle Aloysius in his spooky old house. She's not only the new kid in school, but she also discovers strange things lurking under her bed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,488,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible