Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston

Zorgamazoo

by Robert Paul Weston

My feverish daughter is taking her cure by listening to me read this Seussian rhyme aloud. Unlike Seuss, however, Weston does not limit himself to 115 words. Consequently, the seemingly easy format, the fantasy/adventure-filled plot, and clever typesetting are laced with lovely language, demanding that the reader sit up and pay attention.

Here's a quick sample from p. 116:

"She came through the trees before coming to stop
on the rim of a cliff, near a treacherous drop.
She stood there a moment, perched out on the ledge,
on the verge of the mountain's most calamitous edge."

I can see giving this book to Intermediates, especially those who would benefit from the propulsion of the rhyme to help muscle them through some of the more demanding language. Other readers would also just enjoy the slightly dangerous story as well as the artful word choice that allows for the protracted rhyme--sort of Roald Dahl's and Sr. Seuss's love child. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Here's a quick sample from p. 116:

"She came through the trees before coming to stop
on the rim of a cliff, near a treacherous drop.
She stood there a moment, perched out on the ledge,
on the verge of the mountain's most calamitous edge."

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
A very cute dr seuss-like read. It was super quick too!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
When I started this book it was fun to read the Dr. Seuss-like rhymes, then it was annoying, then I just enjoyed the story. I've tried to recommend this book to students but they can't get past the annoying rhyming to enjoy the story. I would encourage teachers to try to use this book as a read aloud - thus a captive audience that might just learn to enjoy the story beyond the rhyming verse.
  Tracie_Shepherd | Apr 2, 2016 |
Normally, I'm not into Dr. Suess type books. This one was extremely playful and makes a great read aloud. It even worked well on the Kindle as there are a few pictures to go with the tale which when they appear are timed well and funny. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Here is a story that's stranger than strange.

(from the back) Katrina Katrell is a girl with a big heart and an even bigger imagination. Too bad her guardian, Mrs. "Krabby" Krabone will have none of it! When Katrina spots a shadowy figure lurking in a subway tunnel, Old Krabby decides the child must be mad, and invites the quack brain surgeon Dr. LeFang for a midnight house call...
But Katrina, of course, is thoroughly sane. (Old Krabby's the one who's lame in the brain!) The figure she spotted was Morty the zorgle, and he's on a quest to find the missing zorgles of Zorgamazoo! There they discover that someone--or something-- has kidnapped all of the Earth's most magical creatures!
Join Morty and Katrina as they journey from the Earth to the Moon on a magical rhyming adventure full of griffins, ogres, and sphinxes, and more (and creatures you've never heard of before!)

Imaginative and adventurous Katrina eludes her maniacal guardian to help Morty, a member of a vanishing breed of zorgles, with his quest to uncover the fate of the fabled zorgles of Zorgmazoo as well as of other creatures that seem to have disappeared from the earth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible