How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1957)

by Dr. Seuss

The Grinch tries to stop Christmas from arriving by stealing all the presents and food from the village, but much to his surprise it comes anyway.

English (149)  Spanish (1)  All languages (150)
A great children's book ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
A heartwarming tale with the wishful thought that people would still celebrate Christmas without merchandise. I'm surprised business owners ever let it be published. ;) ( )
  MrsLee | Feb 12, 2022 |
I usually read this book for others, either my students or my children .. or both and never for myself. I usually do not add picture books to my read list but this year I will be sitting down to Enjoy some classics for myself.

I love this book. It is by far my favorite story and the outcome always makes my heart melt. I love that from the start, the Grinch just really wants to take part but the assumption surrounding him can be felt. The supposed nice people are really the ones who are judging and mean, self consumed and altogether unwelcoming to someone different from them. All it took is one little kind heart to change how a person feels. Remember kindness always first. ( )
  mybookloveobsession | Dec 22, 2021 |
A few notes. Not being american i’d never heard of this book or Seuss, before the Jim Carrey, mini-PrettyReckless film. Which is a pretty good movie, not the biggest fan but most of the stuff they added really fills out this story well.

Hold on! One of the main reasons the Grinch hates the Whos is because of the noise.. isn’t that the plot of that animated Beowulf film they made with naked-golden-angelia-jolie-with-a-tail? (and yes that is the main thing i remember from that film.. :P ).
Grendel was sensitive to noise and the norse keggers every night drove him nuts. So that Beowulf is an adaptation of the Grinch.. thats hilarious :) .

Nimbly does not rhyme with Chimney.. oh he spelt it Chimbley... well in that case.. i hate it!, bad Seuss.

All of them being named Who just reminds me of Blazing Saddles where everyone in town is named Johnson (cause they’re inbred).

They eat Who-Beast, which just makes them sound like cannibals (which they probably are, due to all the inbreeding ;) ) .

That ending comes quite suddenly, the film makes that work better as you see the transition from the townsfolk from angry/sad at the missing presents to finding the meaning of christmas etc.
I've dropped a star right at the end there otherwise it would have been 4.

Edit: Ok, i've read this a couple more times now, there is something sort of hypnotic about it, i can see why it would be a yearly favourite i'm going to restore the star i took off. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Copy #3 is a small hardback
  icelibrary | Nov 3, 2021 |
For Teddy Owens
Every Who Down in Who-ville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, Who lived just North of Who-ville, Did NOT!

When the grumpy Grinch tries to steal Christmas from the citizens of Who-ville, he soon realises there's more to it than mistletoe and tinsel.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,291,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible