dismiss

Skim

by Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki (Illustrator)

"Skim" (Kimberly Keiko Cameron) is a not-slim would-be Wiccan goth who goes to a private girls' school. When her classmate Katie is dumped by her boyfriend, who then kills himself, the entire school goes into mourning overdrive. The popular clique stars a club to boost school spirit, but Skim sinks into an ever-deepening depression.… (more)

Of course, I cried. ( )
  lightkensei | May 17, 2020 |
I only made it to page 50 (my usual stopping point if I don't like the book) for two reasons. I did not like the illustrations at all. The faces were shaped very weird. Now normally if the story is good and keeps me interested, I tend to overlook bad illustrations. With this book, I couldn't get into the story and didn't like any of the characters. It was very confusing and I just didn't feel the need to read anymore.
  booklover3258 | Sep 13, 2019 |
Short comic with beautiful art! The story is a little lacking, but the style is strong and I'm a sucker for a Wiccan main character. Plus Canadian author! So pick this up if you can. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Beautifully drawn and very personal take on the turbulent and difficult time of growing up, first love, heart ache, fitting in, discovering your identity and coming to terms with it. Love changes everything. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I was not expecting this book - I judged it on its cover and couldn't put together that Skim is a Canadian teenager dealing with a season of change. It's well-drawn (in both senses of the word) and focuses 99% on women characters and the relationships between young women in a sensitive but not sentimental way. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |

Tamaki, MarikoAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tamaki, JillianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Charissa, and our families,
who make us happy
Dear Diary,

Today Lisa said, "Everyone thinks they are unique."

That is not unique!!
My school = goldfish tank of stupid.
Being sixteen is officially the worst thing I've ever been.
This is the thing about school dances. They make like it's supposed to be this other-worldly thing, but really it's just the people you see every day dressed up, standing in the gym in the dark with Red Hot Chili Peppers playing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,949,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible