Skim

by Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki (Illustrator)

"Skim" (Kimberly Keiko Cameron) is a not-slim would-be Wiccan goth who goes to a private girls' school. When her classmate Katie is dumped by her boyfriend, who then kills himself, the entire school goes into mourning overdrive. The popular clique stars a club to boost school spirit, but Skim sinks into an ever-deepening depression.… (more)

Spare and excellent writing paired with eloquent imagery. I don't know what I was expecting, but it blew me away. There was one image in particular that I sort of took in when reading the story. Stopped reading. Thought: that is an image of a woman drawn by someone who is in love with her. That is a first crush on paper. I read it and re-read it. It delighted me. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
While I have enjoyed various books that centered around the LGBTQ+ theme, this graphic novel does well to depict the uncertainties and struggles that youth and adolescents go through when trying to find identity. Not only is the main character, Skim, having to conceal the realization of her sexual identity but also having to juggle a school system with skewed ideals. Although I was uncomfortable with the developing relationship seen between Skim and her teacher, what I did find refreshing is the liberating ways that Skim's emotions were expressed. Scenes of her running through the night or being whisked away by the stampede of ballerinas, I am always in awe at how illustrators are able to express so much with two simple colors-Black and white. The story left me satisfied, glad Skim came to her senses about her feelings and happy that she was able to find a friendship that was true and not judgmental. A true coming of age story, this book is recommended to any adolescents or adults wanting to share in the struggles that is maturity. self-worth, and identity. ( )
  DeisyValle | Dec 6, 2021 |
I can appreciate the artistry of this graphic novel but I'm afraid that the plot seemed rather lacking. That is often my experience with graphic novels. I suspect that I am just too old and set in my ways to really enjoy graphic novels. But I'll keep trying.

Skim is a young Asian girl in what I presume (based on the plaid skirts, white blouses and ties the girls wear at school) is a private school. She has one best friend, Lisa, but her Goth appearance makes the other girls shun her. She isn't doing very well in school except for literature taught by Ms. Archer although she isn't very impressed with Romeo and Juliet that they are studying. Then a boy who used to date one of the girls in Skim's class commits suicide.Soon after his girlfriend, Katie, falls off a roof (or maybe jumps) and breaks both of her arms. The school, concerned that there will be other suicide attempts, schedules all the girls for one-on-one counselling sessions and the guidance counsellor is particularly concerned about Skim because of the Goth culture. Skim doesn't seem particularly suicidal but she says she is depressed attributing that to being a teenager. Skim develops a crush on Ms. Archer who comes and smokes with her in a ravine just off campus. Ms. Archer is certainly violating rules about teacher/student interactions and it messes up Skim even more than she already was. Eventually Ms. Archer leaves the school and Skim's friend Lisa gets involved with a new boyfriend. Things are changing in Skim's life. What will become of her? Unfortunately, we don't know because there is no real ending. I couldn't help but think of T. S. Eliot's line "This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper."

I know this book has been highly praised but as I said I am just not that impressed with it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 5, 2021 |
Quick and enjoyable read. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
teen graphic novel (realistic fiction--high school, suicidal teens, LGBTQ, relationships) ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Tamaki, MarikoAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tamaki, JillianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Charissa, and our families,
who make us happy
Dear Diary,

Today Lisa said, "Everyone thinks they are unique."

That is not unique!!
My school = goldfish tank of stupid.
Being sixteen is officially the worst thing I've ever been.
This is the thing about school dances. They make like it's supposed to be this other-worldly thing, but really it's just the people you see every day dressed up, standing in the gym in the dark with Red Hot Chili Peppers playing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,097,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible