Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison…

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (2006)

by Alison Bechdel

English (292)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (304)
This gets only three stars because I have a bias - I saw the musical 5 times, and really, really loved it. Fun Home is good source material; I thought it was interesting and complex and packed in a lot of detail. However, I felt the musical took some of the most important parts and distilled the rest, in addition to framing the conception of the book in a very innovative way.

And I think there lies the problem of seeing an adaptation prior to reading the source material. It's so much harder to judge each on its own merits. I liked this book but didn't love it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I enjoyed the graphic novel. She had an interesting and somewhat tragic childhood which lead to a tragic loss of her father when she was 20 years old. After reading the book, I am curious to see how it plays out in a Broadway play.

If you have seen the musical, or have heard about it, I think it would be worth the read. Please be aware that this book is not for children/pre-teens. There are a lot of adult scenes/conversations in this graphic novel. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Astounding. Poignant, candid, a painful story of growing up with a difficult father, a search for identity, and discovering dark family secrets along the way. The book is a tribute to Bechdel's father, a man tortured by his guilt and repressed identity, and to their complex relationship: "We were the inversion of each other".

Extremely powerful, every single frame carries aching, profound revelations, questions, significance.

I am immediately re-reading it. This is something I never do. It is that good. Read it.
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Dense and cerebral memoir about a woman's relationship with her father. Interesting and well-illustrated but for me too wordy and literary. ( )
  questbird | Oct 26, 2018 |
OK, I finished [Fun Home]. A remarkable effort by this author, I'm told this was maybe the first memoir done in the style of "graphic novel". Well done! At one point in the book she contrasts the drama of her family life with her own cool approach to understanding it. And I think she hit the nail on the head, no drama in the book, but clearly there was drama in this family.

I recommend it highly. ( )
  maggie1944 | Sep 24, 2018 |
Bechdel’s style is straightforward. Her detailed drawings strive to present what she remembers accurately and with detail. The book is black-and-white with a blue-grey watercolor wash that provides depth and adds to the feeling of memory.

For Mom, Christian, and John.

We did have a lot of fun, in spite of everything.
Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane."

In this groundbreaking, bestselling graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father. In her hands, personal history becomes a work of amazing subtlety and power, written with controlled force and enlivened with humor, rich literary allusion, and heartbreaking detail.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the "Fun Home." It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

Beeldroman over de problematische verhouding tussen de lesbische schrijfster en haar homoseksuele vader

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,793,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible