Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison…

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (2006)

by Alison Bechdel

5,203284859 (4.19)486

English (273)  Danish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (285)
I don't often read graphic novels, but my husband bought this for my daughter (16) who came out at age 13. He read it first, and then I did. I enjoyed Bechdel's drawings and her story is both heartbreaking and humorous (with more than a tinge of sadness). It is a tragedy that is converted by her wit and sense of irony into something wonderfully touching. ( )
  Marse | Oct 15, 2017 |
Of interest to young adults and adults alike, this graphic-novel-style memoir is one of the most acclaimed LGBT books of last few decades; the author is Alison Bechdel, of "Bechdel test" and "Dykes to Watch out For" fame. ( )
  NorthStarCC | Sep 30, 2017 |
Alison Bechdel grew up in the 1970s. Her family lived in a huge home, a home her father was constantly fixing up. Her father was a high school teacher and a funeral home director in a small town, and though Alison didn’t know it, he was gay. Alison herself realized she was a lesbian when she was in college. The book looks at her life while she was growing up, and in particular, her relationship with her often-distant father.

I really enjoyed this. It is a graphic novel and I liked the mostly simple artwork. Many of the literary references were over my head, though (Alison and her father shared a love of reading). The chapters mostly focus on a particular topic, so one would mainly focus on her father’s death, one on growing up around the “fun house” (nickname for the funeral home!), another her father’s restoration projects, etc. So, although it generally went in chronological order, it wasn’t completely. I still thought it flowed well, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 6, 2017 |
Bechdel's memoir is a superb intellectual journey into her youth, examining her own budding sexuality and struggles with mental illness alongside her father's constant struggles with self identity. It's inspiring to see an author be so honest about her past, to see how these little moments in a life come together to create the deep seated narrative that impacts our adulthood. It's beautifully drawn and is that rare piece that leaves you imagining your own life and the many pieces building your own story. ( )
  JOlson724 | Jul 30, 2017 |
I really loved this. I've heard of Alison Bechdel and I've heard of Fun Home, but I really had no idea what it was about other than a vague idea that it was about her rocky relationship with her father, which I had always assumed meant he was homophobic. I had no idea he was gay himself. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Jul 13, 2017 |
Bechdel’s style is straightforward. Her detailed drawings strive to present what she remembers accurately and with detail. The book is black-and-white with a blue-grey watercolor wash that provides depth and adds to the feeling of memory.

For Mom, Christian, and John.

We did have a lot of fun, in spite of everything.
Like many fathers, mine could occasionally be prevailed on for a spot of "airplane."

In this groundbreaking, bestselling graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father. In her hands, personal history becomes a work of amazing subtlety and power, written with controlled force and enlivened with humor, rich literary allusion, and heartbreaking detail.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the "Fun Home." It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

This book takes its place alongside the unnerving, memorable, darkly funny family memoirs of Augusten Burroughs and Mary Karr. It's a father-daughter tale perfectly suited to the graphic memoir form. Meet Alison's father, a historic preservation expert and obsessive restorer of the family's Victorian house, a third-generation funeral home director, a high school English teacher, an icily distant parent, and a closeted homosexual who, as it turns out, is involved with male students and a family babysitter. Through narrative that is alternately heartbreaking and fiercely funny, we are drawn into a daughter's complex yearning for her father. And yet, apart from assigned stints dusting caskets at the family-owned 'fun home, ' as Alison and her brothers call it, the relationship achieves its most intimate expression through the shared code of books. When Alison comes out as homosexual herself in late adolescence, the denouement is swift, graphic, and redemptive.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible