Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine

Shortcomings (2007)

by Adrian Tomine

English (46)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (48)
4.5 Clean, shockingly beautiful drawings hold the messy ambiguity of relationships between people in their twenties and the difficulties of the "model minority". Perfectly made, the only downside is that I read it in an hour. Worth it for the panels without words. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this graphic novel. I found it through one of those, "Six Graphic Novels You Should Read Right Now Or Your Life Is Shit" lists. Reading this, I'm not certain everyone would fall all over themselves in praise but I sure did. :)
I definitely encourage you to read it if you are into thoughtful, compelling, and intelligent literature. You really have to read it if you like all the aforementioned plus dig graphic novels.

I try not to read the jacket reviews until I have finished the book. For this one, when I turned the last page, this was the first review I read:

"Meticulously observed... The dialogue is pitch-perfect ans succint. [Tomine is] daring in his restraint."
-NY Times Book Review

And I was all like, "Yup." ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
This book is hilarious. But I'm Caucasian and 60 and have been married to a Japanese man the same age as me for 21 years. It's not another graphic novel, but I highly recommend Where the Body Meets Memory by David Mura for a great dive into Japanese-American assimilation issues. ( )
  MaryMcConnell | Jan 10, 2017 |
Hated the male character!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I had some thoughts on Shortcomings after I finished reading it a month and a half ago, but those thoughts are lost to me now. Here's what I remember. I like Tomine's art style, as always. I have limited exposure to graphic novelists, but Tomine is by far my favorite with his crisp, realistic, detail-driven images. This story had its moments of greatness, but overall, I recall a sense of self-indulgence overshadowing any points the story could've successfully addressed. Shortcomings comes nowhere near the beauty and heartache of Killing and Dying, but it was still a visual treat and a very short read. ( )
  chrisblocker | Jul 8, 2016 |
added by dcozy | editJapan Times, David Cozy (Dec 30, 2007)

For Sarah

When Miko moves temporarily to live and study in New York she leaves behind Ben, a confused, obsessive, 30 year old theatre manager who finds himself desperately trying to answer the big questions. But aided only by his promiscuous friend Alice, and spending increasing time with his new employee Autumn, things only seem to get more confusing. Does he know what he wants? Is he everything Miko accuses of him? Should he follow her to New York?A painful, charming and stunningly illustrated look at the realities of modern relationships. Shortcomings is one of the most brilliantly subtle, witty and moving graphic novels around.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible