Blankets (2003)

by Craig Thompson

Loosely based on the author's life, chronicling his journey from childhood to adulthood, exploring the people, experiences, and beliefs that he encountered along the way.
    The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (McMinty, 2810michael)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    American Jesus - Book One: Chosen by Mark Millar (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both comic books are about coming of age and a boy's relationship to Christianity. They are both thought-provoking, but in different ways.
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Hibou8)
    Ghost World by Daniel Clowes (hazzabamboo)
    Born Again by Kelly Kerney (Percevan)
    Percevan: Both books deal with coming of age of after rigid fundamentalist christian upbringing, but in different formats: a girl's thought provoking fictional story in a novel (Born again) and a beautiful graphic novel with the autobiographical story of a boy (Blankets).… (more)
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Percevan)
    Underdogs by Markus Zusak (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: While The Underdogs is not a graphic novel, Markus Zusak does create a series of somewhat autobiographical coming of age tales similar to the story told in Blankets. Zusak's prose is poetic and creates images through words as Thompson creates actual images.
    Moonshadow by J. M. DeMatteis (apokoliptian)
    Black Hole by Charles Burns (2810michael)

English (214)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (230)
This graphic novel gives me chills just thinking about it. The story swept me from beginning to end and I was amazed at how beautiful the imagery was combined with a plot that is simple yet so complex in the most awesome way possible. Being young and in love is one thing, but when family and religion crosses your path, it can change and deepen your perception to what is right and wrong. This showed that telling a story with drawings is just as equally important as words. I highly recommend it. ( )
  rosaroxxie | Aug 17, 2022 |
A powerful, raw and touching story with beautiful, expressive illustrations. This is among the first graphic novels I've read, and I'm glad it was. ( )
  beets4borshenko | Jul 25, 2022 |
This is not a book you enjoy, but it is thought-provoking. Honestly, it was draining and depressing, but real life cannot be censored. There's a lot of abuse, implied sexual abuse, child abuse, negligent parents, religious extremism, guilt, un-politically correct terminology, and oh-so-much repression.

At times, I thought Raina was framed somewhat as a manic-pixie girl in Craig's life, but she was more of a reprieve for him from his strict, overly religious midwest childhood.

It's sad the author was surrounded by so many small-minded people, but his artwork still shines beautifully. I honestly thought this was fictional because it just seemed overly depressing. Like, bullied at school and by the church kids? I thought maybe the author was overdoing it. But I think this is an actual memoir or at least inspired by parts of his actual life. SN: The thing about church youth getaways being a hotspot for hooking up is actually very true.

I feel conflicted with the rating because I did not enjoy reading this, but it's no fault on the actual writing or artwork. Rating may change. ( )
  DestDest | Jul 24, 2022 |
Sensible, dura ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
I can relate in so many ways to Craig Thompson's Blankets. This was so touching, so beautiful, so poignant. There were parts that made me gasp out loud, and scenes so perfectly depicted that I lingered on them just to soak them in. Amazing piece of work, truly. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
Blankets is an attempt to rejuvenate such well-trod themes as social isolation, religious guilt, and first love; the vitality of which has become too frequently obscured by countless hackneyed dramas and endless clichés. Toward the very end of this “illustrated novel,” Craig notes, while walking in snow, how “satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface.” In Blankets, Thompson does just this: through daring leaps of visual storytelling, he makes wonderfully fresh marks upon a surface long worn blank.

In telling his story, which includes beautifully rendered memories of the small brutalities that parents inflict upon their children and siblings upon each other, Thompson describes the ecstasy and ache of obsession (with a lover, with God) and is unafraid to suggest the ways that obsession can consume itself and evaporate.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Ken Tucker (Sep 13, 2003)

...credit writer-artist Craig Thompson, 27, for infusing his bittersweet tale of childhood psyche bruising, junior Christian angst, and adolescent first love with a lyricism so engaging, the pages fly right by.

I would be unlikely to share Blankets with someone who told me they wanted to understand comix. Instead, I would give it to anyone who told me they wanted to read a book that made them feel transcendent, sad, generous, hopeful — but above all, to truly feel something.
added by stephmo | editPowells.com, Chris Bolton (Aug 23, 2003)

Part teen romance novel, part coming-of-age novel, part faith-in-crisis novel and all comix, "Blankets" is a great American novel.
added by stephmo | editTIME, Andrew Arnold (Jul 11, 2003)

Thompson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, AlainTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dohmen, ToonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliege, Claudiasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, with love.
When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,070,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible