Tithe

by Holly Black

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (1)

5,6962011,747 (3.74)250
Sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling (madmarch)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (Anna_Claire99)
    Anna_Claire99: It deals with the Fae and is a great series.

English (196)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (200)
The book started out rather slow, but the progressive use of folk elements in the books was really nice. The descriptions of the Seelie and Unseelie court are of a quality you rarely encounter in modern fairytales. Although I couldn't relate to the main character at all, the story turned out nice in the end. ( )
  jd7h | Feb 18, 2024 |
Not as good as Valiant. I couldn't relate to the characters and ultimately didn't much care what happened to them. ( )
  nilaffle | Nov 6, 2023 |
After choosing the Darkest Part in the Forest as my first Holly Black book, I decided to look for her first stories in the world of Elfhame - before I read the Folk and Air series. . . I opened the page of Tithe - it sucked me in and spit me out - I loved this story. I enjoyed Kate being weird and didn't understand why everyone thought she was a looney. I didn't mind the foul language or the way they spoke as most teens do, maybe not in front of their parents.
Roiben is super mysterious, hot and strong. I liked Corny's part in the story, it felt that Kaye had made a better friend than Janet. ( )
  Aya666 | Aug 3, 2023 |
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh I love books about faeries. ( )
  aeryn0 | Jul 23, 2023 |
Rating: 1.5 stars

I really wanted to like this book. I generally like Holly Black’s books. But this one... this one just didn’t do it for me at all.

I found the main character, Kaye, to be very juvenile. While I was reading, I envisioned her to be somewhere between 12-14 years old. At one point I even had to go online to see if I had picked up a children's book instead of YA. But, the back of the book says she is 16 and there is reference towards the end where she states her age. However, Kaye makes reference at one point to being too young to drive… but she is 16…?

Because Kaye feels so young, I found her habit of smoking to be uncomfortable and her budding relationship with Robin to be a little disturbing. Not to mention that there was zero chemistry between them so their kissing didn't really make sense to me.

The romance between Roiben and Kaye just seemed unbelievable and very disjointed. Nothing in the story points towards attraction on either of their parts. So it was weird for them to be kissing.

It was a quick read overall, but I found the characters to be vastly underdeveloped and there was no emotional depth or attachment. I did care when characters were missing or if they died.

Sadly, this is one of my lowest ratings ever. I do not recommend this one. ( )
  The_Well_Read_Lab | Mar 26, 2023 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spalenka, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,576,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible