Tithe

by Holly Black

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (1)

Sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (Anna_Claire99)
    Anna_Claire99: It deals with the Fae and is a great series.
    Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A fantastical collection of three short stories, all of which mix romance and magic and our world in chilling, wonderful, engaging ways.
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)

English (182)  Spanish (1)  All languages (183)
When this book came out in 2002 it was at the forefront of the wave of YA urban fantasy (mythic realism) that would sweep the publishing industry for the next few years, and even 18 years later (how it that even possible?!) it still holds up. Black has continued to write in the genre with her Folk of the Air series, but Tithe was the book that started it all and I’m sure I’m not the only one who read it back in 2002 and continues to come back to it with fond nostalgia. Taking an ages old faerie tradition, the Tithe that binds Faerie courts every seven years, Black explores traditional fey mythology but throws it into the modern age with leading character Kaye - a mortal girl with no end of issues, the least of which may be that she’s actually a changeling. Kaye has been able to see the fey for years, but with many moves to bigger cities she has lost touch with her otherworldly childhood companions. At least, until a bad turn of luck forces her mother to move them back to New Jersey, and Kaye is thrown back into her old haunts. Kaye’s story is one that so many of us magically-inclined teenagers dreamt of - running into a faerie knight, being thrown into danger, but managing to fight our way out (and fall in love at the same time) - but Black treats her story with more darkness and realism than is often expected. For me, this darkness rang a lot more true than some of the more light depictions of interactions with the fey, as it forces us to remember that they are not of the mortal world and don’t play by the same rules as we do. Of course, they have their own rules, which Kaye uses her street smarts (with no small dose of sheer dumb luck) to take advantage of, as she navigates her way through the conflict between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts (and the wild fey). Kaye’s story is engrossing throughout, and has many hidden messages about dealing with the modern aspects of Faerie, so it is no wonder that Black has earned herself a solid place on the modern fantasy pantheon. ( )
1 vote JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
fun stories ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
So, currently I am playing a DnD game that is focused on changelings/The Gentry. I also picked this book up for the first time years ago, as a kid, thinking it was an entirely different book than it was. That was perhaps the main reason I didn't finish reading it back then. I confused the author for the character and thought it was an Artemis Fowl book spinoff or something similar to that, and when I was wrong I stopped reading.

I wish I hadn't. Holly Black is just amazing. The details are killer, and the setting is perfect, and the Fae are as beautiful and cruel as one would expect them to be. And Kaye, the main character, is great too. As impatient and demanding as any teenager, she discovers a world beyond hers and...doesn't panic like most would, or succumb to the traditional Fae pleasures like humans might (for Reasons). Kaye is special and I love her.
I can't wait to finish the rest of the series. ( )
1 vote m_mozeleski | Aug 22, 2020 |
2.5 stars ( )
  Pezski | Jun 21, 2020 |
Details are inconsistent, characters are not believable. Gave up at 50%. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spalenka, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,932,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible