Tithe

by Holly Black

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (1)

Sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling (madmarch)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)
    A Simple Tale of Water and Weeping by Kami King Larsen (Anonymous user)
    The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)

English (187)  Spanish (2)  All languages (189)
The writing is confusing at times, the plot is rushed (there were important things happening in a sentence) but I loved the story and can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  inkspellonyou | Aug 10, 2022 |
Þokkalegasta unglingabók. Hér segir frá stúlku sem blandast í átök tveggja fylkinga í álfheimum. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
This was the one I didn't love. It has good elements, but it didn't grab me as strongly as her books since have. I might re-read it. What's in it? Fairies, bad and good, green skinned girls, youth and grief, homosexuality dealt with well. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Absolutely fantastic plot line, believable likable characters. I fell in love with this book and series. Great first of a series. ( )
  xofelf | Apr 5, 2022 |
I was captivated almost from the very first word of Tithe. Holly Black's writing is effortless to read, crisp and evocative and just lyrical enough to capture the fey quality of her story without bogging down in its own poetry. Her careful blending of Faerie into the modern world is utterly convincing and darkly beautiful, populated as it is with the distant, treacherous denizens of faerie folklore. Against such a backdrop, Kaye's story takes on the qualities of a true fairy tale---part romance, part cautionary tale, part discovery of self. And though Kaye is far from perfect, her willingness to venture past the illusions surrounding her and brave the dangers beyond them invites us to share the journey with her. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spalenka, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,687,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible