The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King

by Julie Kagawa

Series: The Iron Fey (1)

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (298)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (300)
This is a very interesting book about a adventure a girl takes on her 16th birthday her name is Megan. Megan starts to feel very different on her 16th birthday and starts seeing things no one else does. the next day Megan gets really mad at a boy from her school for embarrassing her. When Megan gets home her brother is acting very odd and makes Megan pass out and bites her. Then her best friend Puck comes and explains everything like how the fey stole her brother.they fey are fairies and puck is one of the most infamous ones ever. So she goes on a journey to the Seelie court in the land of the fey and she finds out she is the princess of the Summer Court, but finds out her brother isn't there. So Megan and Puck leave to go to the Unseelie court or the Winter court to find her brother. Then someone jumps them and fights Puck. Megan pulls them apart and she meets Ash, Pucks rival/best friend. Then Ash takes puck and Megan to the winter court who explains that they don't have Megan's brother either. So Megan and Ash must travel into the dangerous iron kingdom to kill the iron king and get Megan's brother. ( )
  JuliannS.B2 | Sep 7, 2017 |
Fae. Teen angst. Magical creatures. And a love triangle. Typical YA fantasy series, and pretty ok.

GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I never actually finished this book because it was so bad. I got 1/3 of the way through and could tell that it wasn't going to get any better so I stopped reading. I was extremely disappointed because I've heard such good things about this author and series from trustworthy sources.
To be good, an author needs to write the book so that it seems so real that while reading, the reader is convinced that it could actually happen. This book does not do that AT ALL. The characters do not have depth, and everything seems so overly fake that it feels like something a 2 year old would write (no offense meant to young children or to the author). None of the details were elaborated upon and everything is shallow and lacks explanation and depth.
To me, this book seems like Alice in wonderland, but poorly written. The main character enters a world that just doesn't make sense and doesn't mesh together with our world like a good book should. Where is the nevernever located? (And seriously? The NEVERNEVER? What kind of name is that?!) Give us some history on it. We don't know anything about it except the part of it.
Also, none of the "monster battles" leading up to Meghan meeting King Oberon have ANYTHING to do with the plot. To add to this, half of the characters were stolen form Shakespeare! It does explain this, and it would make sense if not for the fact that half of the characters are Shakespeare's, some are from Greek or roman mythology, and some are just common fairies from fairytales.
Overall, this book lacks the depth and realism that a book needs to have. The parts of the beginning of the story that I have read don't mesh together, and it certainly does not make me want to read more of this series, book, or author. However, I will give the author the benefit of the doubt and read the rest of this book. I just hope that it improves before I finish so that I can write a better review. ( )
  MarinMWay | Jul 17, 2017 |
Even Meghan Chase doesn't know the secrets about her. Her father disappeared, and now her best friend isn't who she thought he was. A whole new world awaits Meghan.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 2, 2017 |
The one thing I appreciated about this book was that it did not take very long for Meghan to figure out she was half fey. Afterwards, the story continues in a fast pace as Meghan tries to figure out how to get her brother, Ethan, back to the human world - while picking up a few unlikely friends along the way.

I enjoyed reading in Meghan's voice, she was a tough female lead who was dedicated to finding and returning her brother to the human world. She gave vivid descriptions of the fey world and its creatures, which is necessary for the world building.

The story moves along quickly, but not so quickly that you can't take a breath. The characters take on a life of their own and the ending is strong. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of books in this series.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,617,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible