City of Bones

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (01), The Shadowhunter Chronicles: Author-recommended order (The Mortal Instruments, 2007-1)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Marked (House of Night, Book 1) by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (871)  Spanish (7)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (889)
I had some big gripes with some turns the plot took but I was won over by the end, I'm definitely going to pick up the second. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 8, 2024 |
Clary Fray, 15 anos, decide passar a noite em uma boate em Nova York. O maior de seus problemas provavelmente seria lidar com o truculento segurança da porta, certo? Errado. Clary testemunha um crime, e não um crime qualquer: um assassinato cometido por três adolescentes cobertos por enigmáticas tatuagens, brandindo armas esquisitas. Para completar, o corpo da vítima desaparece no ar.

Clary quer ligar para a polícia; quer gritar; quer chamar seu amigo, Simon, que ficou na boate enquanto ela teve a infeliz ideia de perseguir o menino bonitinho de cabelo azul... Mas como explicar a eles que ninguém mais na rua enxerga os assassinos, apenas ela? Como provar que houve um crime se não há rastro algum do sangue do garoto morto - aliás, era mesmo um menino?

Mas ela nem tem tempo de tomar uma decisão; logo os assassinos se apresentam para a estranha mundana que não deveria vê-los, mas vê. Jace, Alec e Isabelle são Caçadores de Sombras, guerreiros cuja missão é proteger o mundo que conhecemos de demônios e outras criaturas. Vampiros que saem da linha, lobisomens descontrolados, monstros cheios de veneno? É por aí mesmo. E depois desse primeiro contato com o Mundo de Sombras, e com Jace - um Caçador que tem a aparência de um anjo, mas a língua tão afiada quanto Lúcifer -, a vida de Clary nunca mais será a mesma. Mesmo.

Sombrio, engraçado e sexy, Cidade dos Ossos é o primeiro volume da série Os Instrumentos Mortais , de Cassandra Clare, que virou um verdadeiro fenômeno mundial e vendeu mais de 50 milhões de exemplares.
  saladeleituraberna_ | Jul 3, 2024 |
Meh. Lotsa tropes. LOTSA similes and waxing poetic language amid a super modern, teenage slang-filled world? The author is clearly another character in this story who is never addressed.

Didn’t rage quit though, so it gets an additional star. ( )
  illarai | Jun 26, 2024 |
This is one of those books that makes me wish goodreads would used half-stars; it's a solid 3.5 for me. The story is pretty straightforward YA-lit. The main character, a teenager, discovers she has something unique about her and she falls in with a supernatural crowd as a result. Adventure, with a bit of romance, ensues. It's a plot driven story, with little in the way of serious character development (although there is some). If you read enough of these kind of books, you won't find the twists all that surprising. That said, I was pleased that the main character was stronger than the Bella Swan-esque waif I was expecting. In fact, I thought Cassy (the character, not the author. Ahem.) walked a nice balance of being assertive while still showing her confusion over the nature of a new reality. The influences of geek culture are evident, especially Star Wars and Harry Potter, but only in the types of characters and situations presented, not in any overt sense. It's good entertainment for middle school on up. ( )
  Library_Guard | Jun 17, 2024 |
{my thoughts} - I hadn't even known that Cassandra Clare wrote fanfiction until after I had read this book. I really was impressed by it. The writing style is unique. The description of both worlds is a reckoning when it comes to imagery. I was able to visualize everything that was being written and I had a clear idea of what was being said within the storyline. I wasn't lost nor confused throughout the entire book. I enjoyed it and I am sure others will as well.

This book is about a teenage girl named Clarrisa Frey. She learns that she belongs to a hidden world that has been hidden from her due to her mother's desire to protect her from the bad within the world around them. Her mother takes certain precaustions to hide this world as she has been hiding for years were she lived and who she had become. Her mother has a deep history that is somewhat disturbing in my opinion but it all unwinds within the pages of this book. It is very nicely written and enjoyable to read.

{reason for reading} - I had a lot of friends that were raving about these books so I read them based on the belief that they were probably a good set of books and I have to agree they were a really good read. ( )
  Zapkode | Jun 1, 2024 |

Witt, ElsbethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yeniçeri, SelimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Клеър, КасандраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,357,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible