dismiss

City of Bones

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (1), The Shadowhunter Chronicles (7)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (762)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (778)
Originally read: 2011.

Re-read: Jan 2017. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
This is one of those books where I fell more in love with the side characters and worldbuilding than the actual plot of the book. I feel that I should reread it, as it has been a while since I read it. ( )
  kennydied | Jun 29, 2020 |

This book starts well, in fact till about 3/4th of the book it's unputdownable. It's super-fast, interesting and well written. I couldn't care much for the characters though, I disliked Clary or Jace as the main characters. Luke was likable but the rest of the characters were unremarkable. This is a proper YA fantasy which is to say I probably would have liked it better in my teenage years than now. This book distinctly reminded me of my age and how I am not the target audience of this book. So if I am not raving about this book it's partly because of that.

This book has a lot of themes similar to Harry potter. Saved by mother/her love. Close relative/friend a werewolf. An institute/learning center. A muggle in the Harry Potter world is a mundane here. Somebody even turns into a mouse just as in Harry Potter! But the similarities end right there.

While Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone (Btw Harry potter is Middle grade it's not even YA) is intriguing enough to warrant a read multiple times, this might not even entice me to read it a second time. The supposed twist near the end is what killed this book for me. I detested the twist and I was surprised by the ending, not in a good way but in a way where I was turning the pages to see if they are torn out/are missing. The ending felt incomplete and was dissatisfying. I agree this is a part of a series, but even in a series, every book has a logical ending. A story is completed with some cliffhanger/s left for the readers to continue from in the next book. But this book's ending was anti-climactic and very disappointing so much so that I am not sure if I'll continue with the next book in the series.

Two conflicting opinions are playing into my decision of continuing with this series. One, this book felt quite juvenile to me, even by YA standards. Second, I have heard and continue hearing good things about this series in Social media. So, I have decided to put this series on the backburner for now. I am planning to read quite a few series in 2020. (Expect a post on it soon!) hence I currently don't have the bandwidth for this series but it still will be on my TBR list owing to its popularity and cult status.

For a full review on this book, check out my post @ https://rrkreads.wordpress.com/2019/12/21/book-review-city-of-bones-and-beyond-t... ( )
  rrkreads | Jun 15, 2020 |
I've wanted to get into this series for so long. I wanted to find out why this series is so popular. We follow this girl ,Clary .She goes to a club with her friend Simon and madness just follows. The story only gets better and better and mindblowing events occur . It took some time to get used to all the characters , shadowhunter world and demons and vampires among many others. The last 100 pages of the book are the best. My mouth was open all along.For someone looking for a good fantasy series....must read!!! ( )
  manogna_thumukunta | Jun 5, 2020 |
It was a good novel for the genre, and I can see why the twilight crowd might latch onto the series with gusto. My only complaint is a regular complaint about novels with an immature girly protaganist with too little knowledge about self-preservation. What is it about modern YA novels turning a standardized horror genre with stupid teenagers dying into stupid teenagers inexplicably powering up and surviving against all reason? I'm saying this even with a healthy respect for all types of internal consistency.

I must be very careful now, because I'm certain a gaggle of girls will start hunting me with polished internet stakes. I hope my death is quick, at least. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,862,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible