HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

City of Bones

by Cassandra Clare

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: The Mortal Instruments (1), The Shadowhunter Chronicles (7)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
17,191831240 (3.86)375
Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
  1. 160
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
  2. 60
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
  3. 40
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
  4. 30
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
  5. 20
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
  6. 20
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
  7. 10
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
  8. 10
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
  9. 23
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
  10. 211
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 375 mentions

English (811)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (828)
Showing 1-5 of 811 (next | show all)
extremely predictable. the plot-twist is not cool, even if you know what happens later in the series.
just goes off so many of the fantasy books of the time. ( )
  swgdy | Jun 26, 2022 |
2 stelle e mezzo

Dunque... Ricordo di aver letto alcuni libri di questa saga alle medie, per poi abbandonarli. Recentemente ho letto L'angelo, Il Principe e La Principessa, la trilogia di The Infernal Devices. Mi erano piaciuti abbastanza, così ho deciso di comprare la serie principale e rileggerla. Prima di farlo però ho guardato la serie tv, che ho ADORATO. E sono dell'opinione che sia molto meglio di ciò che ho letto fino ad ora. Di gran lunga.
Tralasciando il plagio ( e non scherzo, Cassandra Clare è attualmente sotto processo e comunque si sapeva già) e il fatto che l'autrice sembra non essere una brava persona, il mio compito è recensire il libro.
La storia segue Clary, che scopre di far parte degli Shadowhunters e di essere legata al Mondo Invisibile.
Il libro è scritto più o meno decentemente, ma l'autrice continua a mettere similitudini che sinceramente danno fastidio. Non riesce a scrivere senza? Il libro ne è pieno, come se lei non sapesse mostrare le cose diversamente.
Clary è un personaggio insopportabile, Jace uno stupido arrogante. E' stato davvero tremendo dover leggere di loro mentre tutti gli altri personaggi sembravano di gran lunga più interessanti. Mi riferisco ad Alec, Isabelle, Magnus, Raphael e persino Hodge. Al diavolo, anche Hugo (il corvo).
Comunque, la storia in sé è interessante. Si parla delle differenze tra Nephilim (gli Shadowhunters) e i Nascosti (elfi, fate, stregoni, lupi mannari, vampiri...) e gli Accordi tra le due parti.
Il cattivo della serie è Valentine, che potrebbe anche chiamarsi Hitler per quanto mi riguarda, visto che ciancia di purezza della razza e di sterminare i Nascosti. Questo particolare è molto interessante e mi ha fatto continuare a leggere per vedere come la Clare abbia scritto di questo argomento.
Nel complesso non posso dargli tre stelle piene, perché i problemi sono troppi, ma continuerò a leggere la saga per vedere se migliora e, comunque, per conoscere la storia "originale" (ahem) in vista della seconda stagione della serie TV

recensione presente anche su http://thereadingpal.blogspot.it ( )
  thereadingpal | Jun 14, 2022 |
Good series - fun, exciting adventure, and romance. I recommended this to Ellie. Jordan loves the series too. ( )
  kathp | Jun 10, 2022 |
I enjoy the characters and the story. I thought that the twist close to the end added a little more to the story. I can't wait for the characters to grow and to learn more about them. I am most interested in what will happen with Simon and Clary, how will Jace play into their relationship and Where does Alec belong in the mix. ( )
  kskristine | May 17, 2022 |
I just discovered Cassandra Clare and I'm sitting here, feeling like an idiot. I've loved Vampires, withes, werewolves and the paranormal all of my life and, so, how did I miss her?

City of Bones was everything the reviews promised and much more. Clary, the central figure in the story, goes through some serious changes as she discovers that she is not who she thought.

While out at a night, club aptly named Pandemonium, Clary witnesses the murder of a boy that no one else can see. While explaining it to her best friend, Simon, Clary's house is attacked and her mother disappears.

Life as a teenager is over for Clary from this point forward as she finds the army of Shadowhunters in the city and what her role is to be.

Lots of great shapeshifters, vampires and other monsters appear, as well as the revelation that her quirky neighbor downstairs, is a witch.

Clary finds out quickly that she is much more than human. She, and her Mother, are central to the survival of the world.

I can't wait to keep on reading this series. As it appears many others before me have done. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 811 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (8 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
向慕華Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
რაზმაძ… გიორგიTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bagović, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breivik, Pål F.Overs.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charton, BénédicteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
管阳阳Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dionisio, IsabellaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
龚萍Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
茹静Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fritz, FrancaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallart, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garcia Pons, AïdaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Μοσχή, ΦωτεινήTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jinga, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kamper, GergelyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kazemian, SaeidehTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klēra, KasandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kořínek, OtakarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koop, HeinrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lafon, JulieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luna, José LuísTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maršíková, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunes, PatriciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Otto, NeleToimetajasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perger, AlenkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perschke, Mette SkotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrukaitis, VytautasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reszka, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reyes, Delos JanisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risheden, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sawatzki, AndreaSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stajković, JelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strautniece, IntaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suits, KristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sussekind, RitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violin, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witt, ElsbethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yeniçeri, SelimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Клеър, КасандраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
Dedication
For my grandfather
First words
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
Quotations
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Haiku summary
Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (3.86)
0.5 12
1 151
1.5 20
2 351
2.5 59
3 952
3.5 194
4 1557
4.5 139
5 1594

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,587,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible