City of Bones

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (1), The Shadowhunter Chronicles (7)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (790)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (807)
A bit of light-hearted teenage melodrama in an urban fantasy setting. ( )
  brakketh | Jun 14, 2021 |
I liked the world-building of this book. The terms were very creative. This book was very interesting and that's why I continued on with the series. I would recommend to those who like fantasy. ( )
  MiraLadybug | Jun 7, 2021 |
It's been two months since I've read this, and I can't for the life of me understand how I rated this 4 stars. Thus, the new 3 star rating.

Review:
I liked it, but definitely didn't love it.

It wasn't a bad book, on the whole, but it could definitely have been better. I felt the main problem was the overload of world-building in the beginning. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hate it when there isn't enough world-building, but in this one I was very close to giving up because of the world-dumping.

Fortunately, this book got better around 35% in, and I was more or less enjoying it then. I was seriously irritated by the very forthcoming characters in this book. I mean, usually you have characters that don't give out enough information, and you slowly unveil that information about the world in general throughout the book. In this book however, we had a lot of very forthcoming characters; every single one of them had almost nothing to hide, they were just spilling out their guts to Clary.

I also found Clary very irritating, for being seriously whiny, and the other characters, for indulging her. Jace and Simon were kinda okay, but Jace was also very open about everything. I mean, these people are supposed to be a secret from the entire world, why are you giving out so many of your secrets to someone you have known for 2 seconds??!!?!? When it's also against the law?!?!!??!

I think my absolute main problem with this was that I expected this to be something like PJO, and I was seriously disappointed on that front.....the reason for this expectation was that I have seen these books along with the PJO books, and so this unreasonable expectation was completely my fault. But I was disappointed.

Now, another thing I hated why were Jace and Clary written in a romantic relationship kinda way when they were siblings?!?! It's not throwing you off, it's just plain weird. I feel that thye should not have been written like that if they were going to end up being siblings.

Also, almost all the big reveals were really underwhelming, because I had guessed most of them before they happened: Valentine's Joselyn's husband? Guessed it. Falcon's going to die? Guessed it. Lucien's a wolf? Guessed it. Valentine's her father? Guessed it. Valentine's his father? Guessed it. Jace is Jonathan? Guessed it. Jace's her brother? Guessed it.

I was just mostly irritated and underwhelmed by this book, and I'm not sure I want to read the next one. I will most likely read it, but not right now. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I read this nearly 10 years ago when I was just an itty bitty 14year old year 9 student and I adored it.
I've re read it (listened to) the audiobook and I still loved it. Maybe not as much as my younger self did but it's still great.
I really wish you could erase your memory of a book because I saw all the twists and turns coming as I've already read it and it did take away from the experience but it is still so good I'm giving it 4 stars this re read! ( )
  Jessica_Scott | Apr 21, 2021 |
Other than the annoying yet predictable twist in the denoument, a fun, can't-put-it-down book. I stayed up much too late reading it. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,157,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible