Twilight (2005)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (1)

53,843221817 (3.72)2 / 804
When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    The Society of S: A Novel by Susan Hubbard (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: A well-written, erudite novel about vampire society amongst humans; a novel about family all told from 13 year old Ariella, who will look 13 forever.
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)

English (2,110)  Spanish (21)  German (10)  French (10)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (7)  Italian (7)  Swedish (6)  Danish (5)  Norwegian (4)  Lithuanian (4)  Portuguese (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Latvian (1)  Japanese (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hindi (1)  All languages (2,206)
Was good for what it was. ( )
  ELockett | Sep 26, 2022 |
I initially read this as a teenager, and decided that after over 10 years since my last read, I should see how it holds up.

17-year old Bella is the shy, new girl. Her primary hobby appears to be reading, and she particularly likes a lot of classic literature. She is an "old soul" because of how she was raised, constantly taking care of her mother. Bella is overall a realistic character - she has some sarcasm, she has her friends and hobbies, and she doesn't think much of herself. It is easy to see how a bookish girl can get into Bella's story.

The romance between Edward and Bella is interesting. There are, of course, many problematic aspects, especially at the beginning when Edward is bouncing between "you should stay away from me" and "let me drive you to Seattle", which is an absolute whiplash for Bella. The problematic aspects do not go unchallenged however, and Bella rightly points them out.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this as an adult. There was a good combination of humour with Bella's sarcasm, the barrage of boys asking her out, and Charlie; as well as good suspense for the climax. It is not necessarily the "healthiest" romance novel, but the unhealthy aspects do not go unchallenged in the work, making it an interesting contribution to vampire/human romantic fiction.

I would recommend this for young adult readers who enjoy urban fantasy, fiction, and romance. Adults may enjoy reading this alongside their teenager and discussing the book - it can be a good bonding opportunity. ( )
  WaldensLibrary | Sep 6, 2022 |
A estudante Bella Swan conhece Edward Cullen, um belo mas misterioso adolescente. Edward é um vampiro, cuja família não bebe sangue, e Bella, longe de ficar assustada, se envolve em um romance perigoso com sua alma gêmea imortal.
  bibliotecapresmil | Sep 5, 2022 |
This is a good book to read out loud, which I do for Von. ( )
  MakebaT | Sep 3, 2022 |
For years I didn't even think of ever reading this book, that's how convinced I was of how this must be the worst novel anyone has ever written on this planet. Until four days ago I had marked it on Goodreads on my "to go a long way round it" shelf. And now that I have finally read it as a result of some weird mood I must have been in ... I can confirm that it isn't quite as bad as a lot of people proclaim it to be. Sure, a lot of things can be found in this book which are simply wrong; it is full of plot holes and inconsistencies, but it is addictive and keeps you hooked if you are in the mood for a fast-paced story to which it is easy to get attached. I was so convinced I would read Twilight only so that I could hate it and tear it apart in a one-star review that I didn't expect of how it would actually surprise me. That it would be entertaining. Gripping. That I would not have to force myself to reading it, but rather had to force myself to put it down.

"There are a few flaws with that story."
Bella Swan might have talked about a different topic, but she definitely knew how to perfectly summarize the book Stephenie Meyer wrote about her. Yes, that book which teens have cried about, that book about sparkling vampires and teenie-weenie romance stuff. From a literary point of view, this book is pretty bad. It was easy to find moments in which you wanted to get into a serious conversation with Stephenie Meyer about whether she thinks that the way her characters behave is really okay. (I mean, watching someone sleep without them knowing - nobody can tell me that's normal.)

Nevertheless, I will not spend any money on the cash cow Meyer turned her series into, yet I have to confess that Twilight made me feel like a lot of the hate surrounding this novel is directed towards 15-year-old fangirls screaming their mind to the heavens by the mere thought of Edward Cullen. Don't get me wrong, from an objective point of view, Twilight still deserves quite a huge number of 1-star ratings, and I would have been one of those people who hated it if I had expected to love it and be completely enthralled by a fascinating plot and heart-breaking romance. That was not the case, obviously. My first introduction to the series was back in eighth school class, when in our German classes each of us had to choose a book of our liking to present to the rest of the students. One girl chose to read from a passage of Twilight, a girl who fit perfectly into the definition of the term fangirl. I never understood the hype, and still can't see why exactly Edward Cullen is so well-beloved. Would he have turned into such a famous character if Robert Pattinson hadn't portrayed him in the movie adaption? (Which, by the way, made me appreciate the book even more because of the movie's awfulness.)

To mention some more positive aspects about Twilight: It introduces teenagers to literature, and while it would of course be more appreciable if teenagers were reading the great classics, at least it is better than reading nothing at all. With reading being regarded more and more as something old-fashioned and obsolete among teenagers, this can never be seen as a bad thing. Before I discovered classics and literary fiction, YA fantasy has always been some kind of comfort zone, something you can identify with as a teenager. The question is, should teenagers even identify with characters like they are portrayed in Twilight? The shy and emotionally acting Bella; the super-attractive and hey-let's-watch-girls-while-they-are-sleeping Edward - it's questionable if they are indeed characters to look up to. It's also questionable if Stephenie Meyer is a great writer (I don't think so; at some points her writing made me cringe), but millions of fans will probably tend to disagree with me. Twilight is not for everyone and it has definitely divided its readers, but I have personally read books which were far worse than this. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
ISBN 0316015849 is not a video recording.
ISBN 031601584 is the novel.
ISBN 1904233651 is the novel.

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316015849, 0316160172, 0316038377, 0316038385, 0316033413

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,097,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible