Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Twilight (2005)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight (1)

47,357208515 (3.8)2 / 773
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)

English (1,992)  Spanish (21)  German (11)  French (9)  Finnish (8)  Dutch (8)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Lithuanian (4)  Norwegian (4)  Danish (4)  Portuguese (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Japanese (1)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (2,085)
Showing 1-5 of 1992 (next | show all)
The summary of this book is that a seventeen year old girl named Isabella Swan moves to Forks. While she is in Phoenix she has to go to a new school and meet new friends. She makes many friends very quickly and gets attention from boy. He sits right next to her in science and was acting really weird and no one new why. The next few days he is gone and while he is gone Bella gets curious but just continues getting used to living in Forks. Back a her house her dad does not really make dinner or goes shopping so Bella takes the responsibility and does exactly that. Edward, the strange boy, finally comes back and is friendly to Bella. She thinks it is kinda weird she goes on with it.Bella at the end of the day heads to her car and almost get hit but out of nowhere Edward comes and saves her. Now she was really curious about him. Towards the middle of the story Edward reveals that he is a vampire. She is shocked but they end up falling in love. In the beginning an unknown narrator is speaking saying she is about to die which we find out is Bella.
My opinion on this book is that it is straight to the point in the beginning. It is very descriptive and is very unpredictable. It is also very romantic which is always fun to read. It gets very deep and mysterious which keeps me interested. It kind of goes off to different parts and topics sometimes so it can be a little hard to focus on the main part of the story. But most of the little side details are important to the story. This story was a mix of emotions. At some times I would laugh but the next I was be sad. It was a fun story to read but very long. ( )
  kimberl.b4 | Oct 29, 2018 |
Elizabeth MADE me take this home with me yesterday, and I just read it in one sitting. DAMN HER!

CRACK, I tell you! It's CRACK! ( )
  kateschmidt | Oct 20, 2018 |
series
  brendanus | Oct 19, 2018 |
Yeah, I did it. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
I read this book during a vacation to the Olympic Peninsula, where the book is set. I thought it would complement my vacation to read a book that's set in the same place. What I didn't know is that it would be so addictive that I almost enjoyed it more than the vacation! Yeah, the hikes through Olympic National Park and the beaches of La Push were beautiful, but I really looked forward to curling up with this book at the end of the day to see what was happening with Bella and Edward. At least I was able to interpret the glut of Twilight references when we drove through Forks (two storefronts called Dazzled by Twilight, a banner proclaiming Stephenie Meyer day, hotel marquis claiming Edward Cullen did not sleep here, vampire dolls at the Thriftway, and last but not least, a homemade sign advertising Twilight Firewood). ( )
  Silvia_rubicula | Oct 8, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 1992 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
ISBN 0316015849 is not a video recording.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

In the first book of the Twilight Saga, internationally bestselling author Stephenie Meyer introduces Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, a pair of star-crossed lovers whose forbidden relationship ripens against the backdrop of small-town suspicion and a mysterious coven of vampires. This is a love story with bite.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316015849, Paperback)

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Stephenie Meyer

Q: Were you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Angel? What are you watching now that those shows are off the air?
A: I have never seen an entire episode of Buffy or Angel. While I was writing Twilight, I let my older sister read along chapter by chapter. She's a huge Buffy fan and she kept trying to get me to watch, but I was afraid it would mess up my vision of the vampire world so I never did.

I don't have a ton of time for TV, and my kids get rowdy when I have on "mommy shows," but I do have a secret fondness for reality shows (the good ones, at least in my opinion). I always TiVo Survivor, The Amazing Race, and America's Next Top Model.

Q: What inspired you to write Twilight? Is this the beginning of a series? Why write for teens?
A: Twilight was inspired by a very vivid dream, which is fairly faithfully transcribed as chapter thirteen of the book. There are sequels on the way--I'm hard at work editing book two (tentatively titled New Moon) right now, and book three is waiting in line for its turn.
I didn't mean to write for teens--I didn't mean to write for anyone but myself, so I had an audience of one twenty-nine year old (and later one thirty-one year old when my sister started reading). I think the reason that I ended up with a book for teens is because high school is such a compelling time period--it gives you some of your worst scars and some of your most exhilarating memories. It's a fascinating place: old enough to feel truly adult, old enough to make decisions that affect the rest of your life, old enough to fall in love, yet, at the same time too young (in most cases) to be free to make a lot of those decisions without someone else's approval. There's a lot of scope for a novel in that.

Q: What is your favorite vampire story? Fave vampire movie?
A: I guess my favorite vampire story would be The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice, simply because it's one of the only ones I've ever read. I keep meaning to pick up Bram Stoker's Dracula, because I get asked this question so often and I should probably start with the classics, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, I'm afraid to read other vampire books now, for fear of finding things either too similar, or too different from my own vampire world.

Ack! I can't even answer the movie question. I can't remember ever seeing a single vampire movie, outside of clips from Bela Lugosi movies on TV. I don't like true horror movies--my favorite scary movies are all Hitchcock's.

Q: What other young adult authors do you read?
A: My favorite young adult author is L.M. Montgomery I also enjoy J.K. Rowling (but who doesn't?), and Ann Brashares. As a teen, I skipped straight to adult books (lots of sci-fi and Jane Austen), so I'm rediscovering the world of teen literature now.

Stephenie Meyer's List of Books You Should Read

Anne of Green Gables

Romeo and Juliet

Dragonflight
To Kill a Mockingbird

The Princess Bride

See more recommendations from Stephenie Meyer

Q&A with Stephanie Meyer

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The book with the most significant impact on my life is The Book of Mormon. The book with the most significant impact on my life as a writer is probably Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card, with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier coming in as a close second.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The CD is easy: Absolution by Muse, hands down. It's harder to give myself just one movie, but the one I watch most frequently is Sense and Sensibility--the one with the screenplay by Emma Thompson. One book is impossible. I'd have to have Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't live without something by Orson Scott Card and a nice, thick Maeve Binchy, too.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: My lies are all very, very boring: "No, you really look great in hot pink!" "My children only watch one hour of TV a day." "I didn't eat the last Swiss Cake Roll--it must have been one of the kids." That's the best I've got.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: It's late at night and the house is silent, but I'm still (miraculously) full of energy. I have my headphones in and I'm listened to a mix of Muse, Coldplay, Travis, My Chemical Romance, and The All-American Rejects. Beside me is a fabulous, and yet mysteriously low in calorie, cheesecake....

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: I'd like it to say that I really tried at the important things. I was never perfect at any of them, but I honestly tried to be a great mom, a loving wife, a good daughter, and a true friend. Under that, I'd want a list of my favorite Simpsons quotes.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: I'd love to have a chance to talk to Orson Scott Card--I have a million questions for him. Mostly things like, "How do you come up with this stuff?!" But, if he wasn't available, I'd settle for Matthew Bellamy (lead singer of Muse).

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: I'd want something offensive, rather than defensive. Like shooting fireballs from my hands. That way, you're really open to going either way--hero or villain. I like to have choices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:07 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,185,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible