dismiss

Twilight (2005)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (1)

49,555212916 (3.77)2 / 785
When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.
Recently added byLauraMichelle606, jobrenae, ymburns, SidneyBlack, CATALIO43, private library, Rajdeep.Singh, hidalgoe
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (xcentaur)
    xcentaur: Now that you've had the starters, lets move on to better vampire lit ...
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (Caramellunacy, allisongryski, jfoster_sf, rose_81, Konran)
    Caramellunacy: The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance that deals with being different and misunderstood, loneliness, grief and death - including a spree of murders. There's a definite poignancy to the relationship between Zoe and Simon that makes this well worth reading for fans of vampire lit.… (more)
    jfoster_sf: A classic vampire novel that also deals with love, loss, death, etc.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, allisongryski, goodiegoodie, Konran)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (_Zoe_, MyriadBooks)
    The Awakening by L. J. Smith (nicoleryan)
    nicoleryan: The Vampire Diaries has more to do with just vampires. Theres witches, wolves, and even underground demons....
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Laelatb, samkablam7, SunnySD)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (VictoriaPL)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159, zippa101, Cpassmore)
    tyuiop159: They both have the same Romeo and Juliet structure.
    zippa101: It really filled that gap that twilight made.
    Vampire Academy Box Set 1-6 by Richelle Mead (Aleana)
    Betrayed by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (FFortuna)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (jennyellen22)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Matia414, ldelprete)
    ldelprete: this is a story in which you can really get attached to the characters. If you like to root for the underdog in stories, like jacob in twilight, then you will enjoy this series where the entire country is an underdog.
    Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (stephxsu)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (HollyMS)
    Need by Carrie Jones (knfwalker, FFortuna, deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: YA novel with the same feel as Twilight, only possibly better!
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (jbarry)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)

English (2,034)  Spanish (21)  German (10)  French (9)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (7)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Lithuanian (4)  Norwegian (4)  Danish (4)  Portuguese (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Japanese (1)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (2,125)
Showing 1-5 of 2034 (next | show all)
If you peruse the lists here on Goodreads of the worst and best books of all time, you'll probably notice something they all have in common: Twilight tends to be near the top of all of them. So is this really possible? Has Stephanie Meyer somehow written a book that transcends the usual Newtonian laws of literature; a book that exists in a quantum mechanical state of being both outstandingly good and outlandishly bad simultaneously, and that collapses to one of these two states with a predetermined probability once some sentient observer — or an over excitable teenage girl — opens the book?

Predictably the answer is no. The notion that this book is the best one ever is clearly ridiculous. I can just about understand it being some people's favourite book, but they'd have to be a tad over zealous to believe that no other book could ever surpass it. And on the other side of things I get the feeling that many of the people who think this is the worst book ever do so mainly because of all the people who think it's the best.

Certainly the book has many faults, there are myriad reviews here on Goodreads that sum them up very nicely, as does Matthew Inman's rant at The Oatmeal. Succinctly put the book fails miserably as a romance story. Edward likes Bella because she's hot and smells like flowers. Bella likes Edwards because he's a perfect pale Adonis and he has nice breath. (Incidentally, although Meyer highlights how well read Bella is, the character's narration seems to struggle with vocabulary when it comes to Edward, everything about him is "perfect" and all his mood swings make him look "furious".) Later, once she's figured out he's a vampire, Bella seems to like him all the more because he represents the only possible cure for her painfully low self esteem. We've all seen those adverts for cosmetics or even cosmetic surgery: "Buy our product/Get surgery and change! Because you're not good enough the way you are!" Well becoming a vampire strikes young Bella as the cure for all that she perceives is rubbish about herself. Edward's mumbled complaints that maybe she's fine the way she is are shot down in flames.

But once the awkward and painful love story is out of the way and the two characters have convinced themselves they're in love, the vampire story gets under way. This, the final quarter of the book, is far more enjoyable than the preceding three hundred pages. Admittedly it still pales in comparison to, say, [b:Dracula|9683598|Dracula|Bram Stoker|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1289593001s/9683598.jpg|3165724], but then Stoker's masterpiece is one of my favourite books so this one was always going to struggle to compare.

I won't be reading the rest of the series, methinks. Some of the Cullen family seemed interesting enough to pique my interest, but I'm not sure I could stomach another few hundred pages of Bella or Edward. Although I am intrigued how Bella deals with the revelation about the Blacks being werewolves. The only time I laughed out loud in this book was when Jacob Black tells Bella that — if you believe this sort of thing — the native Americans in the area are werewolves and the Cullens are vampires, to which Bella's private thoughts are "Crikey, the Cullens are vampires!"

I mostly read the book so that if conversation ever turned to this book again I could, finally, put forth an informed opinion on it. (I have more respect for people who've read this book and defend it to the death than those who pour scorn on it then, when asked if they've read it, respond with "Of course not!") And now I have. So there. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
god where to s t a r t

ok first things first, this book isn't as bad as people claim it is. is it the best book? no. is it a cheesy paranormal romance book? yeah, and just reading it as that, it's basically up to par to what i'd expect from that kind of book

honestly? i enjoyed the first maybe 1/3 of the book. i really actually enjoyed it pre relationship. i thought edward was a massive jerk, but bella had a pretty antagonistic personality that i thought was fun. but not gonna lie, once they started dating they were unbearable

i actually thought some of the background characters were pretty interesting. jasper, for one, was WAY more interesting to me than edward. and alice and bella could totally have gotten together if stephenie meyer weren't a coward (i'm kidding)

this book was fun until it was a drag, the pacing was rough, sometimes the dialogue was super weird, and god every time bella called edward an angel i rolled my eyes.

i miss bella constantly thinking about trashing edward's car with her truck ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |
I, too, am one of the quizzical masses to read this to see what all the fuss is about. As per usual, the fuss is about absolutely nothing. The characters are predictable, the plot is predictable, the prose is quick but as lifeless as the vamps it adulates.

Not bad, but not good, and ultimately forgettable. ( )
  cygnoir | Jun 27, 2020 |
I didn't expect to like this book. I only read it because I found myself enjoying the movie, despite my negative expectations, and I ended up having the same reaction to the book.

Meyer is not an elegant writer, and her main character is a blatant Mary Sue. However, I found "Twilight" to be a real page-turner, which appealed greatly to the hopeless romantic in me.

Is it great fiction? No, of course not. Did I enjoy it anyway? Oh yes :) ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Showing 1-5 of 2034 (next | show all)
"Meyer's prose seldom rises above the serviceable, and the plotting is leaden" [....] "It's like reading a young teenage girl's blog"
added by GYKM | editWashington Post, Elizabeth Hand (May 26, 2010)

Astonishing, mainly for the ineptitude of her prose. Teen vampire schlock that has the nation’s youth in thrall.
added by GYKM | editDaily Telegraph, Brian MacArthur (Nov 13, 2009)

[L]et me say to you as a meat-eating, Entourage-watching, sports-loving (OK, I really don't love sports, or actually understand sports) — heterosexual man who can't sit through a single show on Lifetime television, let me loudly proclaim: I, Brad Meltzer, love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

I confess, I have joined the legions of the bitten and smitten.

The plot may sound rather comic and camp, but Meyer chooses to play it straight and serious. Vampires or not, what this novel is really about is a fatal attraction to someone or something dangerously different from yourself. The trajectory of the story is such that Bella's behavior and choices grow increasingly more disturbing, with irrevocable, self-destructive consequences.

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twilight ( [2008]IMDb)
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. -- Genesis 2:17
For my big sister, Emily,
without whose enthusiasm this story might still be unfinished.
I'd never given much thought to how I would die—though I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
Breathe Bella.
You're exactly my brand of heroin.
It's twilight. It's the safest time of the day for us. The easiest part. But also the saddest, in a way. The end of another day, the return of the night.
ISBN 0316015849 is not a video recording.

I'd never given much thought to how I would die—I'd had reason enough in the last few months—but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.... Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of something else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

In the first book of the Twilight Saga, internationally bestselling author Stephenie Meyer introduces Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, a pair of star-crossed lovers whose forbidden relationship ripens against the backdrop of small-town suspicion and a mysterious coven of vampires. This is a love story with bite.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,941,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible