City of Glass (2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (3), The Shadowhunter Chronicles (9)

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)

English (366)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (371)
I would've given 5 but Clary annoyed me too much. ( )
  blithelii_ | May 29, 2021 |
I don't get this story, man, at least in this adaption. Too much is happening. And Simon needs to sit down for assuming Clary's his girl and throwing a fit when things don't go his way. You know this girl wants her doggone brother, and, yes, I hate this book for making me acknowledge that.

I think there's a lot lost here that's probably found in the novels. ( )
  DestDest | May 14, 2021 |
Hmm, what to say. I truly had several "what the hell just happened?" moments throughout this particular installment of the series, to be sure.

I read a few other reviews that were bothered by the fact that the author was seemingly playing out an "incestuous" relationship, but I wonder if they read through to the end and realized that it actually had a purpose. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of playing out that angle, but my gut told me to stick it out and it would be worth it. It was.

I also know that in blogger circles, this author is one that has a bit of a reputation, and while I am aware of that, I chose to ignore it for the time being. I read and reviewed the stories on their own merit, and not what others thought.

I loved the world building. In some cases, it may have seemed a bit like an info dump, but I think it was necessary. At 541 pages already, to gradually describe some things in the story, this would have been much, much longer, which would have seemed tedious.

I think that the characters progressed along nicely, and that the events that took place, while unpleasant, were necessary to the story line.

Overall, so far I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and cannot wait to read the next installment. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Apr 23, 2021 |
This was a fabulous end to the series. It had plenty of suspense and fun, and ended in a completely logical way. I am very, very happy with it, and just sad that it's over. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |

Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, Mikesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long is the way
And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light.
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,500,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible