dismiss

Interview with the Vampire

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (1)

A vampire recounts his tragic two-century life, marked by an endless thirst for human blood.
Recently added byHyms, Arina40, private library, Scott777, anka1610, ibazel, Pages_Aplenty, FidsLady
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (becca58203, Morteana)
    Agyar by Steven Brust (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: The diary of a vampire. A bit more modern than Rice's tale.
    The Passion by Donna Ball (VictoriaPL)
    Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (VictoriaPL)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (letsdisco2373)
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)
1970s (82)
Kayla (11)

English (271)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (280)
Interesting if semi-exploitative meditation on vampiric immortality. Hard to disentangle the narrator from the author, certainly the narrator is euro centric and elitist which limits and hampers the discussions on morality. Still interesting perspective on the emotional elements of vampires. ( )
  TegarSault | Jul 16, 2020 |
Who doesn't like Anne Rice, but out of all her books, I really think Interview With A Vampire is definitely one of her best. The story is rich with explicit descriptions, complex characters, and stunning settings. We've all seen the movie, which was excellent by the way, but the book takes you deeper inside Louie's sad and guilt-ridden journey from human to a vampire in a way that is entertaining, thought-provoking, and heartbreaking. Check it out! ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Jun 28, 2020 |
I re-read this thinking that surely I would be able to donate my Anne Rice books now that I am no longer a goth-leaning teenager. I actually really liked it, though! It's one of those books where you're not desperate to get back to it when you're not reading it, but when you are reading it, you find yourself completely immersed in the text.

Look, Louis is still the king of whining, and Claudia, Armand and Lestat are clearly the more interesting characters, but I think as an adult I could appreciate more the fact that this book about vampires is actually really about the nature of humanity.

I also really appreciated how damn gay the book is. Just sayin' ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Seriously one of the worst books i have ever had the misfortune to pick up. i really do not understand why Rice is such a success. she can write - in the sense of transferring words onto the page - but in the sense of being able to create a story, build characters or even set a decent scene, she fails miserably.

By all accounts, she just gets worse after this! ( )
  Pezski | Jun 21, 2020 |
3.75 stars.

Took me several tries to get into this book, but once I became familiar with Rice's writing, I couldn't put it down. Wish dates had been included instead of inferred. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
The author's seriousness is honest, I think, but misplaced; perhaps a bit more Grand Guignol elegance was called for father than incessant philosophizing. Immersed in the book's fetid, morbid atmosphere - like being in a hothouse full of decaying funeral lilies - one longs to get out in the garden.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Stan Rice, Carole Malkin,
and Alice O'Brien Borchardt
"I see..." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
I never knew what life was until it ran in a red gush over my lips, my hands!
This is for the book by Anne Rice.  Do not combine with graphic novels.

This is the book that started it all. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead.
Vampires sit and mope.
Like popular Twilight books.
But with denser prose.

(Carnophile)

4 1994

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,121,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible