Interview with the Vampire

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (1)

A vampire recounts his tragic two-century life, marked by an endless thirst for human blood.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (becca58203, Morteana)
    Agyar by Steven Brust (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: The diary of a vampire. A bit more modern than Rice's tale.
    The Passion by Donna Ball (VictoriaPL)
    Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (VictoriaPL)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (letsdisco2373)
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)
1970s (75)
Kayla (11)

English (294)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (304)
It may be the most uneven reading experience of my life, as at one point the action rises with every page and the dialogue it's philosophically intriguing, but then all this is overtaken by such a sluggish pace that leaves you with your eyes almost closed. ( )
  Gevacu11 | Jul 20, 2022 |
You can't underestimate the influence of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and Interview with the Vampire, the first of the trio of novels, kicked it all off in the mid-70s. Its vampire spawn include, perhaps, the Broadway play Dracula, and later, countless teen vampire shows on television, not to mention other monstrous offspring cousins like Zombies. Before Rice the vampire was a caricature of a monster: evil, bloodthirsty, scary, demonic, the centerpiece of a typical horror movie. Rice flipped the formula and created a much more complex, dare I say human, protagonist. Sure Louis, the main character, and his companions Lestat, Claudia, and later Armand, are blood-thirsty and murderous. And most of Louis's fellow vampires are much less conflicted than he is. But they all, to one extent or another, retain some vestige of their former humanity, even if it a purely aesthetic attachment. Louis, on the other hand, is truly tortured by questions of morality, good, and evil. Beyond the philosophizing, the book has a lot of entertainment value. Rice was a native of New Orleans and has a good feel for bringing an earlier century alive in Gothic overtones. Most of the time her prose is pretty straight forward but every now and then it is woozy and poetic, as if she has ingested some opium and let her mind and pen wander freely taking the reader along for the ride. It's fun fiction, but has its serious side. While I will take a break for a while, I am sure Chronicle Two, The Vampire Lestat, awaits me soon. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jun 29, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 28, 2022 |
I picked this book up in New Orleans, and was not dissatisfied with its portrayal of the city.

The subject's story moves enticingly forward, his language paints colorful pictures and the settings are darkly vivacious! With that said, I'm struggling to find verisimilitude in the power dynamics between the narrator and his interviewer, which is a frequent interruption. ( )
  quavmo | Jun 26, 2022 |
This book is something that I actually found myself really enjoying. I truly didn't think that I was going to like this as much as I did. The story was captivating to the point where I couldn't put this book down. I just plowed right through it. Some elements threw me for a loop, but I just think that some elements didn't really age that well. But besides that, I liked the characters and the story even though at some points I had no clue what was going on. I will pick up more from Anne Rice and her vampire series. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
The author's seriousness is honest, I think, but misplaced; perhaps a bit more Grand Guignol elegance was called for father than incessant philosophizing. Immersed in the book's fetid, morbid atmosphere - like being in a hothouse full of decaying funeral lilies - one longs to get out in the garden.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Stan Rice, Carole Malkin,
and Alice O'Brien Borchardt
"I see..." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
I never knew what life was until it ran in a red gush over my lips, my hands!
This is for the book by Anne Rice.  Do not combine with graphic novels.

The hypnotic, deeply seductive novels of Anne Rice have captivated millions of fans around the world. It all began a quarter of a century ago with Interview with the Vampire. Now, in one chilling volume, here are the first three classic novels of The Vampire Chronicles.

INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE
Witness the confessions of a vampire. A novel of mesmerizing beauty and astonishing force, it is a story of danger and flight, love and loss, suspense and resolution, and the extraordinary power of the senses.

THE VAMPIRE LESTAT
Once an aristocrat from pre-revolutionary France, now a rock star in the decadent 1980s, Lestat rushes through the centuries seeking to fathom the mystery of his existence. His is a mesmerizing story–passionate and thrilling.

QUEEN OF THE DAMNED
Akasha, the queen of the damned, has risen from a six-thousand-year sleep to let loose the powers of the night. She has a marvellously devious plan to "save" mankind - in this vivid novel of the erotic, electrifying world of the undead.

See also the Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervie...
Vampires sit and mope.
Like popular Twilight books.
But with denser prose.

(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,818,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible