The Silver Kiss

by Annette Curtis Klause

A mysterious teenage boy harboring a dark secret helps Zoe come to terms with her mother's terminal illness.
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Another vampire story with complicated, interesting characters and no simplistic painting of the vampire as a tragic romantic hero.
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (Konran)
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (infiniteletters)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (kaledrina)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (rose_81)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

English (64)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (67)
3-1/2 stars
This one is a heartbreaking story about growing up, love, death and loss of innocence. Nicely handled and it left me in tears. I usually avoid coming of age stories, but after Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, I needed a good contrasting story which completely lacked melodrama. What a relief.
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
The Silver Kiss is Most Excellent! To me, this is almost the perfect vampire romance/non-romance. More importantly, it is about facing death, facing life, facing evil. It is about choosing life.

Zoe is perhaps too wise for her years, but I think that comes when loving with a family member who is suffering and facing death. Perhaps that is what made it resonate with me in a year when the news is filled with illness, suffering, and death.

Simon is a vampire who is over 300-years old. Simon wants revenge on a vampire who killed his mother and continues to delight in killing others. When he was turned, he was probably an appropriate age to court Zoe.

I liked this book because Simon knows that his life is too dark to ask anyone, even Zoe, to share it. And Zoe learns and grows throughout the book. And the ending ... well, I leave it to you to discover.

While it was written for young adults, I highly recommend it for anyone who likes a touch of horror in their vampire novel. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 21, 2021 |
I read this story YEARS ago. I remember staying up all night to finish it at the age of 12 or 13. I remember my mother coming in the kitchen seeing me crying my eyes out. You never forget a book that made you cry. I gave this book four stars because although it was good, I felt like there needed to be more of a balance. I needed more light to peek out through all that darkness - that's mainly a style choice. ( )
  Keri84 | Nov 3, 2020 |
I read this book in middle school. Annette Curtis Krause and Amelia Atwater-Rhodes catapulted my reading into adventures that I will never forget.

16 year old Zoey is trying to cope with the grief of losing her mother to cancer. Simon is a vampire seeking revenge for the death of his mother 3 centuries prior. They team up to get Simon's revenge. Midnight rendezvous, fighting, grief, isolation, love. This beautiful story unfolds way too shortly making you hope another 200 pages are just going to magically appear. ( )
  Jychelle88 | Oct 16, 2017 |
I love vampire books. I don't know why I never read this one sooner. I"m glad I bought the copy that has the two short stories added. I like that the vampire Simon had a soft spot for cats.

I liked this book a lot. I couldn't put it down. I like that Simon is like the old vampires. He doesn't sparkle. He's not moody and depressing. I fell in love with him. I would love to meet Simon.

The story makes me sad. It had a happy-sad ending. If that makes sense. But I wished it had an all happy ending.

I feel bad for Zoe, although I wasn't really attached to her as much, but her life definitely sucked. Losing a best friend, her mother dying and her father isn't talking to her. Sucks a nut.

I want to read more about Simon and his life before he met Zoe. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Larry Callen, who talked me into writing a novel; and to the Tuesday Night Writing Group, who kept me going- you know who you are.
The house was empty.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,408,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible