dismiss

Dracula (1897)

by Bram Stoker

26,45051778 (3.96)4 / 1672
Having deduced the double identity of Count Dracula, a wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.
    Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (HollyMS, HollyMS)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula: Biography of Vlad the Impaler by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

Europe (248)
1890s (41)

English (483)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  German (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Slovak (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (513)
So there's a reason why Dracula is a classic horror story. Stoker created the vampire that is still a thing in 2018. Why do writers come back again and again to the tale of a creature that was all about murder and mayhem?I tend to love Stoker's look at Dracula and vampires the most. I always side eyed writers that made vampires poor tortured and sad and alone. Stoker's first look at Count Dracula shows us a cunning character who is focused on wrecking Johnathan Harker's life and those connected to him.

"Dracula" focuses on Count Dracula who travels from Transylvania to England (London specifically) in order to spread more vampires. Fighting against him is Johnathan Harker, his new wife, Mina along with friends of the couple (Doctor John Seward, Quincey Morris, and Arthur Holmwood). The latter group also comes across a vampire slayer (whatever, that is what I am calling him) Abraham Van Helsing.

I think the saddest character in this is Lucy. She's best friends with Mina and has attracted many marriage proposals. When she finally agrees to marry Arthur, it would be seem that her life is perfect. However, she seems to be growing weaker and weaker and is sleepwalking. John calls in Van Helsing who suspects what is going on, but doesn't inform all parties. The end of Lucy always made me feel bad.

We also have the character of Renfield who is creepy as all get out. Reading about him collecting bugs, spiders, sparrows, and wanting a kitten or cat and finding out what he was eating and feeding to other animals was a bit much for me.

The book cuts things up by showing us the journal or diary entries from many of the characters. I can't really argue against this style of story-telling. It allows us into the characters heads. I do wish at times that we could have gotten more dialogue between characters though. Sometimes it just reads as flat sometimes. The flow was up and down. I think switching between characters/entries takes you out of the story at times.

I do wish that more movies/tv shows had been more faithful with the original work since you do get a sense of the camaraderie that has developed by all parties in order to stop Dracula especially when he ends up cursing Mina with vampirism.

The ending shows what happens after they all confronted Dracula which I liked.
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
i loved this WAY more than i thought i would. definitely a slow burn that you have to force yourself through at times, but worth it. mina harker is braver than every man in this novel and i'm glad they all seem to know it ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |
A garlic stuffed mouth
major (tasty) overkill
the stake seems enough. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Ugh, why have I never read this before now? It couldn't be more up my alley if it were written just for me. Victorian writing, horror genre and plenty of perfectly noble and likeable characters to enjoy. I love the very-Gothic use of multiple accounts to tell the story and the language is just wonderful. This is one of those books that I enjoyed far too much to be able to review in any kind of coherent fashion. Suffice to say, it's now very firmly placed in my list of favourite books of all time. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This novel marks my very first experience with the horror genre. I was initially impressed. Stoker shows phenomenal craftmanship, particularly in terms of suspense, foreshadowing, and a level of anticipation that is surprisingly sophisticated. However, I found that the narrative slowed tremendously toward the halfway mark and the dialogue was no longer intriguing, but dramatically fatalistic and tiresome. That being said, I think it will eventually undergo a second reading. ( )
  TheaJean | Jun 2, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue'.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgment, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgment or adaptation.

6305078181 is for the 1979 movie directed by John Badham.

Abridged.

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included.

Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)
Dracula could teach
Edward not to sparkle so.
He hates those books too.
(hillaryrose7)

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

Current discussions

Dracula in Gothic Literature

4 1950

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832521, 1907832653

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,708,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible