Dracula (1897)

by Bram Stoker

27,77152879 (3.95)4 / 1691
Having deduced the double identity of Count Dracula, a wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (HollyMS, HollyMS)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula: A Biography of Vlad the Impaler, 1431-1476 by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

1890s (20)
Europe (248)

English (496)  Spanish (10)  German (5)  French (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Slovak (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (527)
If I were to rate this purely on plot alone, I would probably give it more stars. There were certain parts that were extremely difficult to get through, and most of the reason for that is because of the era that it was written in. I liked that it was written through multiple people's points of view as a diary style, and I definitely liked reading through certain character's points of view better than others. I also really liked that the gentlemen thought so highly of Mina Harker because they were apparently under the impression that woman were not able to handle difficult subjects nor were able to think up plans or think for themselves. Mina Harker surprised them and Dr. John Seward was always quick to write that he and Dr. Van Helsing thought she had a man's brain. It was refreshing to hear of a woman from the time period who was not just a needy thoughtless twit who waited for a man to come into her life. There were some parts that were difficult to understand what they were trying to say about situations with "child brains" versus "adult brains", but other than that, I enjoyed reading Dracula even though it took me such a long time to get through it. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Não lido.
  claramenezes | Feb 14, 2021 |
Beautiful Gothic Horror Deserving of Its Reputation

I usually try to write reviews without spoilers but hey, this is Dracula. What can I say about this classic that hasn't already been said? Well I can tell you of my unique experience reading it. I have always loved Dracula, but as I populated my list of "read" books here on Goodreads, I realized that I could not say with total confidence that I had ever read the entire novel (which is my criteria for going on that list). Being so near Halloween and all, I figured this was a great time to finally take this classic in.

Normally the first time I read an author it takes me a while to learn his/her style and to get in sync with the writing. I am a Kindle Paperwhite reader primarily, and usually by the last 20% or so of a book I am flying. However, in Dracula, I was enthralled after page one by Stoker's beautiful prose which really reads more like poetry. For me, this one was really more about the journey than the destination.

Even though I thought I knew the story of Dracula from all the movies and tv shows I have seen over my lifetime, there were a few surprises that I never knew about until this reading. (Here is where the spoilers come in). First I need to discuss just how perfectly the Bloofa Lady story was done. We learn of the Bloofa Lady through newspaper clippings. Apparently children have been disappearing in the community and although they have eventually turned up, it is a mystery as to why they go missing in the first place. The children all tell a vague story of the Bloofa Lady who comes to them in the night and whispers to them so sweetly that they follow her into the dark. Then things get fuzzy and they remember no more until they are found (usually the next day) weak and pale. They all have small scratches on their necks as if made by a cat or small dog. Of course the astute reader will have noticed the dates of the clippings which begin shortly after the funeral of Miss Lucy. Stoker doesn't tell us right out that it is her, but instead lets us put the story together for ourselves. In the end our heroes stake out her tomb and sure enough, one morning in the misty hour before sunrise, a figure in white appears in the fog, leading a small boy by the hand. It is Lucy in her death shroud and she takes the child up and moves to feed on his blood. Our heroes intervene and I will let you read this part for yourself. This should be enough, however, to convey how freaking creepy this part of the story is. How have I missed the Bloofa Lady all this time? I think she could carry her own movie single handedly.

Another interesting tidbit I discovered in Dracula (again spoilers), was that Renfield did not, in fact, go to Transylvania before Jonathan. I always thought he was the first accountant that went to help Dracula before Jonathan had been sent, but this storyline apparently originated in the early Dracula films, not from the book. In the book Renfield is simply a "patient" in an lunatic asylum. Stoker infers that because Renfield is insane, he is affected by the Count's powers, just as animals (the children of the night) are. Renfield is drawn to Dracula in the same way wolves and bats and rats are commanded by him. Renfield's tale is a tragic one and as his odd behaviors increase, the sense of foreboding does as well.

I did feel at times that perhaps Van Helsing could have just told everyone what his suspicions were instead of being so secretive. But, maybe they all would have thought him crazy and his cause would have been lost. If the story happened today, I am sure it would be close to impossible for anyone to take him seriously. Also his manner of speech was jumbled and difficult to follow, and many times I had to re-read what he said to make sure I was understanding. This made the reading a bit slower process than normal but, honestly, I didn't mind. Regardless, both these elements were probably realistic, and they did help to build the suspense. I never wanted to quit reading.

I really loved this book. It is one that I will endeavor to find just the right edition to place on my shelves - a beautiful leather-bound edition perhaps, worthy of the masterpiece inside.

This was an easy rating for me: 5 out of 5 stars ( )
  Randy_Foster | Feb 13, 2021 |
Dracula is one of those stories you think you know because it has become part of popular culture - with a billion spin offs. But in fact you don't. I hadn't intended to read it but had a book scheduled which was related so felt I needed to read it first. I found it a real mixture - some parts were really good and interesting and some bits were deadly slow and I was reading as fast as possible to get past them. And I didn't know the actual story as it turned out. I didn't love it but it was good enough most of the way to get an average score from me. And all the tiny bits which people have used to create their own stories were fun to spot. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 8, 2021 |
I was really entertained by the start. Jonathan Harker’s diary was excellent, full of tension and ever growing fear. You really got a sense of Harker being totally isolated from everything that might have provided comfort to him. From anything he knew. And being out of his comfort zone and then suddenly being confronted with nightmares come alive.
That was great.

Unfortunately after that the book got a bit bogged down in a sort of “this happened and then that happened” and it suffered because of when it was written and set. All the male protagonists were so noble and well, jolly well decent, that it was a bit boring. The women too were almost too perfect. All the characters seemed almost stock characters, examples of what Stoker thought people should be, rather than accurate portrayals of what they are.

I still enjoyed my read of Dracula, and I think there is plenty of interest for anyone to discuss. The whole vampire myth building that he created, or adapted was game changing. And it is sort of amazing that our idea of what a vampire is still harkens back a huge amount to his creation. Plus it shows of Victorian Britain, with all its flaws and classist and racist leanings. Foreigners and lower class persons are just so beneath the middle class!

And do I even need to mention the vampire as sexual predator trope?
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
Al leer estos papeles se verá claramente cómo han sido ordenados cronológicamente. Se ha eliminado todo lo superfluo con objeto de presentar esta historia -casi en contradicción con las posibilidades de creencia en nuestros días- como simples hechos. No se hace referencia alguna a sucesos del pasado sobre los que la memoria se puede equivocar, dado que todos los escritos seleccionados son rigurosamente contemporáneos de los hechos, y reflejan puntos de vista y experiencias de quienes los consignaron.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
A mi querido amigo Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
Diario de Jonathan Harker (Redactado taquigráficamente)
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue'.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgment, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgment or adaptation.

6305078181 is for the 1979 movie directed by John Badham.

Abridgement.
Abridged.

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included.

Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)
Dracula could teach
Edward not to sparkle so.
He hates those books too.
(hillaryrose7)

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

4 2007

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832521, 1907832653

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,851,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible