Salem's Lot (1975)

by Stephen King

14,724285325 (3.94)1 / 279
Ben Mears has returned to Jerusalem's Lot in the hopes that living in an old mansion, long the subject of town lore, will help him cast out his own devils and provide inspiration for his new book. But when two young boys venture into the woods and only one comes out alive, Mears begins to realize that there may be something sinister at work and that his hometown is under siege by forces of darkness far beyond his control.… (more)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (keremix)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (clif_hiker)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (LKAYC)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: 'Salems Lot is a better recommendation than The Tommyknockers for it is as much about the death of the town as it is the slow take over.
    The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Two great vampire stories!
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.
    American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Stephen King does vampires...quite well!
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
1970s (42)
Uni (4)

English (269)  French (5)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (280)
The first King novel I wasn't really enthralled by. Alternately tedious and exciting. It felt like 3/4 of the book was set up, and then the final parts weren't even that great. Pretty verbose descriptions that began to wear, too.

Certainly not bad, however. ( )
  J.E.Schier | Oct 12, 2022 |
Decent book. Good plot and character development. ( )
  classicmannyc | Oct 12, 2022 |
Rilettura a distanza di forse trent'anni. Non il miglior King di sempre, ma tra i più belli. Con il senno di poi, il soggetto del romanzo sa di già visto, ma per essere un libro di metà anni 70 era ed è dannatamente avvincente. ( )
  L3landG4unt | Oct 11, 2022 |
I've been a fan of King's work for over thirty years, and I finally got to read this recently, as I am currently going through some of his back titles that I've missed. This one was quite disappointing for me. It hums along nicely for the first 530 pages, slowly building suspense and introducing some well-drawn characters. I was enjoying it thoroughly. However, at the 530-page mark, there seems to be a continuity error of epic proportions, something which goes against the story's rules as established up until that point. Normally, a thing like that wouldn't bother me overmuch, but here, this error occurs in a very crucial scene, a scene which shouldn't have happened at all if King had been following his own rules. Because of this, I lost all trust in the narrative, and with it any suspense that may have been generated. It became a slog for me to finish the book, but I managed. There are also, in those remaining pages, some serious flaws, especially an incident where a major character does something very much out-of-character, again at a crucial moment, which further destroyed the tale's credibility for me. So, this is easily the weakest King novel I've read to date. A real surprise, as he is, in general, a consummate storyteller. I rate it two stars, just because of the strength of the earlier sections ( )
  aickman | Sep 24, 2022 |
I think about this book almost every day. I try not to, but it really stuck with me. There's this part in the book, SPOILER ALERT, where this young mom is left at home with her baby while her husband is at work every day. The baby screams and cries and poops and she's left with it, all alone. She ends up getting really frustrated and she pinches the baby until it cries, and then she feels bad and she loves on it for awhile and the baby always loves her back. He coos and smiles at her. I think about this all the time. It's been months since I've read the book, but I think about it. ( )
  Vanessa_Leigh | Sep 3, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McLarty, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piatti, CelestinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, ChristophTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winger, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue

Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
For Naomi Rachel King

"...promises to keep."
Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

The town knew darkness...and the awful, heavy silence of terrifying images grotesquely dancing in and out of the shadows...and stark white faces, huge empty eyes and long gnarled hands that reached out with lustful insistence...and the paralyzing fear of a diabolical corruption and a hideoous peril more dreadful than death. But no one living in Salem's Lot dared talk about the high, sweet, evil laughter of a child...and the sucking sounds... (0-451-12545-2)
Featuring full-color wraparound artwork by David Palumbo and full-color interior paintings printed on a high-quality glossy stock and tipped into the book!

About the Book:

'Salem's Lot is a small New England town with white clapboard houses, tree-lined streets, and solid church steeples. That summer in 'Salem's Lot was a summer of homecoming and return; spring burned out and the land lying dry, crackling underfoot. Late that summer, Ben Mears returned to 'Salem's Lot hoping to cast out his own devils and found instead a new, unspeakable horror.

A stranger had also come to the Lot, a stranger with a secret as old as evil, a secret that would wreak irreparable harm on those he touched and in turn on those they loved.

All would be changed forever—Susan, whose love for Ben could not protect her; Father Callahan, the bad priest who put his eroded faith to one last test; and Mark, a young boy who sees his fantasy world become reality and ironically proves the best equipped to handle the relentless nightmare of 'Salem's Lot.

This is a rare novel, almost hypnotic in its unyielding suspense, which builds to a climax of classic terror. You will not forget the town of 'Salem's Lot nor any of the people who used to live there.

Special Features For This Deluxe Special Edition:

• an introduction by Stephen King
• an afterword by Clive Barker
• many deleted scenes that were cut from the original manuscript
• the short stories "Jerusalem's Lot" and "One for the Road"
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches) featuring two color interior printing as part of the page design
• printed on a heavy interior specialty paper stock that is much thicker than the paper in a normal trade edition
• custom-made slipcase for the Gift Edition, custom-made traycase for the Numbered Artist Edition, and custom-made three-piece traycase for the Deluxe Lettered Artist Edition
• epic wrap-around full-color dust jacket artwork by David Palumbo
• a different full-color dust jacket for the Numbered Artist Edition painted by David Palumbo
• Full-color interior paintings by David Palumbo
• interior artwork will be printed on a heavy glossy stock and tipped into the book
• an original map of the town drawn by Glenn Chadbourne exclusively for this special edition
• signature sheet artwork for all three editions by Glenn Chadbourne
• high-quality endpapers and fine bindings
• an exclusive reproduction of the first reader's letter to point out the Father "Cody" error and several internal memos from Doubleday about changing the pricing after the first edition of the book was already printed
Quiet wooded town.
Darkness draws across the night.
Leaf strewn silent paths.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,136,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible