Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark

Vampyrrhic (1999)

by Simon Clark

Series: Vampyrrhic (Book 1)

201888,316 (3.45)7
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.

I enjoyed the bulk of this book but had a couple of minor issues.

David Leppington is coming back to the town of this birth to investigate the possibility of a job and to learn more of its history. Bearing the same name as the town, the Leppington family used to be prominent members but now are down to a sole uncle who is more loner than town leader. The usual spooky stuff and premonitions of evil occur as Leppington dives into the town history. And then the capper is revealed as his uncle informs him that the Leppingtons are descended from the Norse God Thor who gave them an army of the undead in order to conquer the other religions. With the last living heir in town, the uncle explodes the gates holding the undead back and a horde of vampires are unleashed. While maybe a little crazy sounding, it's no worse than a virus being accidentally released and killing almost everyone (THE STAND) or any haunted house story.

My first problem was with being told the same thing again and again. There were a few events that kept getting repeated and repeated and repeated. Enough already, I understand that he is supposed to lead the vampires in a fight against all religions. If I didn't get it the third time, I got it the fourth. No need to keep telling me. My other issue was an ending that was a little too easy. The final confrontation that was expected was there. However, it was how the hordes of vampires were suddenly dealt with that was too simple. Otherwise I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it. Try to not let these minor points be an issue for you. ( )
1 vote dagon12 | Sep 7, 2012 |
Finally finished reading this book, took me longer than usual. I'm usually pretty desensitized to horror (I watch and read alot from this genre) but this was reallllly freaked me out multiple times! Was difficult to read at night. Well written, a great story line with a ancient god twist in it. Can't wait to read more from this author! ( )
1 vote phenske | May 24, 2011 |
This book is very descriptive. It started out slow, but I really got into it around half-way through. It's a refreshing look back on what a good vampire story should be (not a romantic version of the bloodsuckers) ( )
  IntrinsiclyMe | Dec 29, 2009 |
The characters in Vampyrrhic have trouble using the V-word to describe the menacing cellar-dwellers. They don't follow many of the old-standby vampire rules and Clark has introduced a Norse mythology back story to these creatures. Clark piles up dreadful elements, like a videotape left behind by a vanished hotel guest, and takes his time developing characters, making Vampyrrhic one of the scarier titles I've read from Leisure Books. ( )
  Wova4 | Aug 25, 2009 |
When I read the synopsis for the book I though that it was a cheap rip off of Salem's Lot. I was surprised to find out that it isnt. Their are a few similarities between the two books but not alot. The book is well paced, should be a quick read, most of the charachters are interesting, and the backstory is very good. ( )
  kagan | Jul 30, 2009 |

Simon Clarkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Alan M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Leppington is a small town, quiet and unassuming. Yet beneath its streets terrifying creatures stir. Driven by an ancient need, united in their burning hunger, they share an unending craving. They are vampires. They lurk in the dark, in tunnels and sewers...but they come out to feed. For untold years they have remained hidden, seen only by their unfortunate victims. Now the truth of their vile existence is about to be revealed - but will anyone believe it? Or is it already too late?

Beneath the streets of the quiet English village of Leppington stir terrifying creatures, driven by an ancient need and united in their shared, unending craving. For untold years they have remained hidden, coming out only to feed and seen only by their unfortunate victims. Now the truth of their vile existence is about to be revealed--but will anyone believe it? (July).… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible