Wicked Lovely (2007)

by Melissa Marr

Series: Wicked Lovely (1)

Seventeen-year-old Aislinn, who has the rare ability to see faeries, is drawn against her will into a centuries-old battle between the Summer King and Winter Queen, and the survival of her life, her love, and summer all hang in the balance.

Aislinn is a normal high school senior, does well in school and stays out of trouble, obeys her grandmother (who has raised her since her mother died). Except that she can see fairies, just like her mother and her grandmother before her. It isn't the fun parlor trick it may seem, though, because fairies are *everywhere* and completely dangerous. If they should ever find out that Aislinn can see them, it would be bad. Very bad. So she lives her life pretending as best she can that she doesn't see the horror all around her all the time. It's uncomfortable, but she manages, until two of the fairies start following her, day after day. When she discovers that one of them is the Summer King and he has chosen her to be his queen, her world gets even more complicated than it is already.

I love urban-ish fantasy involving dangerous fairies, so this one was right up my street. The characters are all nicely drawn, and I like the spin on the fairy world (traditional yet also new), and I love the new take on the love triangle trope, with a nice, strong female lead who calls some pretty great shots. I'm definitely continuing with this series because I'm excited to see what comes next. ( )
  electrascaife | May 8, 2022 |
Only mildly romance. It's a teen book and a good one, so there's romantic entangling going on. In some ways it reminds me strongly of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, in that reluctant heroine navigating the dangerous other world on her own kind of way. It's better, though. Better plot, better resolution, better characters. Enough angst for the vampire kids, enough intelligent resolution for me. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
A little silly, but fun to read. ( )
  MinaSmith12345 | Jan 26, 2022 |
I love this series! Melissa Marr writes beautifully. There's a really good sense of setting, and the characters are believable.
I liked Ash, she was pretty relatable. She can see faeries, but can't tell anyone.
I loved Seth. He was nice and caring...and I liked his piercings.
Donia was likeable too. She cares about Keenan, but she knows he's not hers so she closes her heart to him.
I didn't like Keenan. I know he was just trying to do what was best for his court, but I don't like the way he was trying to do it.
I didn't like Beira either. She was a bit sadistic. ( )
  DoomLuz | Jul 20, 2021 |
Well, I read this over the weekend, so I must have liked it. An interesting twist to the story of girl having to choose between mortal and immortal loves, as we see in the His Mortal Instruments series and, to a lesser extent, Uglies. An interesting look into the fairy world. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:  SEERS, or Men of the SECOND SIGHT,…have very terrifying Encounters with [the FAIRIES, they call Sleagh Maith, or the Good People]. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
Chapter 2: [The Sleagh Maith, or the Good People, are] terrifyed by nothing earthly so much as by cold Iron. -The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk and Andrew Lang (1893)
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter.
The Summer King knelt before her. (Prologue)
"Four-ball, side pocket." Aislinn pushed the cue forwards with a short, quick thrust; the ball dropped into the pocket with a satisfying clack. (Chapter 1)
"Please let it be I'm looking for," he whispered to the scepter of the Winter Queen clutched in his hand and hoped - a brief moment of optimism. But then the ice is bored into them, spread out like shards of glass in her veins. "Keenan," she cried. She stumbled toward him, but he walked away, no longer lit, it did not look at it anymore. Then it was a wolf allein. Nur keeping her company while she waiting to tell the next girl, how stupid it was to love him, trust him.

The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale. Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight. Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost! Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,023,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible