The Darkest Part of the Forest

by Holly Black

In the town of Fairfold, where humans and fae exist side by side, a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives awakes after generations of sleep in a glass coffin in the woods, causing Hazel to be swept up in new love, shift her loyalties, feel the fresh sting of betrayal, and to make a secret sacrifice to the faerie king.… (more)

I am actually confused about my reaction to this book. I finished it because it was good enough that I wanted to continue but now after a few hours have passed, I can’t seem to recollect many remarkable things about it. The writing and descriptions are actually good and these are things that I usually don’t notice. It was also quite interesting to see a different dark side of the Fair Folk because I am used to the handsome warriors from the SJM world. Even though I didn’t really like the characters of Ben and Hazel individually, I really loved their sibling relationship and the bond that they share despite keeping a lot of secrets from each other. I also liked Severin and Jack but felt that I didn’t get enough time to get to know them properly. The romances here are kinda instalove even though “technically” they are not. There are a couple scenes with the monster which are the only ones I think were very well written and I felt invested in. The ending also felt very simple, so I don’t have an overall satisfactory feeling. Probably recommend for anyone who wants to read a simple standalone fantasy novel involving the Fair Folk. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
This was a fun read. I enjoyed it, and Holly Black weaved the story together really well. The beginning of the book was a bit slow (almost a bit too slow, in my opinion), but I got more invested in the story once it started picking up. I liked most of the characters, and they were all very interesting. The Alderking was one of the more interesting characters, and I kind of wanted to know more about him. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
teen fiction; faery-fantasy/adventure (with incidentally gay character in a love triangle-pentagon-pentagram? type situation). There are many layers to this town on the borders of faeryland, and everyone's got their story, from former monster-hunter Hazel who can't stop kissing random boys (there are worse things she could be doing, at least) to the mysterious horned boy awakened from decades of sleep inside his unbreakable glass casket. It takes a little while for the action to start, but once that monster (who, herself, has her own story) visits the high school and makes everyone collapse into tears (and mold), there's no turning back. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I read this book because a patron of our public library would like it to be banned from the library due to teenage drinking and physical harm to a changeling infant. Those two event happen at the beginning of the book and set the stage for the protagonist, a human teenage girl, to show her strength and intelligence. Holly Black writes in the Urban Fantasy genre for young adults. I enjoyed her writing. She's very descriptive and she includes characters that are diverse. The protagonist is difficult to like at the beginning of the novel (she drinks alcohol and kisses lots of boys without caring about any of them), but she begins to trust and shows her loyalty to her family and friends. At times it reminded me of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and I loved the reference to The Odyssey. A great book for teens and adults! ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 12, 2021 |
I've always been really, really into stories of humans interacting with a complicated and political fairy world so this book was made for me. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't a sequel that I can read right now. I want to read about Hazel going on romantic quests for Jack and performing knightly deeds for King Severin and I want everything about Ben's time in Fairieland, from him learning how to control his gift to him figuring out how to navigate the vicious fairy court as the king's consort. Give me more fairy politics! ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toby and PeteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come now, my child, if we were planning to harm you, do you think we'd be lurking here beside the path in the very darkest part of the forest?

-- Kenneth Patchen
For Sarah Rees Brennan, a great friend and an inspiration
Down a path worn into the woods, past a stream and a hollowed-out log full of pill bugs and termites, was a glass coffin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,325,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible