Hawksong

by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Series: The Kiesha'ra (1)

In a land that has been at war so long that no one remembers the reason for fighting, the shapeshifters who rule the two factions agree to marry in the hope of bringing peace, despite deep-seated fear and distrust of each other.
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books have to do with shapeshifters facing problems in their society. Great books!
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (LucyClements)

read forever ago and liked it at the time. Will have to re-read and see what adult me thinks. (own only book 1)

Also read:
- Snakecharm #2 - 3*
- Falcondance #3 - 3* ( )
  Corinne2020 | Aug 15, 2021 |
Atwater-Rhodes is perhaps best known for her first novel, “In the Forests of the Night,” published at a precocious age fourteen. But “Hawksong” marks her venture into the shapeshifter realm, and an excellent one it is.

Danica Shardae is the heir to the avian shapeshifter kingdom, which has long been at war with the royal serpent family, which is about to be inherited by Zane Cobriana. The royal families have been decimated by the wars, and both kingdoms have grown tired of the battles. In a peace meeting mediated by the royal cats, a treaty cemented by marriage is suggested, much to the horror of both royal houses. Still, both Danica and Zane cannot help but wonder what such a peace would be like, and after some under-the-table negotiation, decide to pledge to one another despite their natural antipathy.

Though the novel draws on familiar storylines — “Beauty and the Beast” and “Romeo and Juliet” are the most obvious — young Twilight fans will certainly enjoy this book, which also has several sequels of varying quality. Personally I find that this first book is the best of the series. It is a quick read and can easily be completed in one sitting. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Hawksong may look like a short book, but there is certainly nothing simple about it. I liked it best out of the series, but the others still captured my attention.

One hawk-shapeshifter, heiress to an avian race. One cobra-shapeshifter, prince of the serpents. One cool and aloof, the other sensual and sensitive. Both of them sick of the endless war between their people. Both willing to do anything to end it...even when it means becoming pair-bonded with each other.

Danica and Zane's emotional and political journey never fails to awe and move me. The lessons about love, emotion, race, and stereotype are there, but they are woven intricately into the characters and story. You travel right along with them, find yourself falling in love with both of them, and at the end, you leave with an enduring sense of inspiration and hope. Incredible fantasy, especially when you consider Atwater-Rhodes wrote it as a teen! ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
Loved this book, the first in a series about shapeshifters for young adults. ( )
  Gmomaj | Aug 10, 2019 |
I loved this story and I just finished it in two days. I would definitely recommend it to one of my friends. Danica is a reserved falcon who is brave and isn't afraid to do what she wants to strive for peace. Zane is a serpent who is working towards the same thing. Though these two are very different in background and personality they somehow find a way to bring both of their warring sides to peace. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |

Amelia Atwater-Rhodesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hawksong is dedicated to my mother, Susan Atwater-Rhodes, for everything she has given me and everything I am now.
They say the first of my kind was a woman named Alasdair, a human raised by hawks.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,806,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible