Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan

Midnight Never Come

by Marie Brennan

Interesting concept, but veeeery slow read. Never warmed up to any of the characters. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |
There are two courts in London, and two queens rule England. One Mortal, one Fae. I do like the Fae, and I'd loved to read even more about the different Fae and lands.

Elizabeth and Vididiana They know of each other. To the rest The Fae ares stories. The tricksters, the fair ones.

Do I like Elizabeth? No, she is always so petty. Did I like Vivi? Gods no, she was one mad cow. You can see my point, things are not better in the Court of Onyx.

I need to get to the point. Lady Lune is sent to the mortal court. There she will gather information. At the same time we have Michael, new to the court and trying to get into Walsingham's good graces. And uncover who a hidden player is at court. The will obviously meet at one point, and maybe even like each other, at the end. Hint hint.

We have political intrigues. A spot of romance. The dangers of the fae. The dangers of a mortal court. And it makes so much sense. Of course the Fae were in the background, this works so well.

Conclusion:
I never expected the conclusion to actually arrive in this book, which was good! But it also makes me so curious what will happen in the rest of the series.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Read 11/2015
  DavidPowell | Nov 25, 2015 |
While I loved Natural History of Dragons, it took me a very long time to get into this novel. The last 70 pages or so were by far my favorite but that was only after many internal debates on whether or not to give up on it, all in spite of how much I enjoyed the writing style. I think what bothered me was the passage of time. I found myself confused and having a hard time following when actions occurred. The set up took a bit too long and the payoff wasn't big enough for me. I'm going to look for Warrior and Witch though, Natural History impressed me so much. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Originally posted on The Emerald City Book Review (emeraldcitybookreview.blogspot.com)

This is a tale of two courtiers in Elizabethan England. One is on his way up, newly appointed to the Gentlemen Pensioners, elite bodyguard to the Queen herself. The other has recently fallen from high favor, and is fighting for her life in the cutthroat atmosphere that pervades the royal court.

But there's a twist: the sovereigns they serve are not the same. A shadow court exists below the streets of London, a court of Faerie known to few mortals. Is Elizabeth one of them? What does she know of Invidiana, the dark and hidden counterpart to her bright and shining reign above?

When two courtiers, one mortal and one of Faerie, find their paths intertwining in unexpected ways, they know that nothing can ever be the same again. They must risk everything to find the answers.

Marie Brennan's lush and lovely tale will draw you in at once and not let you go until long after midnight, if you're anything like me. There is no shortage of historical fiction about the Elizabethan period, including a goodly amount of fantasy -- and small wonder, given the truly fantastic personalities, events, and literature that era produced, let alone the clothing styles. Midnight Never Come is a worthy addition to the list, spinning something compellingly original out of the threads of history, folklore, and tradition. Historical personages, legendary figures, and Brennan's own inventions mingle seamlessly, each of the large and varied cast of characters depicted with conviction and strength.

Most of all, her two protagonists will captivate you with the details of their lives in court: real or imagined, it matters not. You won't want to stop reading until you find out what happens to them, how it happens, and whether (let's face it) they have a future together. Can the ancient alchemical formula "As above, so below," become a reality and not a mockery?

This is surely an entertainment, not an educational or philosophical tome, yet such deeper questions do rest at its foundations. Along with Brennan's fluent, elegant writing, this is one of the greatest pleasures to be found in reading this novel. In the halls of fantasy fiction, long may she reign. ( )
  withawhy99 | Jun 22, 2014 |
Fitful drafts of chill air blew in through the cruciform windows of the Bell Tower, and the fire did little to combat them.

England flourishes under the hand of its Virgin Queen: Elizabeth, Gloriana, last and most powerful of the Tudor monarchs. But a great light casts a great shadow. In hidden catacombs beneath London, a second Queen holds court: Invidiana, ruler of faerie England, and a dark mirror to the glory above.

In the thirty years since Elizabeth ascended her throne, fae and mortal politics have become inextricably entwined, in secret alliances and ruthless betrayals whose existence is suspected only by a few. Two courtiers, both struggling for royal favor, are about to uncover the secrets that lie behind these two thrones.

When the faerie lady Lune is sent to monitor and manipulate Elizabeth’s spymaster, Walsingham, her path crosses that of Michael Deven, a mortal gentleman and agent of Walsingham’s. His discovery of the ‘hidden player’ in English politics will test Lune’s loyalty and Deven’s courage alike. Will she betray her Queen for the sake of a world that is not hers? And can he survive in the alien and Machiavellian world of the fae? For only together will they be able to find the source of Invidiana’s power — find it, and break it…

A breathtaking novel of intrigue and betrayal set in Elizabethan England; Midnight Never Come seamlessly weaves together history and the fantastic to dazzling effect.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031602029X, Paperback)

But a great light casts a great shadow.

In hidden catacombs beneath London, a second Queen holds court: Invidiana, ruler of faerie England, and a dark mirror to the glory above. In the thirty years since Elizabeth ascended her throne, fae and mortal politics have become inextricably entwined, in secret alliances and ruthless betrayals whose existence is suspected only by a few.

Two courtiers, both struggling for royal favor, are about to uncover the secrets that lie behind these two thrones. When the faerie lady Lune is sent to monitor and manipulate Elizabeth's spymaster, Walsingham, her path crosses that of Michael Deven, a mortal gentleman and agent of Walsingham's. His discovery of the "hidden player" in English politics will test Lune's loyalty and Deven's courage alike. Will she betray her Queen for the sake of a world that is not hers? And can he survive in the alien and Machiavellian world of the fae? For only together will they be able to find the source of Invidiana's power -- find it, and break it . . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

In the thirty years since Elizabeth I ascended her throne, fae and mortal politics have become inextricably entwined, in secret alliances and ruthless betrayals whose existence is suspected only by a few. Two courtiers, both struggling for royal favor, are about to uncover the secrets that lie behind these two thrones. And a faerie lady's courage and loyalty are about to be tested.… (more)

Marie Brennan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,818,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible