Summer Knight

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (4)

6,9731761,006 (4.14)1 / 276
Despondent over the loss of his vampire girlfriend, private detective and wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden undertakes a mission for the Winter Queen of Faerie to find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen of the crime.

English (174)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (176)
I very much enjoy this series to indulge a bit in darkness. If you've got a wizard saving the entire world from destruction, you know it's going to be a good read! This is probably my most favorite of this series to this point. ( )
  Riverdeboz | Jul 25, 2021 |
Sorcerers, werewolves, vampires... And now the Fae. We already had hints of it from the previous books, particularly in the guise of Lea--Harry's literal Fairy Godmother.

Overall, it's a very cool bit of worldbuilding. The Fae aren't particularly uncommon in Urban Fantasy and I really like the Dresden Files version thereof. They've even gotten to the point where they act as background knowledge when reading other series. If something isn't mentioned, I'll fall back to the Dresden Files as ground truth. It's just that solid.

Another nice bit is to finally see the White Council that we've heard about for several books. They're more or less what I imagined they would be in this world. A whole pile of different people and cultures brought together by a shared magic. And just like any other large group of people, there is politics.

Of course Dresden ends up smack dab between the two.

The plot is neat, with a few twists and a good number of players muddying the waters. It's interesting to see how even beings as elemental and unchanging as Fae can be twisted against themselves.

Cool scenes:

Dresden and Murphy fighting a giant plant monster at a Home Depot equivalent.

Meeting the crazy powerful (crazy and powerful) Fairy Mothers, the eldest of the queens.

That final battle in the sky.

The scope of the world keeps growing, revealing more and more of the things that go bump in the night (and that could tear Dresden limb from limb without breaking a sweat).

Also, Dresden finally told Murphy just about everything. About freaking time. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Harry is riddled with guilt because his girlfriend had her memories of him wiped and was changed into a near-vampire so he is barely functional. Then, the wizard's White Council convenes in Chicago and puts Harry on trial for various infractions, all done in the name of righteousness. With a few key allies, he negotiates a trial -- to open up routes through the Nevernever, requiring the approval of warring Faerie tribes. Winter Queen Mab shows up at Harry's office, having bought his marker from his godmother, demanding his help to solve the case of who killed the Summer Knight, upsetting the delicate balance of between the Fairie tribes. Lots of Machiavellian intrigue in the world of Fairies. Once again, Harry risks life and limb, rallying his friends the werewolves (Billy and the Alphas) and Chicago lieutenant detective Karrin Murphy. A memorable battle scene at the Walmart, with a plant monster, a chainsaw, and confusion mist. Improving, 3.5 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

Summer Knight is book 4 in The Dresden Files series. This novel treats us to the major powerhouses in the Dresden world: the Fae, the White Council, and the Vampires. It’s an illuminating installment both for the readers and Harry.

At the start of Summer Knight we are about 9 months from the events that took place in [b:Grave Peril|91476|Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1266470209s/91476.jpg|803205] and war has happened between vampires and wizards. Harry starts out in a bad place, but by the end he’s transformed into a person better able to deal with the pitfalls tossed in front of him. He finally realizes some things and turns to friends. He gained insight and growth as a character.

A lot occurs during this novel. Several new characters are introduced over the course of the murder investigation into the Summer Knight. We are treated to Billy and the wolf pack from [b:Fool Moon|91477|Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1345556849s/91477.jpg|855288]. They are around and helping Harry out. Harry finally trusts Deactivate Karen Murphy and shares everything with her. I was also thrilled to finally see him open up and share with Murphy. I was thrilled to finally meet and see the elusive White Council that we have heard of. I liked that we got additional information about Harry’s past and his first love, Elaine, who pops back up. And, last the mythology of the Fae is expanded on abundantly.

I found Summer Knight immensely entertaining and enjoyable. I liked the mystery, diging into Harry’s past, and I loved that Harry finally confided in Murphy.

Rated: 4 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Sadly, I like his characters better than I like his style. I don't know that I care to read any more of this series. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for big sisters everywhere who have enough patience not to strangle their little brothers - and particulary for my own sisters, who had more than most. I owe you both so much.
And for Mom, for reasons that are so obvious that they really don't need to be said - but I thought I would make special mention of candy cane cookies and that rocking chair that creaked me to sleep.
It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
Sometimes the most remarkable things seem commonplace. I mean, when you think about it, jet travel is pretty freaking remarkable. You get in a plane, it defies the gravity of an entire planet by exploiting a loophole with air pressure, and it flies across distances that would take months or years to cross by any means of travel that has been significant for more than a century or three. You hurtle above the earth at enough speed to kill you instantly should you bump into something, and you can only breathe because someone built you a really good tin can that has seams tight enough to hold in a decent amount of air. Hundreds of millions of man-hours of work and struggle and research, blood, sweat, tears, and lives have gone into the history of air travel, and it has totally revolutionized the face of our planet and societies.

But get on any flight in the country, and I absolutely promise you that you will find someone who, in the face of all that incredible achievement, will be willing to complain about the drinks.

The drinks, people.
The last thing the twenty-first century wants to admit is that it might not know everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,693,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible