The Various (2003)

by Steve Augarde

Series: Touchstone Trilogy (1)

While staying on her uncle's rundown farm in the Somerset countryside, twelve-year-old Midge discovers that she has a special connection to the Various, a tribe of "strange, wild--and sometimes deadly" fairies struggling to maintain their existence in the nearby woods.

This is quite a charming story with a very old-fashioned feel about it. We've all read books like this before - a child stays with an old relative in the country and discovers an impossible world where magic exists. In fact, this has so many resonances with the Narnia chronicles that, at times, I felt horribly close to the edge of that plagiarism cliff. But, you know what they say - there are no new stories - so I guess a reworking is OK. Pegs the flying horse annoyed me but I guess I'll read the other two in the series as I do like the fairy characters. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
An enchanting cover; the story, not so much.

It took five separate attempts over the last two months before I could finally push my way through to the end. Midge didn't talk, act or react like a 12-year-old girl, and I found the adults all rather self-involved and unlikable. So there weren't any characters with whom I really felt a strong connection.

The world of the Various should have been exciting and mesmerizing, but it just wasn't. It needed more oomph! I was almost - and I loathe to say this - bored. Perhaps it was too much description where not a whole lot was needed, and too little where it would've added depth and intrigue? For these reasons I will not check out books two and three. I will say that I rather enjoyed the perspective of the Various: how they saw the Gorji (humans); how they feared and avoided the felix (cats) at all costs; how they described and used books.

I would only recommend The Various to young readers, up to around age 10, who have not been exposed to much fantasy. Otherwise, the frequent readers and/or the older readers would likely give up on this one.

2.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Nov 22, 2014 |
Same old story: Girl discovers fairies,learns of the danger to fairies, and works to protect them. However, this story has great flesh - decent writing, a well described environment, and relatable characters. Really enjoyed Pegs. I would have liked a bit more with him. I will definitely read more of the series. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
  jeremylukehill | Feb 9, 2011 |
I really enjoyed this book. I found that it was different from all the other fairy books. I can't wait to read the other 2 books. ( )
  millett23 | Oct 28, 2010 |

Steve Augardeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delon, MelanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to all those who live precariously yet remain hopeful. (And this includes my family of course - Gina, Camille and Marcelle)
The Various were not as Midge had imagined they would be.
Please note that the title of this book is "The Various" - don't combine with books that have various authors!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,911,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible