The Field Guide (2003)

by Holly Black, Tony DiTerlizzi, Tony DiTerlizzi (Illustrator)

Series: The Spiderwick Chronicles (1)

When the Grace children go to stay at their Great Aunt Lucinda's worn Victorian house, they discover a field guide to fairies and other creatures and begin to have some unusual experiences.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (fyrefly98, cmbohn)
    fyrefly98: Very similar stories (kids in a creepy old house learn to see magical creatures all around them), although I think Fablehaven skews just a little older than the Spiderwick Chronicles.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (HollyMS)
    The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (Bitter_Grace)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    The New Brighton Archeological Society by Mark Andrew Smith (FFortuna)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (avatiakh)

English (95)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Afrikaans (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (102)
A bite-sized visit to a fairy-inhabited mansion with a secret room, this book feels less like the first installment in a series than like the first quarter of a book. I suppose the idea is to be unintimidating so that children who are on that cusp between reading being tough work and being a delight will not shy back from a hefty tome. Or the idea is to sell more books.
From a plot perspective, the creatures share names but not characteristics with some of the magical beings in Harry Potter (who of course are derived from various folklores). The main characters are somewhat uninspiring: wealthy children who fence and reside in a mansion, two-thirds of whom (including the main character) are male.
For well-off children, only half of whom are male, having magical adventures, I much prefer Half Magic and the other Edward Eager books, but they would tax the reading ability of this book's intended audience. ( )
  KSchellVT | Sep 8, 2021 |
So much family fun with this series.
We own:
- the 5 original books
- the three bonus books that are part of book 2. we hunted for them in cereal boxes back in the day
- Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You

We enjoyed the movie and the computer game from back when we needed CDs to play them iirc. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I couldn't resist picking this up from the library last night after looking inside and seeing just how nicely presented it is. It definitely feels like the first book in a series, simply because the story is fairly quick to introduce and resolve, but it's a pleasant read with likeable characters.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |

Jüssi, HeljuTÕlkija.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lempinen, Ulla(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosse, ØysteinOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till Tamás,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandmother, Melvina, who said I should write a book just like this one and to whom I replied that I never would --H. B.

For Arthur Rackham, may you continue to inspire others as you have me --T. D.
If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.
The strangest thing, however, was the subject matter. The book was full of information about faeries.

The room had a low ceiling, and the walls were covered in bookshelves. Looking around, he realized there was no door.

AR 4.2, Pts 1.0

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,092,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible