The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (1943)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

30,80757649 (4.25)2 / 765
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
    Platero and I by Juan Ramón Jiménez (caflores)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    The Sandalwood Box: Folk Tales from Tadzhikistan by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Mr. Bliss by J. R. R. Tolkien (NicoleSch)
    Das cousas de Ramón Lamote by Paco Martín (cf66)
    cf66: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Louise von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Grammar Is a Sweet, Gentle Song by Érik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (4)
Elevenses (223)
Robin (3)
Africa (475)

English (468)  Spanish (48)  Italian (19)  French (10)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Chinese (1)  Slovak (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (578)
The Little Prince has taught me that as a grown up, I am too busy to understand and relate to my children. The Little Prince stops and sits on his little planet so he can see the beauty in life. This book is a small chapter book that is written by a French author, some parts are hard to read for little children, but if it is read to them, it is easier to understand. ( )
  rrc204 | Apr 13, 2019 |
During the hour I spent reading this book, I felt peace. The little prince has taught us something grown-ups are usually too busy to make note of: that it's the small details of life that are important, that we find the most joy in the things that we create, watch over, and help grow. At times other things may seem important—like making a living, paying bills, and fulfilling obligations—but it's the moments that we stop to smell one special rose that make life worth living. The little things are the most important, because without them we would be like the businessman or the drunkard—too distracted to notice the wonderful things right in front of us. ( )
  AngelClaw | Mar 27, 2019 |
The main protagonist is a lonesome pilot, whom originally wanted to be an artist but was advised not to since his first two drawings were deemed "failures". However, he was an exceptionally good pilot. One day he meets the little prince when in Sahara. The little prince explains that he came from an astroid, where there were two active volcanoes, a dead one, and a flower. He loved the flower, though she was bitter and harsh. Eventually, he can't take it anymore and decides to leave. She confessed that she loved him, but he left anyways. The little prince meets many conceited adults in space while searching for a home. Then he finds Earth, where he meets a kind and intelligent fox that teaches him and helps him realize he loves the flower. Protagonist and the prince find an engine for his crashed plane and the prince finds a snake. To return to the flower, he must be bitten, so he "dies" of the venom. The story is left on a cliffhanger.
I found this book meaningful and interesting. Though I have previously watched a film based on it, the book was way better. My favorite character was the protagonist, since he is the most relatable for me. A lot of people will expect you to be a certain way in life, and some people let that change them. The book was short, but still able to portray many emotions and thoughts. I chose this book because it was recommended to me by a friend. I would recommend this book. 11/10 ( )
  CarolinaT.G1 | Mar 23, 2019 |
held up to the hype. I enjoyed this classic book. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I wanted to love it, but I see it's draw. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 16, 2019 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Saint-Exupéry, Antoine deprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xancó, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Quodiam die, cum, sex annos natus essem, imaginem praeclare pictam in libro de silva quae integra dicitur vidi; qui liber inscribebatur: "Narratiunculae a vita ductae."
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Only classical Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language translations. Please leave Regulus combined with Le Petit Prince, as it is *not* a classical text but a modern translation.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

El principito habita un pequeño asteroide, el B 612, el cual comparte con una flor vanidosa y tres volcanes. De allí parte de viaje por los planetas, y ?cae? en la Tierra, donde entabla una amistad entrañable con un aviador. Descubre que, separado de las cosas que daban sentido a su vida cotidiana, que requerían su cuidado y le proporcionaban bienestar, se siente más solo que nunca.Las conversaciones con el rey sin súbditos, el borracho que bebe para no avergonzarse de beber, etc., le demuestran que vivir aislado no tiene gracia, es ridículo, y no sirve para nada. Y más tarde, las charlas con el zorro le enseñan que quien entabla una relación es responsable para siempre de aquello que ha creado. Así, con este aprendizaje y abrumado por la melancolía, decide regresar a casa y nos deja la posibilidad de intuirlo cada noche en el cielo estrellado.Disfruta del contenido extra que te ofrece la Realidad Aumentada y descubre experiencias únicas que te enamorarán:? Música? Juegos? El universo del principito en 3D? Y mucho más

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,221,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible