The Little Prince (1943)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

35,47964744 (4.24)2 / 805
An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
    Platero and I: An Andalusian Elegy by Juan Ramón Jiménez (caflores)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    The Sandalwood Box: Folk Tales from Tadzhikistan by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Mr. Bliss by J. R. R. Tolkien (ComposingComposer)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Das cousas de Ramón Lamote by Paco Martín (cf66)
    cf66: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Louise von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Grammar Is a Sweet, Gentle Song by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (6)
Elevenses (234)
Robin (3)
Africa (473)

English (522)  Spanish (55)  Italian (17)  French (10)  German (9)  Portuguese (Portugal) (8)  Catalan (5)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Czech (2)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Chinese (1)  Arabic (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (645)
I was not lucky enough to have been introduced to this book as a child, but I've heard so much about it I had a nagging NEED to read it. I am so glad I finally did! This is a sweet book filled with wonderful little life lessons that are all to often forgotten these days. The Little Prince is without a doubt a true gem that will stand the test of time. ( )
  literarylifelines | May 13, 2021 |
"Oh, I understand just what you mean," said the little prince, "but why do you always speak in riddles?"
"I solve them all," said the snake.
And they were both silent.

Oh, yes, I am this evil. I apologize to my friends who love this book for all that I am about to say. This is the worst children's book I've read since The Giving Tree. Yes, the snake was chilling and the finale was lovely, but the underlying ideas are so awful that I can't rate this any higher.

Here's my issue: The problem with the world isn't that people grow up. It's that far too many never finish the job. The romantic obsession with being a child isn't beautiful and it isn't warranted. Growing up is good. Maturity sets you free. It is impossible to see the invisible without it. And when you truly have it, kings and vain men and drunkards and businessmen and lamplighters and geographers turn out to be as beautiful as roses, and you don't have to tame or be tamed to love someone.

It also really does not help matters that the rose is the only female voice, conforming to almost every stereotype of the feminine I can think of off the top of my head, or that the hero blithely continues on inflicting pain on those around him and this figures as wisdom. That is it, really. The wisdom contained in these pages is poison.

Loved the snake though.

(Reviewed January 2016.) ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
When reading this book there are a few lessons that you can pick up on. For example, that humans can be materialistic, we need to appreciate the little things, etc. This book is great for older elementary students to middle school students but anyone can read it and hopefully pick up on the lesson and grew from it. ( )
  BreeGaska | Apr 29, 2021 |
Review for Norwegian version.
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Ce livre est absolument, bien sûr, un classique de littérature française. Pour moi, le livre est un classique parce qu'on le peut lire à tout âge pendant sa vie. Les cours dans le carapace de le fantasie simple sont très riches, et le petit prince est charmant. Quand on sont entrain de lire, en les mots de le renard, >. Aussi, pour quelq'un comme moi, qui est un élève de le langue française, ce livre est parfait avec son vocabulaire diverse et les perspecives plusieurs.
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Saint-Exupéry, Antoine deprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xancó, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Quodiam die, cum, sex annos natus essem, imaginem praeclare pictam in libro de silva quae integra dicitur vidi; qui liber inscribebatur: "Narratiunculae a vita ductae."
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Only classical Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language translations. Please leave Regulus combined with Le Petit Prince, as it is *not* a classical text but a modern translation.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

El principito habita un pequeño asteroide, el B 612, el cual comparte con una flor vanidosa y tres volcanes. De allí parte de viaje por los planetas, y ?cae? en la Tierra, donde entabla una amistad entrañable con un aviador. Descubre que, separado de las cosas que daban sentido a su vida cotidiana, que requerían su cuidado y le proporcionaban bienestar, se siente más solo que nunca.Las conversaciones con el rey sin súbditos, el borracho que bebe para no avergonzarse de beber, etc., le demuestran que vivir aislado no tiene gracia, es ridículo, y no sirve para nada. Y más tarde, las charlas con el zorro le enseñan que quien entabla una relación es responsable para siempre de aquello que ha creado. Así, con este aprendizaje y abrumado por la melancolía, decide regresar a casa y nos deja la posibilidad de intuirlo cada noche en el cielo estrellado.Disfruta del contenido extra que te ofrece la Realidad Aumentada y descubre experiencias únicas que te enamorarán:? Música? Juegos? El universo del principito en 3D? Y mucho más

4 2018

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,933,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible