dismiss

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

30,22578361 (4.06)4 / 1067
Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Toby Alone by Timothée de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Weave a Circle Round by Kari Maaren (Aquila)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)

English (778)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (783)
If I were to have read this book in middle school, I probably would have loved it! As an adult....... I really loved the themes: family, love, being different, unity. It taught good lessons. I see why it is a classic, just not my fav. Best character was aunt beast! ( )
  jzw908 | Jun 3, 2020 |
A great book filled with wonderful imagery and characters.

However, there was one aspect of the book I didn't enjoy:

Perhaps because this is a children's book or the fact the author admits it's hard to find the right age for readers of this book, but I was really disappointed in the ending. Not in the "love" aspect, but because the book just ends. There is a tremendous build up to the climax of the story...and then, the book is over. Wanted/needed more.
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This book was mentioned on Episode 1 of Checking Out. Listen here! ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
I found myself enjoying this much more than I thought. It’s not a book I would have liked a kid, but it really resonated with me as an adult. L’Engle hints at gray spaces, where we don’t have answers or things aren’t clear and easy, yet we must press on anyway, which really sings to me at this moment in my life. Read it, no matter how old you are. ( )
  hestapleton | Apr 14, 2020 |
Read w The 5th Grader. Mondo chill read, though wind in door might have the edge tbh...
  theodoram | Apr 7, 2020 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. "What did she mean? How could she have known?" [p.27]
Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points. [p.75]
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"

Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsit, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,696,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible