The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.

1990s (10)
foods (3)

English (1,455)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,467)
Explores the possible development of societies searching for perfection.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 22, 2021 |
It wasnt that great but I don't enjoy slow books with not alot of action, I had to read this book for school. The whole concept of a screwed up utopia was ok I guess and its was somwhatedly interesting to read their solutions to things but then the ending wasn't very clear ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
One of the granddaddies of dystopian YA, gracefully written, thoughtful, moving - really well done. ( )
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this novel. Keep an eye out for a review @ www.sezabez.wordpress.com! ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Fascinating and lovely. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,122,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible