The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)

1990s (7)
foods (3)

English (1,443)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,455)
Apparently I'm on a kick of books that make me want to cry and curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb. I never read this book for school like a lot of people did and I'm sorry we missed this wonderful story. Lowry did such an amazing job with Jonas and his experiences that I felt as if I was there too. Probably a good thing I didn't read it in paperback form because it kept me from throwing my Kindle at the end of the book. Might have to look up the others in the series now. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Lois Lowry, an acclaimed American author of children and young adult books, describes a society of Sameness that holds a dark truth, learned by a twelve-year-old boy who became the key to bring back humanity to their community in the Giver (April 26, 1993, HMH Books). The novel won the John Newbery Medal in 1994 and was turned into a movie in 2012.

The Giver is the first dystopian novel I read back in 2000 and it still fascinates me after reading it again. I am amazed at the world Lowry created, the rules, the way of living, and the things they give up just to avoid pain of love, loss, and being human as a whole. To be human is to feel love and pain; rejecting this truth brings more harm than good.

As I read along, I enjoyed getting to know the characters that are memorable. The community with its own unique, bland culture is fascinating. The ending left me hanging though and I was curious as to what happened to Jonas, Gabriel, and the citizens when they remembered the memories.

The Giver is an easy read but enjoyable. You get transported to a world so different from what we know. Our society is far from perfect but with love, life is more meaningful. ( )
  SunBox | May 5, 2021 |
In the vein of CS Lewis, this books relies heavily on morality rather than character to develop the plot. However, it has a powerful message about the risk and reward of individuality and is an engaging read. Highly recommended. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I made sure the video was available before I started reading The Giver. The book is quite ordinary, perhaps that's what is reigning this days. An Utopian where everything is well arranged. No one is envious of the other. And to me really, it is a nice arrangement. The community did not realize they were different so, what you don't know doesn't hurt you.
Only one person is allowed to be the sort of 'Librarian/Historian'. I like it because it is a different concept from the Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, 1984 (There are all people who withhold the truth from the citizens), at least from the book, the whole citizens of the community had there place and position those who didn't fit in were 'released'.
It an interesting read.
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
I may revisit my rating later. Right now I will go with 3 1/2 stars.

Great writing. Finished it in one sitting. Once I was done I realized that this is really just a simplified and shallower YA version of the thoroughly devastating masterpiece 1984. We are spoon fed the message through "the Giver" who is a teacher figure speaking directly to the protagonist and the audience.

However the whole message is rather muddy in the end--very different from 1984 which pulls no punches when Orwell writes "If you want to picture the future, picture a boot stomping on a human face--forever."

I also found the whole societal set up and total absence of explanation for many key elements (eg. how do you make a whole society color blind, or even why?) annoying as it came off to me as a plot device to make a point.
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,938,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible