The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
    1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.

1990s (26)
foods (3)

English (1,496)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,507)
Another school read. Not my thing. Boring. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
Very easy and quick read. A little hurried at the end. It could/should have been longer to flesh out the end a bit. It is essentially The Cave for teens. ( )
  Nerdyrev1 | Nov 23, 2022 |
This interesting story is about a boy named Jonas who lives in a world that is free of crime and any sadness. The catch is that everything is chosen for the children, including who they will end up with as a partner. Throughout the story he gains a new perspective and learns what makes life valuable. This story will be great for middle schoolers to guide and challenge their way of thinking. ( )
  cmb064 | Nov 13, 2022 |
Published in 1993, this coming of age story is a classic dystopian tale for middle grades and up. Jonas will be turning twelve soon, and he will be given his assignment, equivalent to an occupation, in a society that has no extremes. This society values sameness. The rough edges have been smoothed. It is both safe and bland, but the people living there have no idea that life used to be different. Only the Receiver of Memories is privy to humankind’s past.

For me, the strength lies in Jonas’ growth and development. He starts seeing the world beyond the limitations of his youth, which causes him to grapple with many significant questions. As a novel geared at a younger audience, it is short and straightforward. It contains material to spur weighty discussion in classrooms or book groups. A few scenes are extremely dark and would probably scare young children.
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Reread this book many times. I enjoy the world building and also no holding back just because it is a YA book. ( )
  Charlie69 | Oct 21, 2022 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,119,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible