The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,315)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,329)
oh the splendor of utopia.... that ending is one left to the imagination. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
Way too simplistic to my taste, both in language and concept. It examines the role of feelings, memories and differences in a society, and gives a vision of a safe and content community that knows no pain and suffering, but the price they pay is no real love or feelings, either. This is a good concept, however the narrative and the dialogue are so dreadfully oversimplified for an adult that I would probably have not finished it if it was longer. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This book teaches the significance of memory loss. Involves young adults. Good for 8th grade in my opinion. ( )
  maespino | Oct 28, 2018 |
I read The Giver for the first time about 10 years ago, I really liked it then as a pre-teen and still enjoyed it today. Its a quick read and very well written. I felt the author did a good job at setting the background and building up, I would of liked more information between the time Jonas is upset at his community's lifestyle and their plan on how to change it. I think its relatable in a way that everyone is kind of in a innocent bubble as a child then as you learn more about the world you realize shit is unfair, this was just a more extreme version. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
This book will always be a favorite of mine. I read it before I entered into 6th grade and it is the book that changed the way I thought. It challenges the reader to imagine in a way they haven't before. It is set in a dystopian society, unlike the world we live in which challenges the reader to try and understand a different world, society, and life. The book is hard to put down yet challenging for the mind of a young reader while also giving the reader the opportunity to imagine the ending as it ends on a cliffhanger. ( )
  apendr1 | Oct 4, 2018 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,176,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible