Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (571)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (581)
Cassia has a choice. In a culture where the decisions are made for you and doing as you are told leads to happiness, choices are a rarity. However, the choice Cassia has to make happened accidentally and is practically improbable.

Somehow Cassia gets matched with two boys who are from the same province as she is, both of whom she knows personally. This is a mistake that the society never makes. So what’s going on?

The most fascinating thing about this book is the Society. Ally Condie builds a dystopian society that has full control over the decisions of its citizens. The Society tells them what to eat, where to live, where to work and who they should marry. It’s important that they regulate the lives of their citizens so that they could live a healthy life in harmony with each other. Cassia, after being given two matches, begins to see the hold that the society has on her and the citizens. She begins to experience the dangers and excitement of making her own decisions and doing things the way she wants to - she wants to take control of her own life.

Matched focuses a lot on Cassia and Ky, and though I understand that this seems to be a Ky arc, I wanted to see more of Xander. Xander seemed to be the down to earth and sensible choice, however, Cassia is a teenager caught up in the danger that is being with Ky (now I’m sounding a bit like the society). In focusing on Ky and Cassia’s relationship, it left the world building and Xander’s character - though seemingly nice - a little flat. Putting these things aside though, it was quite enjoyable. I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens to Cassia and Xander as well as the Society. This might be the first dystopian book in which I’m rooting for the government’s choice as opposed to the protagonist’s. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
It wasn't bad, but like most dystopian novels, I found it to be depressing... Not my favourite genre, and yet somehow I keep reading more of it. Lol! (Shaking head at self for buying the 2nd in the series, in fact... I know exactly what I'll be thinking as I read it...) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
Adequate, predictable, not particularly gripping. (But that's fantastic cover art!) The characters are pleasant enough, but not fully developed. The Society is omniscient and controlling, just as good little dystopias should be, but it doesn't seem to be all that logically constructed, and it's pretty amorphous as an enemy. (Only at the end do Cassia's fears prove to be justified. Up until then, the Society seems to have no threat worse than boring you to tears with flavorless oatmeal and plain clothing.) Despite my lukewarm reaction, I'm thinking about reading the sequel, mainly to find out why the Society is starting to crumble after four generations of apparent stability—not because I care all that much about the characters. I'm sure they'll be fine. ( )
  Silvernfire | Nov 22, 2016 |
Review to come. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
Review to come. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,758,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible