Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, JRMANDRAGON, Rennie80, Positron777, Yesiks, Trookies, ValkaryQueen1811, skydhash
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward, 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (607)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (618)
I wanted to like this series so bad. but it is so badly ans poorly written. so many loopholes and transitions that are awkward. I did the audiobook and the narrator was a bit whiny. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Having heard so many positive reviews of this book, I expected a lot more. In a time of YA dystopians galore, Matched doesn't reach the heights of some of its contemporaries.

Matched is the story of Cassia, a young woman who, in a Society where the couples are matched by officials, finds herself with two matches, one of which she can never truly be with. Or so she thinks. The whole story was really vague about the purpose of the Society and why it came into being. There are pills every citizen carries with them, but Aberrations and Anomalies, people other than Citizens, don't get them. We're never clearly told what the difference is between three classifications, or why tissue samples are taken when every dies, always at 80, always with medical assistance.

I wanted so much more out a book that promised so much. All I got was a lot of unanswered questions and a disinterest in continuing the series. ( )
  CarleyShea | Sep 16, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book! There's not too many books that I give 5 stars to that don't make me cry. Though this book didn't make me cry, I was completely wrapped up in the world and I cannot wait to dive into the next book! It was just so good! They live in a world where the "Society" decides everything about their lives. The Society tells you what to eat, what to wear, who to marry, when to have kids, and even when to die. When Cassia is matched to marry her best friend named Xander, she couldn't be happier. Later when looking at her file of her match it shows Xander's face, but then his face fades and another face appears just for a moment of a boy named Ky. This has never happened before. The Officials from The Society explain to Cassia that it was a mistake and that Ky wasn't supposed to be in that system at all and that someone was pulling a prank. Cassia is told to ignore the error and go on with life with Xander, but Cassia can't help but be drawn to this other boy. This "error" starts her questioning more things than just the matching system. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
RGG: First in a series set in a dystopian world where everyone has a happy life following the rules of the Society, including who they are matched with. Only Cassie is accidently matched with two boys causing her to start to learn to value choice even if it means breaking the rules. Very readable, enjoyable teen reading.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 1, 2021 |
For once I really don't have an opinion on something! I picked up the book from my little sister's room. I'd never heard of it, she'd never read it, and the cover was pretty so I thought I'd give it a go. Honestly it was pretty bland and Dsytopian books are getting old. For once I didn't hate a love triangle! It fit the story nicely with the fact that the government picks who you marry (Xander, her best friend) and human nature telling Cassia that Ky is the one. I'm finding it a little hard to believe that the society just accepts things like that though... like the fact that they are WELL aware that the elderly killed off once they turn 80, Past stuff 'artifacts' are always burned, they only chose a select few songs, poems etc. to be available to society. all others were burned with no trace of their existence left. That is except for the poem Cassia has illegally along with her love for Ky and desire to WRITE (also nonexistent). And that special red pill... no one knows what it does so people think that the red pill kills people. Or do they just not remember? That's right the government even keeps track of people's memories and DREAMS (as in citizens are hooked up to machines and MONITORED while they sleep! How can no one find that creepy?!?!) There's absolutely NO privacy the government controls absolutely EVERYTHING.

I thought Ky and Cassia's relationship was so cute and rebellious until you learn that the government set up everything to see what would happen and that they could predict every choice anyone in society makes. I bet they didn't think Cassia would take it as far as she did though... escaping to go after Ky I mean.

Anyways as far as recommending this book goes, I wouldn't say it was TERRIBLE. It was an ok book but not so great that I'd go around saying "OMG you just HAAAAVVVVEEEE to read this book! You're just toooootally missing out in life if you don't!" so if it's not out of your way to read it or you absolutely can't get enough of dystopian books then by all means go right ahead. If not then it's really not worth the effort.

I thought the whole set up was pretty cool, choosing the dress, having the artifacts, being able to have choices even though they've already calculated what your choice would be... Even having the main characters pick between setup love and Ky seemed fascinating, but the book was so bland! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night? My wings aren't white or feathered; they're green, made of green silk, which shudders in the wind and bends when I move - first in a circle, then in a line, finally in a shape of my own invention.
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ally Condie's book Matched was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,482,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible