Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Anomaly by Krista McGee (Anonymous user)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward, 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (617)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (628)
Things I liked:
Xander’s and Cassia’s relationship. Best friends since they were young and then matched by their society – nothing better!
Ky’s understanding of just what was going on with the society, brought forth not just in his words, but by his actions of not letting anyone know how smart and capable he was.
Bram, Cassia’s younger brother -- what an adorable kid!
Nice, kindly old grandfather was a voice of reason.
The 100 lists – 100 paintings, 100 poems, 100 songs – the society has determined that there are exactly 100 things in every category that the people should know, no more and no less.

Things I had problems with:
Everyone was so nice. Human beings have a bit of rebellion inside them, and I found it difficult to believe that everyone would just take their little pills and not wonder what was going on.
Xander accepted Cassia’s rejection too easily. I thought he'd have more spunk.
The pace of the first half of the story was too slow. I didn’t think anything was ever going to happen. Cassia just kept going on and on about how wonderful the society was. I know it was important to establish that she was happy with her life, but it went on so long that it was difficult to believe that she would show any negative reaction to the rules at all. When she did start to rebel, I had to force myself to try to accept it. It didn't rise naturally from the story.
I listened to the audio version of this book and the narrator’s voice sounded like a young girl rather than a teenager, making it difficult to get into her character.

I wished I could give this book more than three stars. It had a great premise and wonderful possibilities. It didn't really fulfill either.
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.”
― Ally Condie, Matched

The cover for this one is absolutely captivating so I would’ve taken a second look at this book even if the plot had not interested me which it did.

I did not love it.

Maybe I have read to much Dystopian. I love this genre but since I finished the Divergent series, it seems every new series I try lets me down.

Matched has one of the most interesting covers I've ever seen. And the writing is descriptive (which I adore). The story is interesting. But I barely made it through the book. Why?

It was written in a very YA way. Also the book goes back and forth from one time period to another..past to current to past to current..an d that really is not my thing. Plus the creepy factor wasn't there as in most Dystopian that I love. I was not all that intrigued to find out what would happen next.

I freely admit I did not go on in the series so I do not even know how it all ends. I think I maybe needing a break from this Genre for awhile. Matched obviously worked for many but not myself. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
I'm a sucker for Dystopian literature, apparently. This was a good story and I looked forward to listening to more of the story each time I got in the car, even if there was a little too much relationship stuff in it for me. I don't understand why so many of these stories feel the need to have a "love" triangle. Just doesn't seem necessary. But overall a good story! ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
I put it down. Sorry if it counts as a "read" book for my book challenge.

I tried and tried and tried. I can't remember the main character's name; I read it last night. I got to about 90 pages and found myself thinking of all the other books I could be reading. Yeah. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
sooooo boring. character are plain and robotic. the last few chapters got slightly better and it seems as if the entire first book was simply building up to the second one. this book provided back stories for this “society” with little to no actual action. i understand this was supposed to focus on the “love triangle” but it even that sucked. ( )
  Aubslynn22 | May 2, 2022 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night? My wings aren't white or feathered; they're green, made of green silk, which shudders in the wind and bends when I move - first in a circle, then in a line, finally in a shape of my own invention.
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ally Condie's book Matched was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,038,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible