Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.
    Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (482)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (488)
"Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't." ( )
  Gmomaj | Aug 31, 2021 |
Love is violent, dangerous, unpredictable, and painful. Love hurts. Anyone is capable of love, that's the scary part, that this disease can capture anyone at anytime without warning. That's not entirely true, there are warning signs, but once a person is infected with love there is only one cure. The Cure. At eighteen years of age all citizens are given the cure, it's too dangerous to perform the cure before that age, but until that age all are susceptible.

Her whole life she has known the dangers of delirium, of love. In the past people would die for love, they'd kill for love, they'd beg, lie, cheat and steal for love. But without love there has been less chaos, less fighting and crime. Yet with only months, days left until her own cure, she is discovering all the things they don't tell you. That without love, without the pain, there is no joy, no happiness and nothing to connect you to those around you. Nothing to connect you to the world.

Delirium is a world where love is outlawed; a disease that can be cut out and removed leaving behind a shell of a life, compliant, unquestioning and uncaring. But as one girl begins to question all that she knows, all that she has been taught, she learns the hardest lesson of all. That love is all that matters. An interesting and intriguing story that may take a little too warm up, but once it gets rolling sets up a most compelling beginning to a new series. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
teen fiction; dystopian romance. I had to skim through parts of it, but for the most part this was a very readable teen romance that should satisfy people who read these things. It does take a while to get going, so I wouldn't recommend this to reluctant readers or those who crave action action action. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
RGG: A very YA read; lots of teenage angst. A good read-alike for The Giver. Reading Interest: 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Jun 10, 2021 |
I admit to never having read any of Lauren Oliver's stuff before and that I only picked this book on a whim whilst browsing through recommendations on Audible.

Let me begin by saying this: I wish I hadn't experienced this as an audio book. Perhaps, if I have read the book, I would have appreciated all the poetic descriptions that a lot of other readers are raving about.

Now, I love audio books - when they are done right. Unfortunately Sarah Drew (narrator) did not do the book any favours.
I understand she was reading in a "teen voice", but the way she rushed through sentences and gasped through internal dialogue made me think she was hyperventilating.

Drew made Lena sound very very whiny and annoying. Through much of the books, I kept finding myself frustrated at how irritating and weak she was. I see that I'm not alone in thinking this, so perhaps it's not just an audio-book thing.

Like some of the other reviewers, I also found Alex a bit too perfect. But I can still believe that Alex's love with Lena is genuine. His recollection of the first time he saw her and what it represented to him was believable and nicely dodges the insta-love trope (at least for him).

Which is why...

I hate Lena's "love".
To me, it just sounds like she has a bad case of "lust". All that preoccupation with wanting to "kiss him, now!" just makes her sound boy crazy. It makes me wonder whether she would have had the same reaction to any boy who takes their shirt off to make a bandage for her leg. (oh, and did anyone else find it miraculous how a leg that was supposedly mangled by a dog to the point it's missing flesh can heal with just some antiseptic and bandage wrap?)

Ignoring, the teen-angsty love (this is a YA book after all), we then have a world where Big Brother is forever watching, all for the sake of making sure you don't ever fall in love.

Now, some parts of it was quite interesting; I love how they have excerpts from supposedly government approved text at the start of every chapter. This did a lot towards building a believable world for this book. But that's pretty much the only part that did.

You have a country that had closed it's borders because they want to keep a disease, called Love, out. Ok.
You have Regulators to make sure that people don't engage in illegal activities. Still ok.
Then you find out people get thrown into a hole known as the "Crypt" to rot and die because they want to love. Huh?

Let me see if I can elaborate.
In [b:Matched|7735333|Matched (Matched, #1)|Ally Condie|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1367706191s/7735333.jpg|9631645] by Ally Condie, the government wants total control over it's citizen. Like Delirium, characters in Matched can only access a pre-approved selection of books, paintings, music etc. Love also is ruled out of society (everyone is matched with a partner by a computer), but only as a by-product of the government controlling every aspect of your life.

In Delirium, it is the other way around; first and foremost, the government wants to rule out love and because of that, they have to control every other aspect of your life to make sure you don't get infected.

In that sense, it feels a little like over-kill to me. Like, really? The reason why the US decides to enforce martial law on it's citizen is not because there was a civil war (Hunger Games) or because they want an obedient and productive population (Matched), but because they want to make sure nobody falls in love?

When I first read the book's blurb, I had found the premise interesting. But the story doesn't seem to pull it off.

Perhaps this gets explained in subsequent books, but I'm not sure whether I want to read it. ( )
  vishae | Apr 29, 2021 |

Helanen-Ahtola, Marjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lempens, Willekesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ridelberg, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle Simón, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lauren Oliver's book Delirium was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,393,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible