Uglies

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (1)

Just before their sixteenth birthdays, when they will will be transformed into beauties whose only job is to have a great time, Tally's best friend runs away and Tally must find her and turn her in, or never become pretty at all.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (elephantshoe, liberlibri, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheBentley)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (goodiegoodie)
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (flemmily)
    flemmily: Very similar heroines in similarly closed-off, oppressive worlds. Similar emphasis on an unknown "outside." Similar environmental emphasis, although Westerfeld focuses more on nature, whereas Snyder deals more with issues of population control.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (LauraT81, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    LauraT81: Very similar dystopian societies where an operation is meant to subdue the members.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Specials by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (KingRat)
    KingRat: The White Mountains contains issues similar to those of Uglies: secret control of a society, "mind control", induction into that society, and rebellion against it while pretending to be a member. There are obvious major differences too. Still, enough similarities in style and substance that I suspect people who enjoy one will enjoy the other.… (more)
    Skinned by Robin Wasserman (Phantasma)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    Gamers by Thomas K. Carpenter (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen fiction! Gamers posits a world where everyone competes using games to define their future, while Uglies posits a world where everyone becomes pretty at 16. While these are pretty different worlds, both books chronicle stories of heroines not going quite where their society expects them to go...… (more)
    XVI by Julia Karr (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Similar Plots
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar theme: A girl lives in a brainwashing, conformist society. A group of rebels knows the truth and is trying to break the control of those in power. The girl must choose between what she's been raised to think and the people she cares about/what she knows to be true.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (Anonymous user)
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jbarry, liberlibri)
    The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian (sturlington)

English (620)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (628)
Overall I enjoyed the book. It is about Tally, awaiting her sixteenth birthday so she can have the surgery to be pretty (as everyone in this society does at that age). A few months before her birthday she meets Shay who questions the surgery and eventually runs away into the wild to escape it. Tally is forced to follow, but this forces her to question everything she's ever known. The plot is what kept me reading. The character development left something to be desired and everything seemed to happen to fast in the book. If you are looking for a quick and light read with a rebel questioning/challenging a society then I would recommend it. ( )
  ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |
“Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same.”
― Scott Westerfeld, Uglies

I read this whole trilogy. While I found some things to admire about it, particularly the theme of non conformity, I just could not get into it as much as I hoped.

This is a series where much of the focus is action oriented rather than dialogue driven and that was my first issue. I usually prefer it the other way around.

There was also much I did not understand. And it (the whole series really) was a bit to YA for me. I think I'd have preferred this in my High School days.

I did wind up reading the whole series. Not bad but I was disturbed by this one and all the cutting. I also think I'd have got more out of it had it been the first Dystopian I'd read.

At the end of the day, while I can appreciate the themes of the series and the atmosphere and the hover crafts which were fun, this was the the book nor the series for me. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 7, 2022 |
enjoyable, fund concept ( )
  McBeezie | Jul 27, 2022 |
I honestly thought by the description and reviews on this book that it was for an older audience (older YA) but it is clearly not. I got a little dragged down with main character some, but that is to be expected given the target audience. An interesting story that got better as the book went on. Not sure if I will continue to read the series though. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this. It's highly readable with interesting characters, but what really grabbed me were all the interesting ideas. Nothing is clear cut in Uglies. While Tally and the Smokies are the protagonists, there are still a lot of ethical grey areas in their world. What kinds of sacrifices are acceptable for peace? And if the Smokies get what they want, what might be the ramifications? Nothing is absolutely good or bad, right or wrong, and that makes for a truly engaging read. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
The Uglies books are the perfect parables of adolescent life, where adult-imposed milestones, rituals, and divide-and-rule tactics amp children's natural adolescent insecurities into a full-blown, decade-long psychosis.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremaine, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Turning Pretty

Is it not good to make society full of beautiful people?

- Yang Yuan, quoted in The New York Times
The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.
Part II: The Smoke

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

- Francis Bacon, Essays, Civil and Moral, "Of Beauty"
Part III: Into the Fire

Beauty is that Medusa's head

Which men go armed to seek and sever.

It is most deadly when most dead,

And dead will stare and sting forever.

- Archibald MacLeish, "Beauty"

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world—and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever....

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,308,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible