Specials

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (3)

After being captured and surgically transformed into a "special," teenaged Tally Youngblood, now a government agent programmed to protect society from outside threats, is ordered to eliminate the rebel colony New Smoke, Tally's former home.

English (212)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (216)
I enjoyed the first two novels more than this one. I didn't like Tally as much in the third novel. I also didn't care for the ending. The author should have just finished the series versus hinting to a future book. ( )
  Jeremias75 | Jan 3, 2022 |
I do enjoy the story told in this series but I wasnt as fond of this book. I thought the treatment of what is essentially the only disabled character in the series to be appalling (intentional or not) and felt like the focus of what was important should have been more on the societal issues than the environmental ones.

Personal note, there is a lot of self harm happening in this book and I found it pretty triggering. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
Tally has finally become Pretty, but beneath all the fun is a nagging sense that something is wrong. Then a message from her ugly past arrives and she remembers what's wrong with Pretty life and the fun stops cold.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 4, 2021 |
I love this series. I can't decide if this one or Uglies is my favorite. ( )
  DoomLuz | Jul 20, 2021 |
teen science fiction/dystopia. 3rd in the "Uglies" series, each installment functions as its own separate story (no need to read them all, or in order), set in the 2300s after the "Rusties" (a.k.a. 21st century culture, a.k.a. us) have apparently warred themselves and the environment to death. I found the world-building to be lacking, the limited vernacular to be overused to the point of banality, the characters not-so-compelling, and the whole set-up remniscent of the unkindest parts of high school. I think I much prefer the action/airship series "Leviathon," and probably would not even have finished this one had it not been a quick read that satisfies a requirement for our teen summer reading program (2 books down, three to go). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Specials is part parable of life as an adolescent struggling to define your identity in a conformist world; part dark and unflinching look at the very real mental disorders that this impossible circumstance visits upon many young people.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 8, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pyle, HowardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremaine, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Being Special

By plucking her petals you do

not gather the beauty of the flower.

- Rabindranath Tagore, "Stray Birds"
To all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)
The six hoverboards slipped among the trees with the lightning grace of playing cards thrown flat and spinning.
Part II: Tracking Zane

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,

There arises the recognition of ugliness.

When they all know the good as good,

There arises the recognition of evil.

- Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching
Part III: Unmaking War

One faces the future with one's past.

- Pearl S. Buck

"Special Circumstances": The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

And now she's been turned into one of them: a superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.

The strength, the speed, and the clarity and focus of her thinking feel better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more.

Still, it's easy to tune that out -- until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,766,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible