The White Mountains (1967)

by John Christopher

Series: The Tripods (1)

Young Will Parker and his companions make a perilous journey toward an outpost of freedom where they hope to escape from the ruling Tripods, who capture mature human beings and make them docile, obedient servants.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mcenroeucsb)
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Cecrow)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KingRat)
    KingRat: The White Mountains contains issues similar to those of Uglies: secret control of a society, "mind control", induction into that society, and rebellion against it while pretending to be a member. There are obvious major differences too. Still, enough similarities in style and substance that I suspect people who enjoy one will enjoy the other.… (more)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
I read this book at night to my kids (we took some breaks and I also read other books as well). We all really enjoyed reading this book, which is an adventure of 3 boys in a post-apocalyptic world.

I first encountered this book when I was a boy, 9 or 10, reading Boys Life Magazine. It was a serial comic at that time and I loved it. I remember reading it and talking to my cousin about it and finding out that it was based on a novel, or a series of novels. I was so excited, especially when I found the books at my local library.

I have re-read this series many times and enjoy it each time. The struggle for freedom expressed it the book is particularly poignant to me.

One thing I noticed particularly this time is that these long adventures against the odds are not all fun filled. The characters deal with many different set backs including fatigue, hunger, and illness. The depiction of these things brings a degree of reality to me. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
Read this when I was 10 or 11. I have remembered it ever since as an invigorating and frighting read. No idea what it would be like to read 25 years later, but it was a not-fun-but-terrifying YA level read. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
When revisiting a memorable book from childhood, it's interesting to go back and see what age it was recommended for. Scholastic says this series is for 6-8th grade, which seems a bit late. The 'great man' theory permeates this (absolutely fine, engaging) series, and I think it does a disservice to the reader's intelligence if they are really reading this in 8th grade (I mean, they are 13-14 years old at that point!). You have the normal issue with most book protagonists - everything important happens to them or near them or with their help, and layered on top of this is a coda where humanity goes back to it's warring ways because they couldn't trust one great man to lead them. I think this series is a fine introduction to science fiction for a young reader, with the understanding that it may reinforce weird beliefs about 'great men of history.'

I give books in a series, with a few exceptions, the same review. ( )
  sarcher | Sep 15, 2020 |
This was an enjoyable re-read, but not as powerful as it was when I was younger. I think that's because I was the target audience then, and am not now. I couldn't help now but imagine what this book would be like if aged-up a bit, with more descriptions and character development and tension. It's still a great story, but it doesn't have the same impact now as it did then. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Primera parte de la trilogía de los trípodes, una de mis primeras incursiones en la CF. Años después, leyendo a Greg Egan, en la historia en la que al cumplir 18 años de cambian el cerebro por uno de silicio, me acordé de esta novela, en la que una raza invasora a bordo de robots (los trípodes) hacen que al llegar a la mayoría de edad todos los jóvenes se implanten un chip. Los que no lo hacen se convierten en fugitivos y deben huir. Una novela de ciencia ficción para jóvenes que me gustó mucho. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |

John Christopherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burleson, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jessica : this, and the rest, with love
Apart from the one in the church tower, there were five clocks in the village that kept reasonable time, and my father owned one of them.

This book is purely science fiction and is a great read for middle schoolers.  The book is about a trio of boys who escape their communities to avoid capping.  Capping is when they are made to be docile and obedient to Masters, an unknown controller.  This is a perfect book to get kids, especially boys since all three main characters are boys, into science fiction.  This is a great book to teach in English classes as the story and structure is strong enough to do analytical reading.  Here is the link to his obituary , who died earlier this year, for kids to read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,912,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible