Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,319)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,336)

Oh my God, why don't I have the sequel in my face right now?! ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
This is probably my favorite new book. It was fantastic, yet believable. Beatrice handles an amazing amount of physical and mental pain, but she is very human and has her own realistic weaknesses. Her relationships with her friends, family, and enemies are complex. She realizes that the people she loves aren't perfect and can hurt her, but doesn't discount them for their imperfections. This is a great book about what makes people human and how they can be good and valuable without being perfect. ( )
  CassandraNicole | Apr 22, 2021 |
The major gripe I have about this book is how disjointed it feels towards the end. There is just a long time spent on initiation and then bam out of nowhere the action starts and we are thrown into crisis mode! But . . .then it gets really good. Once the surprise wears off the ending is enthralling. I'm looking forward to continuing the series. I'd highly recommend Divergent to other fans of Twilight and/or the Hunger Games. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
I really, really enjoyed this book. At first I found the narrator's voice a little distracting, but I soon got past it, as she seemed to so clearly inhabit Beatrice/Tris, and I got so caught up in the story that it really didn't matter who was reading it.

I appreciated the strong heroine, who understood her limitations yet tried to work around them. And, thankfully, there was no love triangle. I was left with questions which may be answered in the subsequent books, such as what happened to create the Factions, and what is going on in the rest of the world.

Although this is the first book in a series (I think trilogy), I don't feel as resentful toward it as I have toward other first books lately. It could stand on its own if you don't feel like exploring the world any further. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
Re- read April 2020
3.5 stars
Read it again and enjoyed it more than the first time.
Most of the stuff that kinda bothered me last time was pretty much explained in the 3rd movie, so I was able to understand some of the reactions and what I considered plot holes better.
Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

July 2015
2.5 stars
This is one of those times when I liked the movie better than the book.

Heather K brought up some excellent points.
That said, I was able to enjoy the book much more than her, mostly because I've read it without thinking so much. Which is probably because the book and the movie are basically the same. The movie is a fun way to spend an idle hour or two if you have nothing better to do, but I can't bring myself to say the book was worth the two days it took to read it. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. (from the publisher)

4 2092

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,900,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible