Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

21,4851389147 (4)752
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Survival Lottery by Vrin del Royal (Anonymous user)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)

English (1,365)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,382)
Omg. So this is my first review and I have to admit I really enjoyed this book. I was a little confused at the beginning with the whole faction thing and how it came about, but I understood it more as I read through the book. I actually read this last spring but it was one of those books that just stuck with me. The plot is great and the climax kept me on my toes the whole time. Some parts were sad while others made me smile. There was some romance between the two main characters and minor characters which was really cute. 5/5 stars! It's really amazing! ( )
  bookishconfesh | Sep 22, 2022 |
I'd been enthralled with this in high school but returning to it as an adult is... interesting. I didn't care about Tris the entire book, and found myself only invested when the story involved Four. The writing felt contrived and a lot of the concept was just really cringey, especially with Tris not knowing what the word Divergent meant for two-thirds of the book. World building was nice though ( )
  midnacine | Sep 17, 2022 |
Update from Oct 25, 2015: I've rated this down to 2 rather than 3 stars, because the hype surrounding this book keeps jangling my nerves, and the more time passes since I've read "Divergent", the less do I like the aspects I remember from it.

Review (written on Jul 28, 2015):

2,5 stars, rounded up to 3 stars.

First off, I didn’t nearly hate this as much as I simultaneously enjoyed it, yet neither do I understand how this became such a well-known bestseller. Veronica Roth introduces a self-confident, complex and likeable heroine, accompanied by a sexy, charming, strong leading male with a dark background (well, what else are today’s protagonists supposed to be?) – two characters I grew to like a lot. The story included very interesting scenes [for example the fear simulations, the initiation phases, the ride down the zip line with Tris, Uriah and the other initiants] – and an interesting build-up ... but the author did not succeed in making me care about what had happened in this dystopian world.

In the beginning, it seems to be a given how Chicago is divided into five different sections. Veronica Roth did not explain it at least once, which is why I probably have to read „Insurgent“ or even „Allegiant“ in order to learn information about the background, but with this being the only reason for me to continue to read the series, I probably won’t do so. I already have enough books on my „to-read“-shelf, and I think the ending is satisfying enough to stop reading after book one.

It was no bad read, don’t get me wrong. Tris and Four are very slightly interesting characters, and there was NO love triangle (yippie) – even though I initially feared to have to endure this, after one of the other characters showed his interest in Tris. The writing was floppy at some places, though. A LOT of sentences were simplified by boring and-constructions (perhaps in order to avoid this book from developing some complexity); several dialogues very anything but realistic. Yet Veronica Roth produced some well-written fight scenes, the development of Tris‘ character was felicitously performed, and Christina, Caleb or even Tris‘ mother were well-developed supporting characters.

I usually try not to do this, but I will probably look for some more detailed summaries of „Insurgent“ and „Allegiant“, allowing this series to rest in my „series-I-probably-will-not-finish“-shelf. It certainly wasn’t awful, but neither was it awesome.
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Divergent was riveting. It is a suspenseful, well-written, surprising, action-packed story with a strong female main character who starts as a confused teenager and slowly develops into a self-confident, powerful young woman.

The violence in the Dauntless faction she has chosen will be a turnoff for some, but it was logical to the purposes of the organization and it wouldn't have made sense to soften the events of the story.

I'm looking forward to book two. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
To be honest, I probably wouldn't have picked this up were it not for the movie coming out. Or, maybe I would have eventually, but really, YA is not my thing. The romance was a little too prominent for my tastes - I feel vaguely uncomfortable (or at least, disinterested) in teen love. I will probably continue the series, if for no other reason than to find out just WHY the society is constructed the way it is. It's interesting, but also somewhat bewildering. Still, I listed to the audiobook while I was at the gym, and it kept me engaged. ( )
  Rhiannon.Mistwalker | Aug 19, 2022 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. (from the publisher)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,287,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible