dismiss

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)
Recently added byrena40, hipney, suge, private library, alex.reads88, meg.leigh.02, JCLD01, lallard77
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,262)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,279)
Whilst this typically isn't a genre I would usually read, all the hype around the series has me wanting to check it out simply to expand my reading horizons.

I note that whilst it's 487 pages those pages are double spaced with a large lower margin, so in reality it would be more like 320-350 pages if formatted in a more standard fashion. I guess the publisher thinks the feeling of accomplishment allowing one to plow through a seemingly large number of pages will help its appeal to the younger demographic.

At any rate, the story itself is quite good, but not anything the young adult dystopian genre hasn't seen before in another setting or form. The books dystopian backdrop along with the relatable young teenage protagonist who is exploring the world when combined with enough violence to be titillating yet portrayed in a relatively benign manner and not so frequently as to be a cause for concern to parents pretty much guaranteed the books success.

I found the added mixture of factional politics to be of interest as an adult reader and that overall it was quite an entertaining read even if not venturing into any new territory per se. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | May 12, 2020 |
Divergent is one of the better dystopian books I have read. Although the romance of Tris and Four seems a little pushed, every other aspect of the book is great. I loved the factions and can see humanity doing this in the future, forcing people to fit in 5 different categories. I recommend reading this book if you like alternate realities! It keeps you on the edge of your chair. The pacing of the book and the writing style is well done. ( )
  sarveshi | May 6, 2020 |
It is not as good as everyone else seems to find it. ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
In my opinion, this was a great book/ series for several reasons. This was my favorite book I read in highschool. First of all, the plot was so interesting and nothing like I had read before. I think many different types of people would love this book; it has romance, action, bravery/ crazy character development, and suspense. The premise of the whole book is very thought- provoking because you wonder which path you would take if this dystopian society were real. I also love the book because the narrator, Tris, is a strong female character who takes a chance and conquers her fears (literally) while displaying such bravery and heroism. This book explores the sometimes realistic occurance of adolescent coming of age. Tris has to leave her family in order to live the life that she wants for herself. Although this isn't usually desired, I'm sure many teenagers can relate to her conflicted feeling of wanting to be accepted but wanting a different path in life. I would recommend this book to middle school or high school students. It is a pretty long book, over 400 pages, but it's a quick read because of how captivating it is.
  anicho14 | Apr 26, 2020 |
i really enjoyed it. Am currently on the second book on the series. Thumbs up veronica ( )
  DigitalKB | Apr 13, 2020 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts

4 1946
5 2010

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,245,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible