Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    The Republic by Plato (Guanhumara)
    Guanhumara: The original author of the idea of a society where citizens are sorted into roles based on aptitude, ruled by those who renounce all luxury and devote their lives to serving the well-being of their fellow-citizens...
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)

English (1,136)  German (7)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,154)
i really enjoyed it. Dystopian Chicago?? YES PLEASE. the story is well written and i got through it quite quickly. it really made me think. (also it's 9 in the morning so i can't really give a proper review on a mush brain). ( )
  ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 16, 2017 |
All right, kids, let's talk. This book is big right now, it's getting a movie, people love it, all that jazz and so on and so forth. And if we're being totally frank and honest, I'm a leeeeetle bit baffled as to why.
Within the first forty pages of this book, I'm reading scraps out loud to my roommate and commenting on the fact that commas are sprinkled in needlessly; there are no contractions to be seen; everything is very stiff and very formal; and there is no description. (Now, I'm totally cool with minimalistic description! I get that! I do that! We get nothing which is, decidedly, less cool). So, the writing for me was a huge struggle. It felt amateurish, but not in a first novel kind of way. More in a, you needed to either hire a better editor or write another draft, kind of way.
Another thing, YA dystopia is a struggle for me because of it's usually shoddy world building. We all know that. If you're writing dystopia, I want to know everything about the world because I want to know that the writer understands why the world is like this. There. Is. No. Worldbuilding. Done. In. This. Book. Aside from the set up with the factions (which is cool! I dig that a lot!) We get nothing. I don't know where this is set except it's in a city? I think? It was vague-ish. What happened to construct the factions in the first place (really, the answer is just '~*~*war*~*~ *waves hands vaguely*)? What's the technology like aside from the simulations? How far into the future are we? Where the hell is the rest of the world? These are things you can't actually leave out in dystopia, contrary to (apparently) popular belief. (Please, people, read [b:Oryx and Crake|46756|Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1)|Margaret Atwood|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327896599s/46756.jpg|3143431] if you want to understand proper dystopia) I don't care that this is YA dystopia. You can write YA and have fully fleshed out world building. Stop following Suzanne Collins' lead on this. It's not working.
However! The set up of the factions was cool. It was... well blatantly obvious to see how each faction was going to ultimately self-destruct, but the idea was cool.
The problem, plot-wise, with the factions, is that Tris — being from Abnegation — is definitely, obviously, going to choose to transfer factions when the time comes. There was no question about it. Because if she'd remained in peaceful Abnegation we would have no plot! So, if there was supposed to be any question at all as to which faction she was going to join, that failed. I like more mystery. I like not being able to call every plot point, and with this one, I saw every move coming.
Tris herself was a problem because she was — literally — a blank slate character. She even says so herself when she talks about how she doesn't even know what she likes. This is... incredibly problematic, especially because her character progression is very messy and jumpy and never fully makes sense. (She gets eyeliner and some tattoos, throws herself off some buildings on a zip line, and suddenly she's ~*fierce*~ and ~*badass*~?) I loved where her character ended up. With each character she refused to forgive she rose a little bit in my view of her. But the fact of the matter is that she's ultimately forgettable. When I'm thinking of my list of favourite YA heroines I'm going to think of Alina from [b:Shadow and Bone|10194157|Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)|Leigh Bardugo|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1339533695s/10194157.jpg|15093325] or Karou from [b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1338613368s/8490112.jpg|13355552] or Blue from [b:The Raven Boys|17675462|The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1370659760s/17675462.jpg|18970934]. Tris is ultimately going to fall away and be washed away by stronger characters because there's literally nothing to her. What does she like? Who is she? She's kind of selfish and wants to be brave. And she doesn't forgive easily. Aaaaand that's about what we've got.. Aside from her token ~*special*~ which is that she's Divergent (but that.... that kind of means very little in the ultimate scheme of things? All it means is that she has this extra edge and people want her dead... so... a generic ~*special*~ to say the least)
I do like Four. But, again, he's forgettable. He's stock YA lead male. He's got daddy issues. He's a prodigy (ok, I'm a sucker for prodigy boys but only when fallen from grace and he hasn't so...). But he does have tattoos so he did win me over. But, again, he's never gonna make the ranks because he's pretty bland as well. The romance was too close to insta-love for my taste. It moved too fast to really make a whole lot of sense, but I'm not going to complain too much about it because at least it isn't a love triangle. At least it's something different.
The problem with this world building is that it literally made for bland characters. Characters who had very flat personalities with very stock, distinct, one layer bits to them to make them stand apart from each other, but not enough to make them fully dimensional.
The pacing was a bit of a nightmare. Nothing would happen for aaaaages and then something would happen super fast and then nothing for aaaages again. It got better further on but the deus ex machina at the end killed me. She literally saved him with the power of love. Oh my god I almost threw my book across the room in disgust. That was so dumb.
In it's favour, though, the book is a very fast read and it sucks you in. I was enjoying it by the end enough that I wasn't noticing things like commas anymore. I enjoyed myself enough by the end to start the second one (and the writing in the 2nd is already a vast improvement so I guess she fired her editor and got a new one???)
So, basically, kids, I don't quite get it. I don't quite get the appeal to it all when the world building is literally non-existent and the main character is forgettable. But it's ok. We all like different things, yo. I'll probably see the movie because I want to see that knife throwing scene that was a good time. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Another dystopian novel that I've been wanting to try, and this one was pretty good....not Hunger Games good, but good in its own right. The bureaucracy of this world divides up and coming adults into one of five "factions", for the good of societal contributions (how creepy is that?). The main protagonist, Beatrice (Tris) Prior, is discovered to be "divergent", not fitting into any one faction. Keeping this a secret and declaring for Dauntless faction, Tris then falls into a world of training, developing trust and relationships, and preparing for upcoming treachery concerning her friends and family. Entertaining and thought provoking, I would recommend this novel for all who enjoy futuristic dystopian adventures... ( )
  utbw42 | Sep 5, 2017 |
I got this book out of a freebie box, so I was pleasantly surprised to actually enjoy it since this isn't a typical book I would read. I thought the concept was interesting and unique enough to keep me entertained. I had zero expectations for anything deeper than just being entertained, so the book did not disappoint. It is YA, so it is more fiction lite but sometimes that is enough. ( )
  ChrisWay | Aug 22, 2017 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,941,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible