Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road (2011)

by Moira Young

Series: Dust Lands (1)

English (149)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (150)
This book drew me in more than I thought it would with the dialect-first-person-narrative. But there were a number of scenes that seemed like unnecessary padding, like the book was too short and Young had to add another 50 pages somehow. I'm not sure how or why it's the first part of a trilogy, since the story wraps up pretty well at the end.

That being said, Jack is DREAMY and a great dystopian imaginary boyfriend. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
I ended up finishing this book in 4 hours because it was just that good. The intrigue is good, the build-up is good, the character development and growth is realistic and amazing all at once. It has a little romance, too (isn’t that the case with all teen novels?) which I wasn’t a huge fan of but nor did I hate it. I’m looking forward to the next book and I’m interested to see how the movie turns out (though it is rare that a movie is better than the book!) If you want a fast-paced adventure book that isn’t super heavy, definitely give this a go! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
more reviews at: thegoddessofbooks.blogspot.com

This book was amazing! There was still some romance, but only a little bit so it's okay. Saba began as a girl who cared for no one but her twin brother, who she thought of as more beautiful, smart, and kind than herself. She hated her younger sister, Emmi, and blamed her for their mother's death. Over the course of the book, Saba found out that she's a survivor, that she's beautiful too, that she is an unbeatable fighter. She learns to love Emmi, and that her brother isn't the only great person out there. The book was written in the way the characters talked: misspelled words and no g's. At first, it annoyed me to no end, but I learned to accept it. This is a must-read for anyone and everyone! ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
That was waaaaaaay better than I was expecting (though I'm still put off by the no quotation marks thing) to review. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Absolutely loved this once I got used to the way she writes. Saba is such a strong female character. She fights for everyone she loves and she stops at nothing to survive. If you liked Hunger Games or Maze Runner you'll love this. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |

Moira Youngprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lind, HeatherRead bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

In a distant future, eighteen-year-old Lugh is kidnapped, and while his twin sister Saba and nine-year-old Emmi are trailing him across bleak Sandsea they are captured, too, and taken to brutal Hopetown, where Saba is forced to be a cage fighter until new friends help plan an escape.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,962,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible