Catching Fire

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

39,321168131 (4.18)1 / 943
By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,638)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,676)
K. excellent also
  18cran | Jun 2, 2021 |
I DON'T KNOW WHETHER I LOVED IT OR HATED IT?!?!?!

I am just shocked, mostly......that ending left me a bit......let's say eager for the next book (that's a great understatement).

I loved the book. And there's not much I can say about it without giving away spoilers, so: I loved that we get to rejoin the arena, this time with slightly (vastly) different circumstances.....I liked that they went back into the arena, because I wasn't sure what else they could do as the book was a sequel, and the Games aspect was already explored in the previous book. I liked the higher stakes, and the secret agenda every single one of the tributes had....and Katniss took so long to figure it out!! So did Peeta, for that matter.

I didn't like the love triangle, I usually don't, for that matter. I am completely towards Peeta, I'm not even giving Gale a chance.....somehow, I just don't love him. We have seen and interacted with Peeta way more than we have with Gale, I just don't feel I know him enough to root for him. and anyway, I like Peeta more, so there's that.

I was eager to see what actually happened to District 13, but sadly, there wasn't much on that in this book, so I hope all will be explained in the next book.

I did love the new arena more than I did the last one.....it was way more interesting, the puzzle, (it was a clock?!!?!?) I really liked the teamwork, and the higher stakes, and that she was determined to save Peeta, but still deludes herself about who she actually loves.

I also have the feeling that the rebels were the one who rigged the Quarter Quell, not President Snow. President Snow had a lot to gain, yes, but there was no way a whole new set of tributes could have been convinced by the rebels to help Haymitch and Plutarch to get Katniss and Peeta out alive....or something to that effect.

That ending, that ending, GOD, I HATED THAT ENDING

There's no District 12, what do you mean there's no District 12!!??!?!?!?

Is it gone like District 13!??!Then how many of the Districts are gone??!??! Aren't almost all of them revolting?!?!! If all of them revolt, at the same time, and essentially cut off the Capitol's supplies, won't they win!?!?!? Despite how many Peacekeepers might be deployed!??!?! Surely there can't be more Peacekeepers than the population of all the Districts put together!??!

What I don't get, is why District 13 lost in the first place?? If all of them unite, there is absolutely no way that the Capitol would be able to stop them.

I really liked it (I think), and I can't wait to start the next one!! ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I'll have to go back and see what I rated [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275334s/2767052.jpg|2792775] but I think I enjoyed Catching Fire more. Maybe it's because it's been so long since I've read the first in the trilogy but I was completely involved in this story and enjoyed the political aspects and the alliance between the victors. And I swear I never thought I'd like Peeta but I did.

The only thing that I didn't like very much was the choice of narrator. I'd go 4.5 but rounding up.

Ok, I'm off to start [b:Mockingjay|7260188|Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275419s/7260188.jpg|8812783]. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Second book in the trilogy... Nice follow-up to the first book, with lots of action and new twists for the characters, with Katniss coming home from the games to a whole different world, unknowingly creating a mess for the ruling government, and hope for the people in the districts... Don't really see these as 3 books, but one long book since each one is so short... on to the next one... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
Quick read. Definitely a middle book of a trilogy with peculiar "ending" ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, SuzanneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

3 1916

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,888,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible