dismiss

Catching Fire

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

37,356165132 (4.19)1 / 939
By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.

English (1,609)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,645)
I had put off reading this series for so long because of the front cover. Yes, i know one should never judge a book by its cover but with this series i thought i could. It looked too boyish i the blurb didn't really appeal to me, but now I am so upset i didnt read it sooner as i absolutely loved it and anyone else who is foolish enough to do what i did should just pick the damn book up and start reading it. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
4.5 stars ( )
  Bryna_Heaton | Jun 19, 2020 |
3.5 stars

I may have been a tad disappointed by the first book, but after reading Catching Fire, I think I’m starting to understand why everyone says these are so great. I liked this one way more, and it just impacted me a lot more. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
***DO NOT READ if you have not read The Hunger Games. This is the second installment of the series and you will either be lost to referenced events or character development.***

Refer to my review of The Hunger Games at https://www.librarything.com/work/4979986/reviews/184536045

The best description for this book/series in 10 words or less:
"Girl with savior's complex and trust issues kills to survive."

I have read The Hunger Games series so many times that I lost count on how many times I have read it. I feel like the first book is full of so much world-building that you don't see as much of Katniss' growth as you can see it here. There is still some more world-building when it comes to seeing the other districts outside of District 12, but it's more character development and plot development that you see in this installment.

The twists and turns of this entire book were so good, which is why Catching Fire is my favorite book in the trilogy. I thought the arena was absolutely clever in how Suzanne Collins structured it. The part that really intrigued me was how much the other victors truly hated the Capitol. It makes sense but the things they do and say when they go through their pre-arena process. I liked being able to see Katniss' growth as she gets to know and work with the other victor tributes.

The first few times I've read this series I was all Team Gale, but as I get older I have become much more Team Peeta. I think it was Gale's boldness I liked but realized it's more of a boldness out of hatred of the Capitol rather than a real boldness for Katniss. Sure, Peeta never said anything to Katniss until their reaping and (coincidentally) found that the last time he could express his true feelings was then.

I think the star crossed lovers piece in this book is much easier to swallow because you start to see that it may not be entirely fake on either end. Peeta definitely softens Katniss' rough edges and you can see that through her time in both arenas with him.

And boy, that ending! I never saw that coming when I first read the series, but I won't give that away.

I think this book and series deserves all the praise it gets. It's usually one of the first book series I recommend to people who want to get into reading because it takes you for a wild ride.

Refer to my blog for a different view of this review:

Check out other books in my personal library for reviews and recommendations:
https://literarymary.libib.com/ ( )
  Marilyn95 | Jun 10, 2020 |
This book was an adventure like no other. It was such an action packed read, the story only got more interesting and nerve wrecking as it proceeded. can't wait to read the next installment in this trilogy. ( )
  manogna_thumukunta | Jun 4, 2020 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,942,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible