Catching Fire

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

41,918172229 (4.18)1 / 949
By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.
Recently added bybriannalesieur, ArgueK, private library, Hynes, amerritt, Merleluu, Kaits.shelf, gusto333, .Roo.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,675)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,716)
Katniss falls into the Bella Swan paradigm. Such a bummer. ( )
  MaryJeanPhillips | Jun 22, 2022 |
This is how to write the second book of a series.
Kind of a vague sentence, but I feel like it sums it up. This book was wonderful as well.
Here we meet Beetee (woo!) and other tributes who have won the Games in the years they competed. We see the relationships Katniss developed in the first book deepen in the second. I didn't cry, but juuust had so many feelings. I loved the action in this book and how it was laid out. I loved the descriptions and how the different settings came alive. I love how things were laid out--the clues were there, and even reading the book a second time, the -way- they were laid out made me think a lot. Collins has a real talent, and I enjoy reading her work.

While I mark here that I read it in 2018, I have owned the trilogy since then and read it every year. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 21, 2022 |
Not quite as good as the first book, but still very good. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
Much awaited sequel to "The Hunger Games," I loved every word and didn't want it to stop. For some reason I cannot predict what is going to happen next in this wild idea of a book. I recommend it to everyone who'll listen. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I enjoyed this book more than the first one. I really started to like the characters and to understand what motivates them ( )
  kskristine | May 17, 2022 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol—a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest that she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before . . . and surprising readers at every turn.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

3 2028

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,975,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible